want to know how /casting deck

skinny

ok I got my hands on a older harbourcraft 14ft alum it needs a bit of tlc but it will work for me

I would like to add 2 things to the boat I think maybe a wood floor and for sure a small casting deck in the front.

I forgot to take pictures of the boat before i flipped it back over. My thoughts were to go from the nose back about 1/2 way between the first seat and the second

I'm just not sure how to attach all this into the boat

any one know of any good links for this type of stuff

dave is right - stand on the seats and test it out. If it is okay then I would mount the deck right onto the top of the seats. That is what I did with my old boat and it was very stable, but it was a low riding aluminum. seanymph 14'6. I built in aluminum braces between the seats so that I could add a storage hatch in the deck too.

the P.O said he use to stand on the seats to fish all the time

so i was going withthat now my 12ft there was no way i could stand in it

I did a search for casting decks on the site here without much luck

so ya mabe I'm lame and can't search for the right stuff

do NOT drill thru your hull as that info posted previously suggested!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep it simple and mount it on top of the existing seats. Do not cut out seats as that may affect the structural integrity of the boat. make braces between the seats if u want a hatch - which is a great thing to have. Use cardboard to make a template. then get 3/4" marine plywood (regular plywood with a couple coats of paint will suffice but it may warp if it gets soaked and u stand on it - I used regular stuff and it lasted 3 years just fine. It was free), and cheap marine carpet and glue from home depot.

PM me if u want a pic of my old boat's deck.

If I can do it anyone can - seriously.

Landry

as a few have mentioned, stand in the front of the boat to see if it is stable, let me give you a caution I learned first hand.

put some counter weight in the rear.

I fixed up a 14 foot tinnie with the green stik to seal the rivets and I took it to the creek by my place the day after the ice went out. I tied it to a tree and pushed it out into the creek to check for leaks, seeing none, I went to the bow to grab the rope and the bloody thing lifted at the rear end and over I went into the icy water. this wouldn't have happened if I had put my motor on it.

it is one thing to see if it is sturdy enough to have a deck when it's on the trailer, the real test is in the water.

When I first bought my 12 footer 40+ years ago, I built a simple but functional casting deck. I used 3/8 plywood strips that I had lying around. First I cut the strips (about 18" wide each is what I had) so that they would go from the front of the front seat to the back of the middle seat. I other words the front and and middle seat would be covered. I screwed two pieces of 2X4 to the bottom of the strips so that it would just fit between the two seats. Then I filled the middle gap with what ever I had. I nailed some carpeting (rose coloured) that someone was trowing away. Screwed my marker bouys and holder in the middle near the middle seat. A 1X2 runs across the deck facing me at the back. I notched this so tha I can lean my rod on the deck without scratching it.

From the deck to the front of the boat (bow) is left open ans a small carpet protects the bottom of the boat from the anchor.

All my gear is up on the deck. Extra paddles slide under the middle seat and hidden by the deck, as is the emergency gear. Gas tank is under the deck too. I had to extend the gas line hose to reach the motor. The only thin that is at the back of the boat is the net (if I need it).

The deck comes out easily and weighs about 30 pounds. Cleaning under it is easy and if someone come out with me I just store it in the garage. It snaps in and out like a charm. It is heavy enough that it will not fly off, It is also low enough in the boat that the wind won't affect it. I can light up a ThermalTake and put it on a dish on the deck for late evening fishing.

This is my go to boat for small lakes around here. I can launch it in just about any lake as long as I can get the trailer tires within a foot or so of the water. It's light enough for one person to easily put in and take out. The casting deck is great for fly fishing as the fly line isn't jammed anywhere. Great for surface fishing too. The rest of the time I sit in the back seat.

Worked for me for 40+ years. Repalced the carpet once about 15 years ago. I should mention that it is a very stable boat. It is quite deep for a 12 footer. I get offers for it every year. No thanks I'll keep it.

muddler

Edited by muddler

Worked for me for 40+ years. Repalced the carpet once about 15 years ago. I should mention that it is a very stable boat. It is quite deep for a 12 footer. I get offers for it every year. No thanks I'll keep it.

muddler

My 12' seems to be a deeper boat also. 1 or 2 people on this forum have had the same model...Thornes or something was the brand of mine, how about your's? I was going to buy some thick 1" Ply and put it in the boat with two short pieces or hardwood(5"width) going across the plywood on the under side for middle support...still not sure though.

Heres a thread with a few ideas in it. Gerritt ,I believe, also did a floor and deck reno a few years ago. Also a follow up thread on the rear casting deck frame for my 14ft. Like one of the previous posters said. Don't breach the hull! Good luck and keep us posted on the progress!

Casting Deck

Lund reno

Never saw that before...kick ass job man

I did my 16ft Lund with 1" chrome tube that Home depot sells. Same exact layout as the casting deck link. It worked out fine with 1 cross member that went under the supports to the floor of the boat.

Before proceeding I would try to determine if it is stable enough for a casting deck. Maybe put it in water and stand on the front seat , check it out first.

thats what I did when i made my "make shift" casting deck . stand on the front and or middle seat and slightly rock it..