Nice Pike Today

TDunn

I was on the ice by 9 am today and off at 3:30. I was targeting perch and had a heck of a time locating fish with any size. Only a handfull over the 8 inch mark but a lot of small ones to keep me busy. Rapalas, buckshoot spoons and drop shoting minnows were todays weapons. As I was ruling out water in this bay I had a tip up out rigged with a quick strike and smelt. Landed 4 of the 5 pike that struck. The one that I missed bit me off before I could get there. 50# braid just like that!

Anyways heres the best fish for the day. I counted 7 good runs before I could get her to the hole...the perch on the other hand were pretty embarrassing...no pics of them.

60.jpg

62-Copy.jpg

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

Nice fat pike!

Nice Fish! Good going Tyler! i really need to find some like that, im tired of the Snot Rockets in Ottertail lol

LOL! :D Yeah pikeie I agree, Ottertail is full of little pike that fool you into thinking they're trophies until you see them, tons of fun though!

Whats more beautiful is the fact that the fish was cruising along looking for a meal, spots your bait, comes up, slowly takes, all of a sudden.. zzzzzzzzzzz peels out. What a gorgeous pattern, I love being able to spot them underwater before they take off.

Nice fish!

Whats more beautiful is the fact that the fish was cruising along looking for a meal, spots your bait, comes up, slowly takes, all of a sudden.. zzzzzzzzzzz peels out. What a gorgeous pattern, I love being able to spot them underwater before they take off.

Nice fish!

or, being in a canoe and having a massive pike take off with your worm harness and it doesnt even know its hooked...... and yet your watching it cruise underneath the boat taking drag and bending your rod straight down....... till of course, the line snaps...... lol that was such a dissapointment and lost a harness cause of that biggin' haha.

i think i was better off letting it take a bit of line and the harness rather than ALL of my line AND the harness, lol!

Edited by bigredneck

Nice pike ! do you put the smelt down near the bottom or do you have it up towards the ice ?

The fish above came from about 16 feet of water with the smelt about 3 feet off bottom.

I tried a shallow hole in a weedbed for awhile (6ft) right under the ice but no action.

Usually I suspended close to bottom before I try anywhere else in the water column.

The Perch were very tight to bottom today so that was my main reason for keeping the smelt low today.

Ive never fished Ottertail, Ive heard alot about the rocket factory it has tho....Im sure there is a few giants in there Matt!

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words....

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

yuppp nice pike!! there is some trophy snot rockets in ottertail its just shaking off the mass pile of little buggers. last winter i seen a guy pull up a 12lber from ottertail, my largest is 7lbs from that snot rocket/weed polluted lake. theres also nice walleye in there but also hard to get at with all the rockets flying around.

Again,thanks for all the great comments guys.

As for the few about dropping the perch and targeting pike well I think that just might happen shortly.

I have always targeted perch in this area but this year it seems to be holding more and bigger pike than usual.

This zone was previously open all year but the new regs close the area mar 1 until may 1. I had some plans to fish this place late ice but that isnt gonna happen now. Although I may get there once or twice before mar to try for gators, I think ice out is when I'll will be found roaming this area in the boat a little more exclusively for esox.

Oh, good Luck MTBF. You have had a good start

TDunn

Edited by TDunn