advice on getting rid of glue behind tub surround liner

mr blizzard

Sadly the ice fishing is winding down, wish it was just starting. But the honey due list has not gone away. I have peeled our tub surround liner off only to find mounds of PL glue left on the tiles which are sound. I have been busting my :asshat: trying to get rid of glue, sanding scraping etc. I had surgery on my hand in the fall and it can only take so much. Any ideas appreciated. Tight lines. :dunno::worthy:

Your outta luck my friend...I'm a cabinetmaker and know your woes all to well...1 way ELBOW GREASE and more then you will ever care to imagine...especially after hand surgery...what are you replacing the surround with??...let me know that and I'll throw ya some options ;)

Your outta luck my friend...I'm a cabinetmaker and know your woes all to well...1 way ELBOW GREASE and more then you will ever care to imagine...especially after hand surgery...what are you replacing the surround with??...let me know that and I'll throw ya some options ;)

I agree whole wholehearted and I am a tile setter

Yah we do.. but if it had a tub surround glued over the tiles he's trying to clean the glue off.. they're useless. If he wants to retile.. knock the drywall off the studs.. cement board it and have at 'er. New tub surround... grind the glue blobs down as smooth as you can and install the new surround.

Yep .. I agree with Wayne .. sometimes we think we are saving time by spending a hundred hours 'cleaning up' something that would just be easier and better if was replaced... I know .. I am guilty as charged ... more than once :)

Yah we do.. but if it had a tub surround glued over the tiles he's trying to clean the glue off.. they're useless. If he wants to retile.. knock the drywall off the studs.. cement board it and have at 'er. New tub surround... grind the glue blobs down as smooth as you can and install the new surround.

That is exactly what I would do..if your trying to take grout off tile forget it...you haven't mentioned tile though so not sure where thats coming from...but if its just glued to drywall and you don't have a 6 inch grinder<---I suggest safety glasses and a dust mask for this method...cut the drywall rip'r down...its about 20 bucks for 2 sheets of watergrade drywall...no need to cement the cracks if your putting tub surround or tile back up...all you need is a olfa knife, a drill, a hammer and a caulking gun and you've got the making of a new tub surround my friend

I'd suggest getting one of these scrapers, the handle is 12 inches long and the blades are 2 1/2 inches long and are pretty durable. I think it will come off with one of these scrapers and some elbow grease.

RCH13320.jpg

Guest gbfisher

I'd be faster to take it down to the studs. Re do drywall or sheetrock for a nice flat surface........patching sucks!!!

Sometimes cutting corners only makes for more work later.

The wife wants it done...tell her to do it,,,you're going fishing.

But seriously...rip it down.

I redid my kitchen and had to take just the tiles down...it was easier to take the drywall down and put new up.

I agree with those who said take her down to the studs. Then replace with cement board as Irishfield mentioned.

If this tub is on an outside wall it's also a good opportunity to check the insulation and vapour barrier as well, assuming there is a vapour barrier. :D

:) If and when you get all the glue off and the tiles are sound and you plan on installing another tub surround put a susbstrate on the tiles first then use your new glue. Some glues will react to hot water once the new surround is installed and begin to swell leaving bumps all over your surround. Use a good quality surround and refasten using contact cement instead of glue. If you have never worked with contact cement talk to someone who has. It can be very tricky. One mistake any your new surround is toast.

The proper way would be to remove all the tiles to the stud walls, install cement board (stay away from drywall or water resistane drywall) and reinstall your new and beautifull surround and ;) you know it will last you twenty five years no matter how much you use it.

i think we are all in agreement here..... hope the original poster sees this.

Except for me, yes do use cement board, but tape the corners and joints, with fiberglass tape and Durabond. The joints only need one coat and the return on wall strength is incredible.

Except for me, yes do use cement board, but tape the corners and joints, with fiberglass tape and Durabond. The joints only need one coat and the return on wall strength is incredible.

Solid advice. Thanks Albert. :)

now we are telling him HOW to do it.... geesh... lol

( i do the same and use durabond 45-- git er dunnnn quick though)

and while we are on it.. if he is gonna put tiles back up.... use epoxy grout... no mold.. no stains...equals no "honey due list" B)

and he still hasn't popped in to get all the help asked for ...

I agree with all the posters saying rip er down to the studs. I redid a bathroom here, 30 yr old home, and after all the issues I found behind the walls and under the floor I was glad I didn't cover it up with another layer.

The cement board recommendations are good, I went with Dens Shield for the walls, great product, I found it easier to work with. I used Cement board for building the threshold for extra strength and found the easiest way to cut it was with a circular saw.

Did a full stand up shower with tiled walls over Dens Shield about a year ago and she looks as good as she did the day I finished grouting.

:worthy::rolleyes::worthy: Thanks for all your advise and help regarding the tub surround. I had to go down to T.O. last night to see a family member who has just recently had some big time surgery. I appreciate everyones input. Instead of trying to get the PL off I will take your advice and go down to the studs and put up cement board. Thanks for all your help again. There is still hope to hit the ice next week.

Thanks again for everyone who sincerely tried to help ,

It was 7 years ago last week since my daughter past away,

THE HIGHLITE OF OUR ICE FISHING THIS YEAR WAS FISHING FOR TYLER It was our way of giving back to a great family when we were assisted 7 years ago,

I have never posted without acknowleding those who have responded and will continue to do so as others have done in return, that is what makes the OFC great.

Sincerely thanks again and sorry I was not home much yesterday after making the posting.