Not too cool Shimano!!

bucktail

Yah, shut up everybody and listen to the TV celeb with the Shimano contract!!

Jim

Isnt this the same as shooting yourself in the foot. I just finished listening to JPD at a local bass club meeting and let me tell you. Research it and you will see that I'm not a fan of Shimano this year for their products but from listening to him first and then seeing the new stuff for this year he made me go out and think about where Shimano is wanting to be. I basically had to eat crow. Lol. I'm a die hard G Loomis fan when it comes to rods but even though he had those and did an amazing demo on them I had to Molest the new Cumulus sticks. Wow is all I have to say. Because of him I will probally have those GLX rods and the Cumulus rods on my boat this year. Great spokesman for their products.

Second : The fact that he has a contract with them has nothing to do with what the question of comments at hand are about. He meerly stated that he thought that Bass Pro and Shimano Canada will be included in the reel rebates as well as the topic started noting that the site still links you to the USA website. I would assume he knows what he is talking about. Not that he needs defending, he is big and ugly enough to do this for himself but that was a silly comment. If everyone thinks that beinging sponsored is a peice of cake. Try doing it sometimes. Not a cake walk and a job aside from a normal job all on its own. This guy does a hell of a job of doing so as well, How many guys do you see with a show or sponsorship/ etc come on private forums such as him or Dave Mercer,Not many at all. They are not paid to do that. Thats where their passion and dedication come into play, no need to attack character at all.

3rd: If someone looks for trouble they will create it or find always. You cant please everyone. I have stated before that Shimano has done more for kids charities then any other company out there. I'm a Daiwa fan also, a die hard but they have not done as much for Kids/Groups/Charities etc than Shimano, for that I have stated they can never be touched. Look at the USA stuff such a rebates we are not eligable for. There are 2 shimanos. Shimano USA and Shimano Canada. Both do so much for each country then you could possible imagine.

Edited by smalliefisher

Well Jim, that's why I would imagine, he knows whats going on with Shimano, now wouldn't it....

I am not sure what it means TJ. Judging by the reaction to the disclaimer on the web ad for the event I am assuming that this is the first time that BPS has excluded Shimano (?). JP is saying that they have participated in the past, which does not mean that they are participating now.

Now, if one of the many from BPS that lurk here want to step up and state yes or no, that might be a different story.

I hope for JP's sake that Shimano are participating since he has been made de facto Shimano Canada spoke person.

Second : The fact that he has a contract with them has nothing to do with what the question of comments at hand are about. He meerly stated that he thought that Bass Pro and Shimano Canada will be included in the reel rebates as well as the topic started noting that the site still links you to the USA website. I would assume he knows what he is talking about. Not that he needs defending, he is big and ugly enough to do this for himself but that was a silly comment. If everyone thinks that beinging sponsored is a peice of cake. Try doing it sometimes. Not a cake walk and a job aside from a normal job all on its own. This guy does a hell of a job of doing so as well, How many guys do you see with a show or sponsorship/ etc come on private forums such as him or Dave Mercer,Not many at all. They are not paid to do that. Thats where their passion and dedication come into play, no need to attack character at all.

Are you for real?

Look, I am sorry for tugging on Superman's cape, and am thrilled to see that everyone doesn't have the level of cynicism that I do, but are you for real?

Also, I was not attacking JP's character at all. I was not saying that he was lying or misrepresenting anything. I was commenting on Bill's comment that the thread should essentially end because JP DeRose had spoken. Sorry, I know that I anger many people on this board (including the important ones) when I do anything but throw rose pedals at the feet of our more famous brothers.

Maybe I have recognition issues (among many other issues) who knows?

Sorry if I offended anyone, but for every hero worshipper there has to be a cynic. It's what makes everyone else average.

Jim

If yo go to the link and click on it, and then click on the CANADIAN MARKETS LINK you get this flyer, and theres no mention of Shimano not participating..

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...rade_in_can.cfm

reel_trade_in_can.jpg

Also, on top of that I have been assured by BPS that Shimano Products ARE included.

nuff said.

Yes Mike, you would get $40 off. Great choice with the Curado. Let me know when you are going to the show and I can try to be there and set it up for you and show you a couple of tricks. I'll also be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday but those are after the reel trade in days.

Yes Mike, you would get $40 off. Great choice with the Curado. Let me know when you are going to the show and I can try to be there and set it up for you and show you a couple of tricks. I'll also be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday but those are after the reel trade in days.

Really eh? Some tricks would be nice. It's going on a 7'2" MH rod, I'm only fishing jigs in the 3/8-1/2oz class. I'm a little confused on line, I will be fishing clear not so weedy waters but also some weedy waters. Not sure if I should do mainline braid/fluoro leader or straight 20 or 25lb Fluorocarbon line.

I'll look for ya

Look, I am sorry for tugging on Superman's cape, and am thrilled to see that everyone doesn't have the level of cynicism that I do, but are you for real?

Also, I was not attacking JP's character at all. I was not saying that he was lying or misrepresenting anything. I was commenting on Bill's comment that the thread should essentially end because JP DeRose had spoken. Sorry, I know that I anger many people on this board (including the important ones) when I do anything but throw rose pedals at the feet of our more famous brothers.

Maybe I have recognition issues (among many other issues) who knows?

Sorry if I offended anyone, but for every hero worshipper there has to be a cynic. It's what makes everyone else average.

Jim

Radnine... Just to give you a heads up, I'm not looking to stir the pot and I will not be dragged into an online battle. Please feel free to post your opinion after if you feel like it.

This is obviously in regards to your last post that I quoted above and not for anything but I don't really know where I have asked to be considered special. I have been a member of the OFC community for a lot of years, I try to help out with prizing whenever possible but I just don't post all that much since most days are fairly busy for me. I come on this board to help people and if a question regarding a product that I know about comes up, I sometimes offer my experience with it. Calling me "Superman" or a "famous brother" is insulting since I am no different than any other fisherman/woman on this site so why should my posts be scrutinized by you?

Is it because I have a show? Maybe because I happen to have sponsors? My answering the question was because people were misinformed and I knew the actual answer. Bill M simply stated that I answered what all the complaining was about yet it continued after I posted. Should the conversation stop because I posted?... HECK NO! Should the whining about Shimano not participating in the reel trade in at BPS stop... YES! it should have and whether it was me, TJ, Bill or any other board member who answered the question... it shouldn't have mattered. Would you have taken offense if it were someone other than me posting that information? Someone not sponsored by Shimano?

I know that you don't know me from Adam but just to give you a heads up, I, like you and probably just about every other board member here, LOVE TO FISH! I just happened to be lucky enough to have had a show fall on my lap :dunno: Don't ask me how, it really just kind of fell into place from fishing tournaments, a simple case of right place, right time.

Do I think I am the only one who can do what I do? NO WAY! Do I think there are a bunch of great fishermen on this site that know a ton of information and are capable of doing what I do? HECK YES! Am I the lucky one in this deal? ABSOLUTELY! What does appear obvious to me is that you have a problem with me being on here or any promoting being put out there... you've even told a member to leave OFC for two weeks so you can post what you want to during the Olympics... and he's a great contributing member who was asking for something that was not at all unreasonable since many other members were in the same boat (no pun intended) Putting "Spoiler" in the Olympic chat title isn't that taxing is it?

Thankfully some members actually appreciate my advice and although I know I do not have the correct answer for every question I am willing to take the time when I do. I am not a snake oil salesman looking to Spam everyone with any company who's willing to flip me some free crap and I truly believe that I know the products that I represent very well and believe in them fully which is most important to me. That is why I do not have 20 sponsors... nor do I want that many. The one's that I have, I use, have confidence referring people to purchase them and know that if anything should happen, customer service will be there to solve any issues. Besides that I am pretty busy running my "real" job to be able to do the job properly for more companies.

What you may also notice is that I never try to put down a competitor's product because that is just wrong on so many levels, unlike many people here who seem to like the Chevy vs. Ford, Shimano vs St. Croix, my rod is better than your's type debates. I have also given advice on plenty of products that I am not sponsored by like the Gulp! Tray which somehow set you off? Frogg Toggs, Motor help or Electronics/Trolling motors... the funny thing is that I have owned them all and have used them all so I do think I am entitled to my opinion... that is unless it somehow offends you?

You are more than welcome to continue chipping away at me as I make posts if it makes you sleep better at night, I have thick skin and have gotten used to it since getting more involved in the industry... One thing I do know is that it isn't me you're making look foolish!

Best Regards

JP

Last time I checked this post was locked???? Why is it now it's open?? I've read the whole thing and it really seems fairly petty...Clearly you were linked to the wrong site...Problem solved mistakes were made get over it everyone....I come to this site because it's helped me become a better fisherman...and in turn I've tried to help people in return through my experiences....Do I care if JP Derose is on here no...Do I like it, without a doubt, but I feel I get the same kind of advice from each of you that he would give me and time and time again its payed off....I get the hard water is in and were all ancy but this is a forum for help, advice, encouragement, and lets face it who doesn't mind getting their ego stroked with a few wicked pics now and again...So relock this drivel and lets all focus on what really counts....and no for the record not saying the kids don't count but that issue has been solved...SPRING IS COMING!!!! Hold on boys the cage door will be open soon enough!!!

just my opinion....hate mail will not be responded too :blink:

Happy to hear shimmano is still open to the reel trade in, here in ONT.

a few years back when we were at par or better then USD I planned on buying the Chronarch down in Georgia while on a family trip and found out the hard way that shimmano didnt take part in the deal.. was kind of ticked off.. but then ended up getting a STX Revo instead. and have been VERY happy with it ever since.. tho last year I baught the curado E for a wicked deal at the reel trade in here at the clasic

Sorry JPD but this part of your comment does not sit well with me "Should the whining about Shimano not participating in the reel trade in at BPS stop... YES! "

Its not right to stifle other peoples opinions. Shimano US is NOT participating in the reel program when all other reel manufacturers are.

I have loved Shimano products for many years beginning with Shimano derailleurs and groupos in the mid 80's, moving onwards to their fishing reels. I love technology and Shimano has been at the forefront at adding new reel features although that won't necessarily make me a better fisherman lol. Even recently got yet another Stradic added to my gear.

But at the same time Shimano is making money hand over fist in the International market. Its nice that Shimano Canada is participating but compared to the American market we are small fry. Shimano US is NOT participating in the reel program and this will influence my future purchases of Shimano products in the future.

I was really surprised by Shimano not giving a spare graphite spool with their $114 reel. Really? How much does a graphite spool cost them? They'd rather sell the spare retail for $15-20. Them not participating in the reel for kids program is yet another dick move. I just don't like the direction Shimano is going.

When this entire topic was about the BPS store in Vaughan, why are you assuming that he is talking about anything else BUT Shimano Canada?

Think about it for a bit...

hmm nothing in the original post stating "Canada" or "Vaughn" so why are you assuming it only about Shimano Canada for discussion?

Edited by Syn

My apologies it was the "last post goodbye " I read that was locked...and the fact there not applying these same savings on to a huge american market...to a charity for kids is a bit disheartening to say the least...will definetly affect my purchases in the future...in my opinion it has no reflection on JP, aside from the fact he has now become the Shimano vs OFC referee...don't wish that on anyone

hmm nothing in the original post stating "Canada" or "Vaughn" so why are you assuming it only about Shimano Canada?

Ah, I forgot that most of the guys from around here would be driving to Detroit or Auburn NY to trade in their reels..

Silly me.

Ah, I forgot that most of the guys from around here would be driving to Detroit or Auburn NY to trade in their reels..

Silly me.

What does that have anything to do with the discussion of "Shimano and their participation the kids reel program." The original post has NO mention of Shimano Canada. Shimano is an International company, just because it does not effect me personally, does not mean I should close my eyes. We live in a global economy and about half my stuff now comes from American retailers. There is not guarantee that Shimano Canada won't stop participation in the next few years. I hope not.

edit: This Shimano thread for me (won't presume to tell others to shut up, that would be rude) does have a political tinge to it because Shimano is an huge international company. Should I not care if it happens outside our Canadian border?

Edited by Syn

Just where do you think 99% of the people on this site would be trading in their reels? Why is it such a huge stretch of the imagination to think he was talking about the BPS in Vaughan?

Nothing more then a bit of common sense.

Again that has nothing to do with the Shimano not participating in the reel for kids program. If the original post said "Shimano Canada" or "Vaughn BPS" then you would be correct but it does not. I am not talking what JPD said. I know he is talking about BPS Vaughn from his comment.

I am responding to you and your comment which was "When this entire topic was about the BPS store in Vaughan, why are you assuming that he is talking about anything else BUT Shimano Canada?"

The entire topic is not about "BPS store in Vaughan". If you read the original post again it says "Shimano" and "BPS" not "Shimano Canada" or "Vaughn BPS" and since BPS AND Shimano are both international companies then it is valid to include other countries besides Canada for discussion.

That is in the US. As far as I know they always have and will continue to do it here in Vaughan.

Syn, with all due respect I did mention that they weren't doing this in the US. I knew about this and it has nothing to do with Shimano not supporting the kids... it has everything to do with holding the market on the prices South of the Border so that they don't hurt their thousands of other retailers. Don't forget how small Canada is as a market.

Sage is no different across the world... they set the prices on their rods and the retailers have to abide by it or lose their right to sell the product if Sage finds out. Many companies use this strategy and when you have a great product and respect for your retailers you can do this.(and no, I'm not saying other companies don't have respect for their retailers) The premise is that they don't want retailers to low ball each other and work for nothing. I for one would appreciate it if I was selling the product.

Fortunately for us here in Canada, Shimano (Canada) has decided to participate in the reel trade in... I say we're lucky and that's it. But you're saying since one store does it North of the border you're going to pass judgment on the entire company on a global market? Sorry you feel that way Syn and you are right, you're entitled to your opinion whether I agree with it or not (which shouldn't really matter anyway). :lol:

JP

I don`t know why Shimano USA decided not to do the reel trade in this year but I am sure Shimano world wide does their fair share for charities.

I for one like having guys like JP and DM around here they are good for OFC, JP was particularly helpful a little while back when I was looking at a certain rod he took the time to answer the PM I sent him and the advice was helpful.

Listen fishing and fishing products are big business and companies spend big bucks promoting their products and part of that is sponsoring walking and talking billboards like J.P. DeRose and Dave Mercer does it get a cheesy sometimes sure it does but in my opinion they are good for the sport and good for OFC.