Jigging for bait

bigugli

With the Erie area ice firming up after last weeks thaw, it was time for some smelting. Been very busy the past 2 days. They are a bit smaller than last year's average, but there are still some good sized smelt around.

DSCN2930.jpg

Even the son's squeeze was getting into the act and having a blast despite the raw winds

DSCN2931.jpg

One of the piles to be cut and cleaned.

DSCN2929.jpg

The reward at the end of it all.

DSCN2932.jpg

Even when smelting I set out a minnow for the odd perch that might be around. What a surprise I got. Saw this little nibble action so I set the hook expecting a dink perch. Felt this solid weight at the other end and it started to take off. Now the rig is one of those hand made jobs; an 18" piece from a broken rod, a piece of wood, one Southbend disc reel ( on clearance for a buck) 4lb line and a teardrop and minnow.

So here I'm frantically trying to get the keeper out before the line snaps, then I'm trying to work this beastie in and palming this pathetic reel every time it takes off. Every time he sees the hole he takes off again and I just let him. Finally, this time, I get him in. What a blast. must have spent a good 10 minutes laughing. There is nothing so satisfying as seeing one of your own gadgets or creations working successfully.

The evidence:

DSCN2928.jpg

Anyhow, back to cleaning some more smelt.

Edited by bigugli

he forgot to mention the amazing gaff job i did on that pike hooked him right in the tip of the lower lip

did it again This post is by Rob D

Ah say boy, pay attention to me boy!

A few logs short and a few bricks shy some days. I even set our sign in to different default screens so he would recognize the difference.

Yes he do make a good net man, but.....