Planning for algonquin

atvaholic

Hi!

Trying to finally pull strings for a few days off to explore algonquin in may. I'm really quite new to this, is there a resource anywhere that outlines the portage/canoe routes and their difficulty? I'm looking at a map and see the routes, but im not sure how long they would take and how difficult they are. Any help apprciated, thanks!

Hi atvaholic,

I haven't come across any maps that talk in detail about the routes. The general route of thumb I've been taught when estimating time is an inch on the map = one hour.

If you want more detailed information on the routes, or help planning your trip, you best bet is to give the park a call. They offer "trip counseling" and can be of great assistance to you.

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/geninfo/contact.html

Another great resource is: http://www.myccr.com/places.htm. They list a lot of routes in the park, and usually under each route there is user feedback posted regarding the difficulty and general experience with the route.

Where do you think you want to go in the park? Is your goal to fish? If you put down some more details then maybe some of the members here can offer some advice as well.

Edited by ADB

Hi atvaholic,

I haven't come across any maps that talk in detail about the routes. The general route of thumb I've been taught when estimating time is an inch on the map = one hour.

If you want more detailed information on the routes, or help planning your trip, you best bet is to give the park a call. They offer "trip counseling" and can be of great assistance to you.

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/geninfo/contact.html

Another great resource is: http://www.myccr.com/places.htm. They list a lot of routes in the park, and usually under each route there is user feedback posted regarding the difficulty and general experience with the route.

Where do you think you want to go in the park? Is your goal to fish? If you put down some more details then maybe some of the members here can offer some advice as well.

Hey, ADB, thanks for the tip. I looked at the forum and did find some info. I will be camping at mew lake, and plan to take a day trip via portage and/or canoe to find some spring specks. I'm not in the greatest shape, or the most experienced hiker, but i would love to to get into a few. My plan would be to leave base camp at first light, portage 3 hours or so, fish for 3 hours, then return. Just a rough plan for now. Unfortunatly I have very little experience with algonquin park. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Maps here: http://www.algonquinmap.com/download.html. The canoe and exploring map book (free pdf) looks really useful. Might want to consider borrowing a hand-held GPS with compass loaded with http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/ free topo map.

Thanks Syn - I do have a handheld garmin. I would not leave without it. These maps are very helpful..

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

wise packing is the key. not only what you pack but where you pack it. if you can't do all your gear and the canoe in two trips you have way too much stuff. wise packers will have one large pack with gear for the two paddlers while the other gent carries the canoe.

bungie cords are key. being able to bungie the paddles/fishing rods (if you're fishing your way in) to the canoe while you carry it saves more time..

if you don't already, get a water filtration pump. they are a godsend.

wear quality footwear with good ankle support.

I second myccr.com its a canoeing website that is full of useful information especially on algonquin park. Other websites are friends of algonquin Park, and Ontario Parks. Looks like you are only doing day trips but if you decide to become a little more adventurous you can borrow a copy of Kevin Callan's Algonquin Park book from your local library, lots of variety of routes to consider. Another great resource are Backroad map books and they have one for algonquin region, provide info on the quality of fishing of lakes and rivers.

Keep in mind that novice canoeists like yourself tend to move slower than experienced one's so when charting distance remember you may not go as fast so someone may tell you it takes 2hrs but it could take you 4. I think I read somewhere average speed of travel via canoe is 3-5km/hr.

Also wind is always a factor, especially on bigger lakes.

I second having a look at Kevin Callan's guide books. I've always found the information to be a pretty realistic mix of route description and history of the area. It may take a bit of reading, but it is likely there will be some information about Specks in there. I would also recommend picking up a copy of The "Canoe Routes of Algonquin Park" map. I go through at least one a year pouring over all the routes I would like to take, and it certainly gives me lots of inspiration on those late winter evenings when you're waiting for the thaw! (not the bugs).

Good luck finding a location!

GR

You new guys with the love for Algonquin are great - it's great to see the appreciation for the park crosses generations. You are most welcome to the board, from where I sit.

I look forward to some great trip reports. This site is full of gear types, so don't fear to post your tips. Fish pics are great, but the story and the rest are better.

This is my tip.

2f0f803f0c49402915f9cfff41826b9a.jpg

Don't get the beaver fever!!!!

Mike and I had no issues drinking water straight from the lake last year, but I have a feeling we were the only people on that lake in years.

What? I don't remember you drinking lake water.

(As far as packing tips go, apparantly 2 Heineken mini kegs are essential.:lol: )

Edited by solopaddler

What? I don't remember you drinking lake water.

(As far as packing tips go, apparantly 2 Heineken mini kegs are essential.:lol: )

Don't you remember filling the water bottles way out in the middle of the lake? lol

Those 2 kegs were essential, I am so looking forward to bringing lots of beer in June :)

Don't you remember filling the water bottles way out in the middle of the lake? lol

Those 2 kegs were essential, I am so looking forward to bringing lots of beer in June :)

Of course I remember filling the water bottle in the middle of the lake. For me. :)

(Having a giant sherpa along to lug your beer is great!)

Edited by solopaddler

The paddling part is usually pretty easy, stay close to shore out of the wind and waves short cuts across big water are tempting but the water is cold in May.

As mentioned above weight and packing are very important to make portages bearable, generally three portages from the launch get you some seclusion and into some decent specks.

Don't attach gear to the outside of your pack, use large packs, if you have them, and put everything inside making sure to waterproof anything that must stay dry. Normal garbage bags don't work that well and tear easily, find trash compactor bags. Like Dr. Salvelinus said above try to pack so you can carry every thing in two trips over the portages including the canoe. Borrowing a friends 90 lb canoe won't seem like such a good idea after the first couple portages.

Get rid of the water (weight) in your food, you can dehydrate meals in the oven or take the 'just add water and cook' meals from the grocery, leave the beer at home and take a bottle of scotch if need be.

I will add my voice to getting a water filter system or treatment drops, no use taking chances with water borne diseases.

For novices speed in a canoe will be around 4 kph while portages average about 2 - 3 kph depending on the terrain. If you double carry the portage, as many do, you are walking the distance three times - twice loaded and once empty on the return, so a level 1 km portage takes about an 1 to 1 1/2 hours plus 15 minutes on either end to load and unload.

Start in good time and quit early, our rule of thumb is to be at our next camp by 3 pm. You don't want to be paddling around in the dark trying to find a place to stay. Reservations in the interior of Algonquin are by lake only and are first come first serve, so the campsite near the end of the portage may be taken and you have to paddle to the other end of the lake for a site.

Have a plan, half the enjoyment is the planning and anticipation.

Take your time and enjoy the journey don't be in a hurry to get to the next portage or campsite, Algonquin is a wonderful place especially in the spring.

Troll behind the canoe, fish rapids and creek mouths, small EGB spinners and Mepps work great, also a good time to try some fly fishing.

Dan

(As far as packing tips go, apparantly 2 Heineken mini kegs are essential.laugh.gif )

Heck ya!

LOL...

I can't remember how it goes...are the 2 kegs what causes the sore back, or is it the 2 kegs that are brought to releive the sore back that is expected?

Its kind of like the old what came first "chicken or the egg" debate

:lol: