need snowmobile help!

12pointer

There are snowmobile forums that can answer your question, but I'm gonna guess-121" by 16'. Number of studs depends on why you want to stud it in the first place. I assume for traction and safety with that type of sled- not straight line performance. Any good shop can advise you, but I would think 40 to 60 studs might suffice.

it was an odd ball size i believe 16.5x124.

on 121" tracks i'd run 96 studs up the middle with double backers staggered, so i'd order 100 studs. you can still slide around the corners and feel like it did before but with better traction taking off, slowly down. if you run the 144 studs with them on the outside it changes the feel and you get alot of hook up on the corners, if you arent use it and not careful you can easily flip the sled coming in a little to hot into a corner.

when your done with royal distributing, check this site out .

any questions you have will get answered there.

royal is about the best place to buy from.

i studded my sled and they told me how to,how many to use and what to use.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?&a...543b044ead03c17

Edited by skeeter

Why do you want to stud a 1994 503?

For a 121" track you are going to need 96 studs minimum at over $3.00 each plus installation. The track is 15 years old and getting ripe. You will be lucky to not loose them the first time you nail it to cross a road.

Unless you have a lake that you need to get to up an icy hill they will do you no good. Slow down earlier when you need to stop and don't go ripping across glare ice. you may be finding it slippery on lakes this year, but this is a strange year.

I run over 2,000 miles a year and have never had studs.

i got a 1993 rally 503. i got a complete service manual! if you want it pm me and i'll see if i can send it! im pretty sure the track size is either 16.5" or 16.7"....... i dont think its 15".... yup just checked 16.5" wide the length is 124". by the way with this machine there is no need for studs. glare ice is not really an issue if you ride safe.

Edited by bigredneck

studs are great to have, they make them for a reason and are on alot of sleds. just 96 up the middle and your laughing. they definitely help you in icey conditions and help stop with braking and cornering. alot of ppl complain about guys without studs that slide around corners on the trails icing them up and ripping up and tearing up the trail gunning it and spinning out. and ya my sled doesnt have studs, i dont think they make studs long enough for my paddle track, i do miss studs but dont trail ride enough anymore to care or justify buying them.

Edited by worm dangler

studs are a waste of money.

ya ok

get on a trail with an icy corner and youll see why you need studs, youll be the one hitting the tree while the sled with studs have no problem coming out of the that corner

Snowmobiling is dangerous enough, studs are for traction which equals safety regardless of being ridden on the lake or the trail

In my life I've put on well over 50 000kms on a snowmobile and riding without studs is just plain stupid you may aswell ride a 250cc class sled with no brakes

for a small fan cooled sled with les than 80hp 2/bar or 48 studs are fine for light riding as you get more power and and ride more agresivly more studs is needed

Ice is unpredictable on most large lakes I can't count the amount of time I've had to cross a little water to get back to shore when a pressure crack open's up

just my 2 cents

i'm 30 years old and have yet to run itno a tree on a trail.

there's a difference between "needing studs" and "driving responsibly"...

I don't have them right now but I like sliding in the corners.

I have to take it easy on icey roads where the guys with studs can hit it.

They have a purpose and either way you have to know your limitations.

As I said before for the OP, this is a strange winter and it will cost you at least $300.00 to stud that track.

Less than 96 is a waste of money