Ice fishing for small mouth bass. Harmfull or harmless?

Fishing 24/7

Well guys i have to ask this very importnat question.

what do you think about ice fishing for bass?

iv hear some of you get pretty upset about it. but here in quebec the season is open and its very legal.

but first here are the facts!

when im ice fishing for bass.

i get them shallow i mean not more than 15 FOW.

i dont go ice fishing when the weather is -20 oC so there gils and eyes are fine.

i catch and release them all the time i dont eat bass.

i want to know what you think about this.

and if someone has the fact about this not beeing good i have to know.

i dont want to harm my preciouse lakes for the futur of angling ! :Gonefishing:

all comment are welcome on this topic

Edited by fishing 24/7

Unless you're eating them, which I generally don't do, I don't see the point. Relatively speaking how can any game fish caught through the ice fight anything like they do in the summer, i would rather see them caught in the summer. For me ice fishing is just a way of getting fish on the table, catching a 'fighting' fish for sport through the ice doesn't make sense to me.

But to each his own, i don't begrudge anyone for doing it if it is legal.

Unless you're eating them, which I generally don't do, I don't see the point. Relatively speaking how can any game fish caught through the ice fight anything like they do in the summer, i would rather see them caught in the summer. For me ice fishing is just a way of getting fish on the table, catching a 'fighting' fish for sport through the ice doesn't make sense to me.

But to each his own, i don't begrudge anyone for doing it if it is legal.

why would fighting/catching any GameFish in the winter be any different then fight them in the summer, except jumping fish can't jump

I don't get your comments

and I would say lake trout fight harder in the winter

and you should try carp through the ice, no there is some fun

what a thrill fighting a fish with a little tiny rod and the added difficulty of getting him up through the hole. and your limited to where you can go. your basically stuck at one spot on the lake and cant troll or work areas for fish and also the added difficulty lures, theres a limited amount of lures for ice fishing compared to soft water fishing.

Guest steel'n'esox

Bass fishing is legal in Quebec lucky for you, as a previous thread said you are doing all things right in pursuing your sport, far better than the bent jaw holds I see Bass guys do for their glory shots, and been cramed into a livewell with 4 other bass driving around a lake waiting for weigh in, only to be taken out once again for more bent jaw pictures and released back into the lake

nope no pm's just wondering why people stop replying on my threads.

seems like people dont apreciate the reports about small mouth beeing caught in the winter times.

iv heard enough.

im a C& R only guy.

so i dont see any harm done to these fish.

on my reports iv seen people BASH me for catching them thru the ice. yet no one has ''proven'' to me that its harmfull..

ill keep you guys updated on this specific lake.

as I am maybe the best resource there is out there.

i will be targetting small mouth threw the whole year winter , summer and fall.

so for the next 5 years.

keep reading these reports. and if the small mouth get rare then.

its harmfull.

if its gets better.

then its harmeless

Post a report about your favourite shoe laces and you'll get replies 24/7.. seems to be where we've gone in the last year or so...

Nobody seems interested enough to respond to the actual fishing reports anymore.

As far as I'm concerned, bass should be open all year everywhere in Ontario. Few eat them anyhow.. can't see it denting the population.

fishing 24/7 I take issue with miss stephanie out-fishing you most of the time in your postings. Come on you're making us males look bad. :lol: kudos to her. :thumbsup_anim:

I enjoy your posts and from the smiles on your faces its nice to see you're all having a good time fishing.

Edited by Syn

As far as I'm concerned, bass should be open all year everywhere in Ontario. Few eat them anyhow.. can't see it denting the population.

Agreed. The fisheries folks in south/central Ontario seem to think that our bass are far more fragile than their northern cousins in Quebec, Wisconsin and Northern Ontario. The bass season here is ridiculously short.

24/7: keep up the good work. I love the fish pics, but have never understood the draw of ice fishing.

Guest steel'n'esox

I enjoy your big winter smallmouth reports as well, and 2nd Waynes thoughts on them been open year round, except at spawning time as they are very protective of there nest, the guys who go out and fish for them at that time do far more harm to the resourse even by releasing them

ive always wondered why i never catch bass in the winter. when i fish for perch or walleye or pike on softwater i catch tons of bass. when i ice fish for these species thru the ice i never catch any bass. come to think of it i never catch any perch pike or walleye thru the ice either...

It does the same harm as catching any other spring spawner in the winter. I SAID IT! And catching fish in the winter also does as much or less damage as catching fish in the summer. If someone doesn't like it, and its legal, who cares. Everybody always mixes up the difference between ethics and the law.

Just to make myself clear, I'm on your side for this one.