Fustrated

pike slayer

Yes, i have to do something, just looking for opinions, advice, etc. before i make my next move, i dont want to make an implusive descision and regret it later. i realize there are alot of others out there in the same boat and wanted to here from them or from others that got out of the boat and overcame the same situation i'm in now.

My buddy matt and i have been talking for years about opening our own business, we do side work together but we don't get enough to quit our day jobs. maybe one day it'll happen.

and ya im not sure if i want to work in that essar, i'll be dead by 55 haha! but if it comes down to it i might have to, it is an option, i think lol.

As a former tradesman who saw the light, please see the following points:

- There are more people making a living out of selling the dream of apprenticeships that there are actually doing apprenticeships.

- Ask everyone (usually teachers) that tells you how great the trades are how come they are not working in them anymore.

- What are the rest of the "smoking area Prophets" doing that you went to high school with?

- When your teachers and parents begged you to apply yourself, and you knew better, this is what you were setting yourself up for.

- If you think it is bad now, wait until you are 45 with no pension plan and bad joints and humping shingles up a ladder when it's -20 outside.

- You are young. Get an education, somewhere, and get on with making a decent life for yourself while you still can.

- Before everyone comes down on me like a ton of bricks, I went from a spotty 50 grand a year to 90 grand in 9 months with one year of education. Pooh Pooh all you want, but I have seen both sides.

Jim

Edited by Radnine

You guys that are bad mouthing Algoma Steel make it sound like its a dive and you'll instantly die as soon as you walk through the gate. It's not anywhere near as bad as some of the guys on here are making it seem.

And for a job that starts you at 25$ an hour PLUS benefits and pension in a Union is a pretty damned good deal.

As for dying at 55....I work with about 20 retired ASI Millwrights...I assure you the coot's are no where close to dead. :rolleyes:

You guys that are bad mouthing Algoma Steel make it sound like its a dive and you'll instantly die as soon as you walk through the gate. It's not anywhere near as bad as some of the guys on here are making it seem.

And for a job that starts you at 25$ an hour PLUS benefits and pension in a Union is a pretty damned good deal.

As for dying at 55....I work with about 20 retired ASI Millwrights...I assure you the coot's are no where close to dead. :rolleyes:

for sure eh? my grandfather is about 67 i think and he has been in the plant for over 20 years (previously a forest ranger with a TON of stories haha). he has been in the "coke ovens" and plenty of different mills on the property that are known not to be good for your health lol, not that its that way anymore but my point is he's got a great pension plan and his health is still the average 67 year old mans. same with my other grandfather he is about 68 and worked as a millwright for YEARS in that place. he doesnt even have a grade school education. he was workin in there ever since he was about 16...... still alive and aint goin anywhere for a while! hahahaha.

One word "Elevators"

yup my buddies dad is also in that field. thysen krupp i think the company is called? im not sure on the spelling. but he makes some damn good money! 2 quads one 2008 one 2009 both kawasaki brute force's and already paid off without a loan. 2 sleds also but older. a brand new truck too. lol truck has one more payment! there is some schooling involved in the job cause of them always coming out with different "elevator crap" lol! and prior schooliong before you get in. my old man also had a chance to do that but he got into the healthcare field, got laid off, then went to college then essar. my ol' man owns his own business which he is no longer operating cause he is too busy at essar. business is only licenced for this year then thats it. it was a "health care repair" business we will call it. no real profit made to talk about but enough to just scrap by with a brand new $250,000 house to pay off (which later became too much and got sold).

LOL i could go on forever but im not cause, well....... it seems a little boring. and im sure someones thinkin'........ STOP POSTING!!!! hahaha.

JP

Edited by bigredneck

I went from a spotty 50 grand a year to 90 grand in 9 months with one year of education. Pooh Pooh all you want, but I have seen both sides.

Tarion registration will easily do that ...good for you if thats the case...personally myself....its my nature to slug the shingles ...pour the concrete...frame the walls ..plumb...floor ...insulate....paint....do the building exteriors...install the kitchens/baths....trim... and even landscape ...EVERYTHING except drywall or electrical and gas...somethings are best left to the people that like it ....and honestly ...there is no better feeling than making peoples dreams become a reality....i guess my point is ....you gotta love what you do for the right reasons...through the good and the bad....after all ....who really wants to be a banker, lawyer or a doctor anyways???

yup my buddies dad is also in that field. thysen krupp i think the company is called? im not sure on the spelling. but he makes some damn good money! 2 quads one 2008 one 2009 both kawasaki brute force's and already paid off without a loan. 2 sleds also but older. a brand new truck too. lol truck has one more payment! there is some schooling involved in the job cause of them always coming out with different "elevator crap" lol! and prior schooliong before you get in. my old man also had a chance to do that but he got into the healthcare field, got laid off, then went to college then essar. my ol' man owns his own business which he is no longer operating cause he is too busy at essar. business is only licenced for this year then thats it. it was a "health care repair" business we will call it. no real profit made to talk about but enough to just scrap by with a brand new $250,000 house to pay off (which later became too much and got sold).

LOL i could go on forever but im not cause, well....... it seems a little boring. and im sure someones thinkin'........ STOP POSTING!!!! hahaha.

JP

A lot of times you can get in without schooling. That's what I did and now I am at a high position within the company.

Interesting, never thought of that line of work before. Do you have to be a mechanical/electrical engineer? or can a simple electronics technician do the work of installing/fixing the panels?

The guys I hire usually have a couple years construction or mechanical experience only. Around 20-23 years old. You can take a 6 month course at Durham college and then your laughing.

I am hearing way to much "I can't/I won't coming from someone who really does want to succeed!

The attitude I am reading the O.P's posts does not ring positive at all... yes you may be frustrated, you may feel that the world is against you, but you will simply turn off any and all potential employers with the negativity, whether it's real or only a perception.

As you can see from this thread, there are many in similar situations as your, with substancially more on the line than you...

1. whining on a fishing board is a waste of time

2. the phone book is your friend... use it

3. the word "no" should not be in your current vocabulary

4. look into gov. sponsored education programs

5. take any job you can get as you are much more employable when you are working than when you are not

6. look at any and all available opportunties locally within the various levels of government

7. CUT THE CHORD!

HH

Thanks HH.. for the reality check ! :huh:

i see my buddys in electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc and they never seem to be out of work and make alot more then me

You said a lot right there. There's a reason that they are called "the big three". I've been in sheet metal (hvac) for 33 years now and have been out of work for about 8 months during that time. Most of that time off was appreciated too. Most of my coworkers can say the same. Presently I am contemplating taking on an hvac foreman's job in Red Lake. Great fishing you say? Perhaps, but I won't have time to fish up there. The job is 21 days straight of 10 hours work per day, then home for 4 days and back I go again for another 21 day stint . The job will last for 6 or 7 months. I'll gross about 4 grand per week, clear over 2 grand, pay a ton of income tax and get a huge tax return next year. Do the math. That's over 100 grand in half a year. Oil sands wages in Ontario. That's the kind of opportunities a good trade job will present to you. Sure, there's sacrifices. But you got to do what you got to do.

This is not the first time that I've encouraged the younger guys on OFC to take up a trade and to do it wisely. By "wisely", I mean to take a close look at the big 3, and work union. You'll never be out of work. You may have to travel at times, and make sacrifices like I've mentioned, but you'll never starve. Get in early enough and you can retire in your mid 50's with a great pension. Ontario will be starving for tradesmen in the near future. The world is yours if you don't mind putting in a hard days work and getting your clothes dirty. Good luck.

Well I kind of know what I am talking about here... when it comes to the trades it all depends on Networking! you will meet a ton of other trades on-site.. get to know them.. get their cards. Especially other Carpenters.

I too am a carpenter. There have been some slow times but over all I have done ok and have been pretty unscathed.. I freak out when I am not working for 2 days.. I could not imagine weeks..

I hate to say this on the board... But I gave up on my union long ago! I paid and paid.. only to see my name on a list with 600 other guys.. one guy more lazy then the next ahead of me..

I still earn decent scratch, have benefits and put into my own pension (RRSP's etc) and don't have to pay dues!

I make more.. sometimes alot more then alot of my old "union" buds.

I cannot stress it enough.. get to know you're fellow Subs and get you're name out there.

I am with a private firm, and cold not be happier making more then union rates. 3 months in Site Supervisor, with vacation, pay and benefit increases..

It is not feast or famine everywhere.. Especially in the insurance repair industry ;) (hint)

G.

5. take any job you can get as you are much more employable when you are working than when you are not

bingo. I am a little wary of people without a job who come looking. Although everyone has equal opportunity to talk to me, meet me and go over the jobs we have available, guys who are currently working, at whatever job, have a bit of a head start over the guys who don't

Two words "Deuce Bigalow" :P j/k

How's the construction industry in your area Worm Dangler? or take a security job for survival if you have too. That could lead to working with electrical security systems for buildings and homes as an installer. Hell I would go do the elevator 6 month course that Dan Bouck wrote about if I did not already have plans.

Edited by Syn

Seems that Sal-Dan General Contractors are looking for various people in the Sault ! A quick check of Job connect in the Sault shows over 30 positions available for immediate employment up there in various careers. Personally.. I'd take the aircraft fueling gig for $10 an hour.. before I'd sit waiting for an EI cheque.. but that's me... and you have to pass a drug test and criminal background check to get it !

Edited by irishfield

and you have to pass a drug test and criminal background check to get it !

More and more jobs require this all the time Wayne. I just did another background check a couple weeks ago. I think that this will become standard across the board very soon. Nobody wants a criminal or a druggie working on their property.

I still earn decent scratch, have benefits and put into my own pension (RRSP's etc) and don't have to pay dues!

Union dues are a sweet tax deduction when you're in a high tax bracket. Pretty much cuts them in half. Throw in the benefits that you get from them and you're way ahead of the game.

Just because you want to be a carpenter or cabnet maker don't tie yourself down. A few years ago I found myself out of work with no warning. Jobs in my field were very few and far between in this area so I went and took an aptitude test and got a big surprise, turned out I was well suited to a couple of things I never would have thought of.

Getting an apprenticeship wasn't going to be easy, I was 60 years old so I went to work finding myself a job, found out what incentive programs were available for a perspective employer. Got all the necessary forms filled out for him so all he had to do was sign them and bingo, I had a job and an apprenticeship.

I worked my but off, went to school, studied whenever I got the chance and learned, learned, learned. I ended up with a 92.5% GPA in school. Earned the trust and respect of my employer and fellow workers some of whom had 20+ years experience on me in the trade. I made sure I was always early for work, did things for the betterment of the company that were outside of my job description. Next thing I knew I got a $1000.00 performance bonus and had keys to the shop.

Being a small engine mechanic in a rural community the work is very seasional and this winter there just isn't any work so I got laid off. Instead of sitting around feeling sorry for myself I started talking to everyone I know, two days later I had a new job, not in my trade but somewhat related with transferable skills and at a lot more money. To top it all off I have two job offers starting in March @ 25% more than I was making before I got laid off. Don't look at the lay off as a negitive thing, look at it as an opportunity and make something positive out of it.

When life hands you a bowl full of lemons, make lemonade.

Edited by Big Cliff