Saltwater fishing question

WeedLine

Hey guys/gals, just wanted to know if saltwater will damage my reels when I go to Costa Rica. I was hoping to bring a shimano Calcutta and a shimano Stadic. If so I'll just bring some junky beater reels with me. Thanks

Telly I just got back from Belize and used the same reels.. You can use your freshwater gear but remember to completely submerge them in warm water every night... I forgot to rinse them on one of the nights and did get some corrosion on my stradic, but hey, it's all about character!!

cheers

HD

Thanks alot fellas. I screwed up a reel once fishing it in salt water even though I rinsed it. Fidel, maybe this time I'll submerge it like you said. If I catch anything I'll make a post.

Everybody has their methods... If the reel isn't dropped in the salt, it shouldn't need to be taken apart and methodically cleaned and oiled... a lupe warm bath followed by a quick rince outta do it.

I'm sure you'll have a blast out there. Just remember, never loose sight of your camera. I made that mistake at Heathrow and lost a brand new dslr with about 500 shots of our trip... That's the only reason I didn't put up a spread.. It would have been useless without pichures.

Good luck!

You will be fine with the saltwater I fish fresh/brackish and saltwater with my equipment and hose them off after the trip. I don't submerge them in water unless I submerged them in salt water though. Once in awhile I remove the covers and check the grease/oil for water (white and waxie) and clean and lube as needed. Dont forget to rinse the line spool assembly well it is were the saltwater hides and it will corrode the line pickup or guide on the reel.

Art

I always use a Silicone protectant on a dry reel and do not wipe it off. The line conditioner works well also. Then just rince off with warm water. If a reel is properly lubed and oiled it does not need to be re done just because it was in the salt. I use Daiwa outta luck reels as the drag is sealed and its a washable reel. Never had a roblem, ever. I also use this rel cnditioner all the time no matter the salt or not. I fine the sand up here to be the worst culprit on any gear. Salt is the same.