Fustrated

pike slayer

So i'm fustrated and i don't know what to do. i'm layed off work AGAIN! i'm 22 i've been layed off probably 6-7 times now. i work in the carpentry field and its vvverryy unstable work atleast for an apprentice. I'm a second year carpenter with close to 6000 hours and second year cabinetmaker with 2500 hours. I've worked 4-5 different jobs and none seem to be getting me anywhere but layed off. Most times i just go look for another job right away cause i cant stand being on E.I not that im not loyal, gotta do what you gotta do. My boss now tells me we have work coming up but not enough to get my 40hours a week till atleast spring. i've been in this situation to many times and i dont seem to be going anywhere soon. When i was in high school they really pushed to get into the trades and i listened. They told me that i'd do my 4year apprenticeship get my papers by 21 and be making 30 something per hour. Sounds great!! Well that was when i was 18 and i'll be 23 this summer and i'm looking where i am. still at home, old truck in the driveway, no real debt but seem to be stuck in a "hole" that i cant seem to get out of. i have dreams/ goals that seem to be fading and they arent very big ones. i dont set the bar to high. all i ask is for a steady job with a small house and garage with a decent truck in the driveway. and at the rate things are going i might achieve this by age 40! i dont want to be 40 living at home with the parents. i see my buddys in electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc and they never seem to be out of work and make alot more then me and well i dont get it carpenters gotta know the most as to whats going on when building homes, buildings, etc because they have to think about those trades and how its all gonna work. i dont wanna just give a little cry story to you guys. just looking for some guidance. wondering if others were in the same boat?? what should i do? just stick with it and hope for a good break? talk to my other trades buddies and see if i can get on with electrical or plumbing and start from the bottom again? do something totally different??? i'm not the sharpest tool in the drawer and i never did well in school and did the bare min to do carpentry. and yes i know theres not cant!! im young and can do anything if i apply myself. just to what!?! what to do!?

i see you're from the sault. could it be a geographical issue? might be more work down south of ya in the GTA (if you could handle living there).

my old man's a carpenter and i've seen the same thing with him. he hasn't had a steady job for over 15 years, lot of moving around across different jobs but the union always has something come up for him.... he may not have a steady work year, but he'll still get his $60K+ through overtime the nuke plants around here during shutdowns.

i'll tell you this much. i wouldn't hang around your neck of the woods much longer. 7 jobs is enough to tell me to get the heck outta there. you can only hope for something to come along for so long...

Im 32 and out of work with a baby on the way,in about 10 weeks.

debts are growing,and my pregnant gf is working min wage and will soon need to take her mat leave.

i have joined 3 temp agencies and in the last 2 months got me a whole 5 hours of work.

i have an a-z license and cant go into the states. im doomed until the econemy gets better.

so i guess we are in the same boat,a boat with holes that is filling fast!

Edited by Lunatic

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i'm laid off right now too...by the same feds that sign the EI cheque.

layoffs occur in lots of fields, trades and non-trades alike. keep plugging away and when you have enough experience you will too valuable for them to lay off.

If I was young, in your position and had the chance to do it all over again I'd move out west, or perhaps even Yellowknife.

If the Soo is where you want to stay I'd push hard and try and get one of these jobs:

http://www.ofm.gov.on.ca/english/Education...firefighter.asp

http://www.firetraining.ca/

At least that's what I'd do if was 22 again, single and in your situation.

Edited by solopaddler

Im in the same boat as you worm dangler.Morgage, wife, kids,Insurance.All the bills are adding up and today I found out there is a conlict between the record of employment and the notice I received from the employer.Talk about fustrated!!!I havent received my first EI check yet and the x :asshat: employer goofed up.

my son was in the same position ....except I was his boss ....with the times the way they are in our area ( getting better though).... i sent him out west ...twice to work....first time to Calgary....then when things picked up here ...he came back for a year ....but found he loves the west....( kinda part of my plan)...and decided to move back on his own ...this time to Edmonton....him being a carpenter as well ...hasnt stopped working his 40 plus hour regular job and pulling in weekend work on the side for his play toys....im happy he is doing very well for himself ....

Bad points ....i lost my fishing partner to the west...

Good points....i lost my fishing partner to the west and can visit ...

Take on some side work to get you through the slow times...spring isnt that far away ...

You say your a cabinet maker ...take the EI as a sourse of income ....and hone your skills in cabinet making during the winter...its only going to make you more valuable in the peak times... im sure if you look hard enough ...you can find some framing jobs .....

lay-offs are mere opportunities to force you to open up shop for yourself....the first step is the biggest but in retrospect ...it aint big at all

Good Luck

Edited by Twocoda

Don't get stressed! Like some others mentioned maybe look to a new Trade and don't think about what you have done and all the hours you spent doing it...think of it as a base to get you further in your new career. I have worked for the same company for 11 years (IT) I have debt and a family...but I tell ya I am very very seriously thinking about changing careers and retooling..only prb is I should have don it when I was 23. Your only 23 RELAX...but don't wait!!!

I am hearing way to much "I can't/I won't coming from someone who really does want to succeed!

The attitude I am reading the O.P's posts does not ring positive at all... yes you may be frustrated, you may feel that the world is against you, but you will simply turn off any and all potential employers with the negativity, whether it's real or only a perception.

As you can see from this thread, there are many in similar situations as your, with substancially more on the line than you...

1. whining on a fishing board is a waste of time

2. the phone book is your friend... use it

3. the word "no" should not be in your current vocabulary

4. look into gov. sponsored education programs

5. take any job you can get as you are much more employable when you are working than when you are not

6. look at any and all available opportunties locally within the various levels of government

7. CUT THE CHORD!

HH

That is one problem with colleges. You have a dream and that's what they want to hear. Sure they will put you through school, sure they will help you get that trade but what they don't tell you is they need you in school so that they can get additional operating funds, grants etc. It doesnt matter that their may not be many jobs out there they want you in school. On the other hand you also have to do your research and find out what the hot trades are these days. And whether these trades can support you with year round work.

I was a miner by trade and never had problems getting work but had to be willing to go where the work was. Somewhere in Ontario and Canada there is demand for carpenters. But full time year round work is another issue altogether. A mining company may have on staff two hundred miners, fifty diesel mechanics, fifteen electricians and ten millrights but usually only one or two carpenters, and maybe one certified nat. gas fitter. However in a fast growing community the opposite is the norm. There is nothing wrong with the trade you are experienced in but you need to go where the work is. Read newspapers etc. and find our where the growing communities are. The Soo is not one of them. Alberta was, but is not at the moment. Sask. seems to be the hot province for jobs. But you have to do your research before you commit to any particular area or province.

Solopaddler mentioned Yellowknife. It's a gold mining town with similarities to Kenora but Kenora is a pulp & paper town along with tourism. Yellowknife has very long winters and probably little demand for carpenters as housing will primarily be focused on const of stacked units not necessarily with concrete and steel though as it's expensive to ship up there. But there are no wood manufacturers either as the thin treeline can not support harvesting lumber to build housing.

Yellowkife is a very expensive town to live in but that may have changed now.

There is a demand now for auto mechanics for larger vehicles, double and triple axle trucks, etc.

If there is no work in carpentry then there won't be any in plumbing and electrical either. Those three work hand in hand.

Can I suggest open pit mines and haulage trucks and drills? Mining is another but not in Sudbury right now. Red Lake sounds like the place for you but you have to love fishing and the outdoors. New mines coming on stream and old mines expanding. But small towns have a boom and bust cycle so pick and choose carefully.

Good luck.

That is one problem with colleges. You have a dream and that's what they want to hear. Sure they will put you through school, sure they will help you get that trade but what they don't tell you is they need you in school so that they can get additional operating funds, grants etc. It doesnt matter that their may not be many jobs out there they want you in school. On the other hand you also have to do your research and find out what the hot trades are these days. And whether these trades can support you with year round work.

I was a miner by trade and never had problems getting work but had to be willing to go where the work was. Somewhere in Ontario and Canada there is demand for carpenters. But full time year round work is another issue altogether. A mining company may have on staff two hundred miners, fifty diesel mechanics, fifteen electricians and ten millrights but usually only one or two carpenters, and maybe one certified nat. gas fitter. However in a fast growing community the opposite is the norm. There is nothing wrong with the trade you are experienced in but you need to go where the work is. Read newspapers etc. and find our where the growing communities are. The Soo is not one of them. Alberta was, but is not at the moment. Sask. seems to be the hot province for jobs. But you have to do your research before you commit to any particular area or province.

Solopaddler mentioned Yellowknife. It's a gold mining town with similarities to Kenora but Kenora is a pulp & paper town along with tourism. Yellowknife has very long winters and probably little demand for carpenters as housing will primarily be focused on const of stacked units not necessarily with concrete and steel though as it's expensive to ship up there. But there are no wood manufacturers either as the thin treeline can not support harvesting lumber to build housing.

Yellowkife is a very expensive town to live in but that may have changed now.

There is a demand now for auto mechanics for larger vehicles, double and triple axle trucks, etc.

If there is no work in carpentry then there won't be any in plumbing and electrical either. Those three work hand in hand.

Can I suggest open pit mines and haulage trucks and drills? Mining is another but not in Sudbury right now. Red Lake sounds like the place for you but you have to love fishing and the outdoors. New mines coming on stream and old mines expanding. But small towns have a boom and bust cycle so pick and choose carefully.

Good luck.

Yeah I wasn't thinking carpentry at all when I mentioned Yellowknife. My buddy (Drifter-016 on the board) moved up there a few years ago and is doing very well.

Wages and benefits are much higher up there than they are down south if you can find your niche.

essar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im tellin ya dude, go to the college. get your one year or two year course. one year is industrial mechanic, two year is millwright. sign up, get your math booklet deal on the go for grade 12 math. you'll be done that and hopefully in the college by next year. and if you apply yourself you'll more than likely get scouted by the essar guys and be in the plant even before your done school. which you still will have to finish. like i already told you all of this, E.I. should pay for most of your schooling..... text books etc.

just a little bit MORE of a push, lol. any more questions hit me up on msn or somethin.

JP

essar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im tellin ya dude, go to the college. get your one year or two year course. one year is industrial mechanic, two year is millwright. sign up, get your math booklet deal on the go for grade 12 math. you'll be done that and hopefully in the college by next year. and if you apply yourself you'll more than likely get scouted by the essar guys and be in the plant even before your done school. which you still will have to finish. like i already told you all of this, E.I. should pay for most of your schooling..... text books etc.

just a little bit MORE of a push, lol. any more questions hit me up on msn or somethin.

JP

you couldn't pay me enough to work at essar...I hate going in the gate

I'd watch the wording with carpenters needing to know the most out of all the trades. We all know that the plumbing holds the worlds buildings together. ;)

Having 6000hrs is a good thing if you wanted to start a new trade. You can take some of your hrs and apply them to a new apprenticeship if thats what you want to do. That being said, if you do like the trade you're in, you may have to follow the advice other posters before me have given you. Move to where the work is. Look online, telephone book, anywhere you can make a contact or apply for a job.Take as many upgrade courses as you can and get as much practical knowledge as you can so that you have just THAT much more you can offer potential employers.

Being in the trades doesn't guarantee you a job for life. Theres high times and really low times. Get used to it. Good luck.

essar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im tellin ya dude, go to the college. get your one year or two year course. one year is industrial mechanic, two year is millwright. sign up, get your math booklet deal on the go for grade 12 math.

JP

Thats exactly what I'm doing right now. And I'm permit Millwrighting and Labouring for SIS right now. Trying also to get into the 1425 MW Union but theres a loooooooooong waiting list right now.

Gavin you gotta realize you're not the only one not working 40 a week right now....

Guest gbfisher

In the trades and only laid off 6 or 7 times now? :rolleyes:

Jobs usually last if the work is there. When a job nears completion, start looking for more work.

Other trades go through the same thing. Even union workers.

Try starting your own business.

In the trades and only laid off 6 or 7 times now? :rolleyes:

Jobs usually last if the work is there. When a job nears completion, start looking for more work.

Other trades go through the same thing. Even union workers.

Try starting your own business.

you know? hes right too! get some of that "handyman" or backyard work done. theres always someone around town lookin for a cheap fix to some problem.

I sympathize Worm Dangler, the job scene in this town can be tough. I've been incredibly lucky work wise in the Soo, especially since I work in a very specialized field.

I understand why you don't want to leave town, I've lived all over this country and I've never found a city with this combination of friendly people, affordable housing and fantastic fishing. Of course part of the reason why the housing is so affordable, is the dodgy job market.

When I graduated college, I had a hard time finding work so I went out to Alberta, it's different now, but when I was there they were practically handing out jobs at the airport. I worked there for a while, and took the experience and used it to get where I wanted to be.

My only advice would be to keep moving forward. Whatever you decide to do, do something. There is nothing worse than sitting at home waiting for something to happen for you. You've got to go out and make something happen for yourself.