Best line for ultra lite trout?

atvaholic

Are you talking creek fishing?

I am a big fan of seagar flourocarbon. Almost invisible and more durable. Diawa used to make a line that came in a samuri green colour. It was fantastic. Haven't seen it in years. In the spring I fish smaller creeks that are the head waters of the Ganaraska; think undercut banks, overhanging trees and log jams. I would prefer to run 4lb, but I need 6lb to deal with all of those forementioned linebreakers. The water can run gin clear and very shallow. I used 6lb seagar drifing small row bags and berkley power worms with a lot of success last spring. I pulled quite a few steelies out of some sight spots with it. I do find it a little more prone to twist than mono when using ultra small spinners, but a small swivel 18-20 inches up, solves that. It costs double that of good mono, but I found it lasts at least twice as long. I used the same reels on my walleye rods and the line lasted quite a while.

Edited by MuskyGreenHorn

I'm surprised no one has mentioned P-Line Halo... This is truly the best floro meant to be used on the entire spool. I use it on my ultra light rig for Trout/Panfish (4 LB test) and have landed a 15 lb carp on it, and was able to horse him in. Hold knots great, has super low memory, and is truly a tough floro line. 250 yards usually runs $18-$20, but it is worth it, check it out.

Well, back to the question.......The only problem with Flouro on a small ultra light reel ( I use a Spirex 500) is actually keeping it on the reel with the bail open.(no it's not overspooled!) It retains low or no memory which is great for casting but not for the short flips involved in small stream fishing. I tried Suffix mono this past spring with pretty good results so far. 4lb allows you to break off a snag without disturbing the pool by hauling a half a tree out to save a 5 cent hook. (although I might be careful with spinners!)

jjcanoe

I used to really like 2lb. Trilene XT, used it for steelhead leaders and on a Mitchell 308 for stream specs. Haven't seen it that light in years though. The stiffness didn't seem a problem in the finer sizes but I found it unmanageable on spinners in heavier sizes.

I tried different fluorocarbon lines and returned them for a refund. Berkley's Sensithin in 4 lb test was my favourite for brookies in the 2 to 4 lb range on ultra light gear but it no longer exists. Maybe Berkley changed it's name to "Sensation" but I haven't tried it yet so I have no opinion on that line.

Now, I use 2 and 3 lb test Tectan Premium.

I use a rather old ultra light reel....Cardinal Ultra Light Pro Max teamed up with a surprisingly low cost Daiwa Spinmatic X, SM-X 602 ULFS, 6 foot fast action rod.

Concerning fluorocarbon, I don't follow the hype. I do my own tests. I compare the size, the stretch, knot strength, strength, stiffness test etc etc. I ask friends to send me samples of their lines for testing.

Yes....Silver Thread did surprise me but I can't get it in smaller than 6 lb test. Trilene XL is great but too much stretch and the XT is way too stiff to stay on my tiny spool.

For creek fishing...I would go to 4 lb mono and a stiff rod. The reason for a stiff rod is the fact that the fish will hook itself and will not be able to scoot back under the roots, logs and other hiding places.

There are a couple of creeks near my home and nobody fishes them except those that will toss a baited hook from the side of the road. There are no trails along these creeks and it's very dense bush. The only way to fish them is to walk upstream with waders. Fishing consists of pointing the rod tip in an opening over the creek and then lowering the baited hook into the water by backreeling or opening the bail. I don't even use bait....just a weighted nymph and a tiny split shot about 3 inches above the nymph. Even though I can often straddle these small creeks, there are places where the water is waist deep. It's a real jungle and it's hard work but I can catch my limit of 20 trout in a matter of minutes all summer. The water is tea coloured and the small trout all have extremely beautiful bodies. The average size is about 7 inches but there is the occaisional 12 to 14 incher and quite a few 10 inchers. I sometimes go up to 6 lb test depending on where I am fishing. I'm even thinking of just using a good stiff branch about 7 feet long and just unrolling the line that's wrapped around the end of the branch or maybe installing an old fly reel on a rather stiff bamboo pole. Nobody fishes in these creeks in my area....too much trouble. I only do it when I want a quick meal. Every creek in my region is crammed full of trout and there are rarely another species of fish except maybe a few places where there are creek chubs and even then, I haven't come across any creeks with chub.