Do you know CPR?

kickingfrog

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDi....aspx?e=2460932

Maybe this hits home more for me because I have a 14 month old of my own, or because I just did my recert last Tuesday.

'The life was leaving him'

EMERGENCY: Quick thinking saves young boy's life

Posted By NICKI CRUICKSHANK

Aunt urges residents to take CPR trainingORO-MEDONTE TWP. -- It was one tiny cracker. A quick snack for little Noah Espey.

But seconds after popping the Cheese Nip in his mouth, the two-year-old was in Sarah Beer's arms, slowly choking to death.

"It was my worst nightmare happening," said Beer, Noah's aunt, still visibly shaken a few days after the incident. "I keep remembering him in my arms, turning blue, seeing the life slowly slipping out of him."

Beer is still haunted by the terrifying event that unfolded on Feb. 13, when her nephew and his mother, Natalie were at her Oro-Medonte home for a play date.

Noah and Beer's two-year-old son, Lukas, were given crackers to munch on. But snack time turned to trauma when a cracker became stuck in Noah's windpipe.

His mother called 911, and Beer jumped in to put the training she learned three years ago while taking a CPR course.

"I heard Natalie say, 'Noah, what's wrong, honey?' and when I looked at him, his eyes were glassy and rolling back," Beer said, her eyes widening as she recounted the event. "I ran to him, took him from the chair and he wasn't breathing.

"I knew he was choking, so I started pounding on his back with my hand the way they teach you in training for a small child," she added. "I flipped him over and he was grey. His lips went blue and then he started turning purple. The life was leaving him."

Noah was without air more than two minutes while Beer performed CPR, determined to save her nephew's life.

"It was the longest two minutes of my life and I still have anxiety over it," Beer said. "I turned him over, facing him down on my knee again, and banged on his back again, until I heard gurgling.

"The cracker had come out of his windpipe and into his mouth enough that I reached in and grabbed it. I cut my fingers on his teeth ripping it out."

An ambulance ride and a hospital visit later, Noah was brought home breathing well and without injuries from the

CPR.

Beer's actions saved Noah's life, but she accredits her CPR training as the real hero. She's made it her personal mission now to promote the training and wants everyone to get it.

"If I didn't have this training, I wouldn't have been able to save him," Beer said, fighting back tears as she replayed the fearful day in her head. "The only way I can cope with the image of my sweet nephew nearly dying in my arms is to tell everyone I know to get the training.

"Even though I was trained three years ago, I knew what to do and had some control over the situation. I think absolutely everyone should know the basics," she added.

Melissa Nickason, of St. John Ambulance in Barrie, agrees.

Every minute a person goes without CPR or AED their chance of survival decreases by 10%.

Nickason believes more residents should receive the training so that more lives could potentially be saved.

A 2008 study published in the New England Journal of Medicine showed CPR skills among Canadians are poor, with only 15% of residents knowing how to perform it.

"Ontario is dead last from every other province for having people trained in CPR and prepared for an emergency situation," Nickason said. "In our area, it's pretty steady and training numbers haven't dropped. But it's mostly places of employment who are signing up to have employees trained.

"It's hard to track how many residential training numbers there are," she added. "We try to encourage families to come and get trained. Children should know the basics in case something happens in the home."

St. John Ambulance offers a free day of CPR training on Nov. 13 each year at the Lampman Lane Community Centre in Barrie. Nickason said it's always well attended.

"Last year, we had a lot of families come out. Parents, kids and even grandparents trained together," she said. "With the increase of defibrillators in public places, that goes hand-in-hand with bringing awareness of CPR out more."

Besides the free day, you can always pay to take a course. The basic eight-hour course is $95. It can be booked by visiting www.sja.caand clicking the Barrie-Simcoe-Muskoka link.

Nickason said it might seem expensive, but it's a good investment.

"Can you really put a price or a time limit on saving a life?" she said. "If you don't have time to come for training, we can come to your house to teach you the basics. That's great for new moms, especially."

Beer thinks it should be a compulsory part of school life for students, teaching them the life-saving skills early.

"I think it should be taught in school. It's a life skill that every child should have," she said. "I think parents should want this taught to their children. I think every family should take CPR."

ncruickshank @ thebarrieexaminer.com

I agree it would be good to have everyone trained and competent at this.

But truthfully if you don't use it you lose it. Meaning even with the training how many could actually perform CPR properly?Since 1980 I have been certified...my company sends me to get re-certified every 2-3 years. Having said that I would be terrified to actually have to do it to someone, cause I am just not 100% sure I would be doing it correctly. I would 100% for sure be right in there to help out if someone's life was on the line, but that person would be way better off if someone else stepped in to help instead of me. Ideally someone else would step in and I could go for a timmies run and get a coffee for the hero and the victim while all the stressful stuff is going down :D

Read that story in the paper today. Scary stuff. Same thing happened to my oldest when he was 3 - choked on a grape and couldn't breath. Fortunately we were able to dislodge it (via heimlich rather than hit on back) and he was fine...dad on the other hand was shaking for hours afterwards

Read that story in the paper today. Scary stuff. Same thing happened to my oldest when he was 3 - choked on a grape and couldn't breath. Fortunately we were able to dislodge it (via heimlich rather than hit on back) and he was fine...

The "heimlich" now properly referred to as abdominal thrusts is the proper technique for dislodging an airway obstruction from a conscious choking casualty over 1 year old. Thankfully even though an improper method was used in the original story they were successful.

I have been a certified instructor for First Aid & CPR through St. John Ambulance for 10 years. I also teach the Advanced Medical First Responder course which includes things like advanced causality assessment, CPR for the health care professional, defibrillator, oxygen administration & airway management, back boarding & traction splints.

Most people who receive first aid training do it through work and are trained to the standards as set by Workers Compensation. These do not include infant & child choking or CPR for infants and children. For those with children or grandchildren in particular I recommending upgrading your training to CPR-C standards which include infant & child choking & CPR.

CPR retraining is recommended to be done yearly as it is a skill that will be lost without practice.

I also volunteer with the St. John Ambulance Brigade providing first aid coverage at many local events. If this is something you may be interested in contact your local St. John Ambulance Brigade or feel free to PM me for more information.

Be Safe: Rick

Just some added info....i am doing my Medical First Responder course in school and have my first aid and CPR already. My instructor told me that you are only covered insurance wise for 1 year on your CPR. I mean from getting lawsuits against you fi something goes wrong in the middle of performing CPR. This is coming from a St. John's Ambulance instructor. So it may be a good idea to recert your CPR every year but your first aid is good for 3 years insurance wise. They are a very important thing to have!!

I hear ya Charlied.. but if people are going to start worrying about if they are insured before helping someone, we have to wonder what the world has come to.

1976.. when I was 14 and my brother was 21, with us doing ski patrol at Sydenham (sp) in Kingston.. we found a girl blue on the hill. She fell down and the wad of gum she was chomping on blocked her trach. Brother did a small incision tracheotomy and used his bic pen as a tube. (he was a Queens med student at the time). The girls parents launched a civil suit against my brother for assult and the cosmetic damage to their daughter. Guess they would have rather had her dead... :wallbash:

I've had to perform CPR on more than 10 occasions and it's never pleasant .. the outcome isn't always good. :(

But when you do have a good outcome... they say that signing your donor card is the "Gift Of Life" they're right.

And so is having your CPR!!!! :D

Certified since 1986 and re-trained every 6 months.... I'll tell ya It sure has went through many a change.

RFS

:canadian:

yup, got my cpr training last year.

i've heard a few sad stories of some people helping others, even saving lives and they get charged for it. in my opinion if someone saves your life even if something does go wrong you should be greatfull your still alive.

ACTUALLY, when i lived in bowmanville there was a guy that lived behind my buddies shop in oshawa. he apparently (according to him) he saved someones life by defending them in a time of need from a killer (or murderer whatever you prefer). This somewhat "homeless" guy lost everything. hardly any money and lives in a tiny, run down, hard side trailer. all for saving an inncoent life from being "lost"......

Been certified for many years and back in the 1990's, I was also a CPR instructor. Boy how things have changed since then. I've had to do CPR more times than I can remember. What a thrill it is to know that once in a while, someone will be able to go home again - and that it wasn't a one-way trip. Ya just never know.

Remember - the next time it could be your spouse or a loved one - and you're their last chance of seeing tomorrow.

Edited by Rich Clemens

my brother was 21, with us doing ski patrol at Sydenham (sp) in Kingston.. we found a girl blue on the hill. She fell down and the wad of gum she was chomping on blocked her trach. Brother did a small incision tracheotomy and used his bic pen as a tube. (he was a Queens med student at the time). The girls parents launched a civil suit against my brother for assult and the cosmetic damage to their daughter. Guess they would have rather had her dead... :wallbash:

My guess is that they also won that suit as your bother was performing a medical act for which he had no license. My guess is the resorts insurance settled out of court.

Giving first aid is far different than giving medical treatment.

When providing first aid if you abide by the Principles of the Good Samaritan as taught on your course there will be no legal grounds for a law suit. If you fail to abide by these principles than yes you can be sued & I highly doubt anyone carries insurance for negligence in performing first aid outside the Principles of the Good Samaritan.

I have always found it odd that as a teacher I don't have to have first aid. I have to have a TB test and a police records check (wonderful things both) but no first aid training. And me a shop teacher. Having said that the phys. ed. department produces the most injuries, but same same, no first aid.

I have a question for those with their training: Does it get easier once you are trained, to deal with injuries and cuts? That is to say if one is not usually cut out fir that sort of thing, does the training dispel some myths/fears and make dealing with situations easier?

Jim

My guess is that they also won that suit as your bother was performing a medical act for which he had no license. My guess is the resorts insurance settled out of court.

Giving first aid is far different than giving medical treatment.

When providing first aid if you abide by the Principles of the Good Samaritan as taught on your course there will be no legal grounds for a law suit. If you fail to abide by these principles than yes you can be sued & I highly doubt anyone carries insurance for negligence in performing first aid outside the Principles of the Good Samaritan.

Actually the judge threw it out and lambasted the parents and their lawyer! She had a 1/2" scar and alive to live her life out. Other option was DOA...

I have a question for those with their training: Does it get easier once you are trained, to deal with injuries and cuts? That is to say if one is not usually cut out fir that sort of thing, does the training dispel some myths/fears and make dealing with situations easier?

Jim

The best answer I can give to that question is sometimes. Yes it can dispel some myths and fears but it depends on the person. I have had people in my class pass out when the video dealing with a severed artery is shown. I have my doubts they would be of much use in a serious situation. Experience in actually performing first aid is the best way to get better at it. The training gives you the basics. Practice improves the results. One course every 3 years will not make you a good first aider but hopefully will get you thinking in the right direction.

I have never had to use it (knock on wood) but I have CPR and Defib training for work.

The instructor told us of two stories where those who had administered first aid where sued.

1. a lady was embarrassed that her blouse and bra where ripped off when compressions were administered. (If it's me in the future, feel to strip me and keep the clothes)

2. a man had a couple ribs broken from CPR after he was found VSA and brought back to life. (personally, I'd donate an arm to research after)

Sad, but these and others stories wouldn't scare me to act if I had to.

Edited by Harrison

I recall back in 1982 I had to take a first aid,cpr course through work because we worked in the bush with power saws and brush hooks. I was a surveyor at the time. Well on the last day of training which was a friday and a payday too boot, I went to the bank to cash my cheque. The bank was really busy and the fella in front off me in line collapsed and was having an epileptic seizure. I went into action with the casualty and the bank called the ambulance. I have never seen a bank clear out so fast when I looked up it was empty except for me and another gentleman. When the ambulance and the cops showed up I just went to a teller and did my business and slid out the door to no fanfare. Thats when I realized how important it is to know, even if its the basics. It's been about 6 yrs since I was recerified and this thread has reminded me to get to take the course over again. Thanks