Ice Fishing Clothing Question.

EC1

Hi All, Good evening!

I find that the last few trips I've had, I would work into a big sweat before I even make it onto the fishing spot, only to sweat some more while drilling into the ice.

Usually I wear a normal t-shirt, 2-3 sweaters over top, and a Goretex Jacket.

I pretty much need something that could wick away sweat or have it allow me to regulate my core temps a little bit easier.

At this rate, Would I be looking to wear something along the lines of UnderArmour Coldgear or Heatgear?

And Another question, is there an alternative that would be cheaper than Underarmour? On a student budget, I want to get away with every extra penny I can save :lol:

Thanks In Advance

Edited by EC1

I am not a student...but I am cheap :D Because of this I waited years before I spent the $$$ on under armour. Wish I had bought it years ago. Absolutely essential gear as far as I am concerned. You get what you pay for IMO.

But if you still don't wanna pony up for it try wearing just a t shirt under your gortex jacket. Have your other cloths packed. Once you are settled take your t shirt off if it is wet and then throw all your dry warm stuff on. That,s what I did for years and still do. I just have the under armour on under my floater suit. Once I am settled my polar fleece turtleneck goes on with a hooded sweater on over it.

Its not cheap but worth every penny.I purchased a set of long johns and shirt from fishing world a few years back.They still work like new taking the sweet away.There is no name that I can recall.But they are blue and have a logo with the letter n on the left leg.Money very well spent.

Check out MEC's website for an overview on layering, various materials, etc. I find it better to understand why everything works rather than being told what to use:

http://www.mec.ca/Main/articles_main.jsp?F...D=1264039482578

(hopefully that link works)

Personally, I dig merino wool as a base layer. I put a fleece over top of that, a down vest over that, and a goretex jacket on top.

I use the UA base 3.0 and polartec heavy weight tops and bottoms.

I find they work about equal for warmth and moister management.

The polartec is a bit cheaper.

Then one or two layers of wool.

Depending on how cold, A down liner jacket.

On top. A gortex 150g ultra thinsulate parka.

I have lots of Under Armor, great stuff but yes very pricey - $70 for long johns!

Then I discovered Athletic Works, a line of Under Armor-like designed base layers sold at Walmart. Shirts, long johns are only $12; they even have full base layer suits. I have both the fleece and dri-fit base layers from Athletic Works. After countless trips on the ice and winter steelheading, I have to say it works just as well as my Under Armor. Both are 100% polyester, some with some spandex for stretch. Check it out, you won't be disappointed. They even have hoodies for $20 that are the exact thickness and 100% polyester just like the UA ones I have that cost $80.

In terms of sweating, it's going to happen if you're lugging gear on foot. If I only wore boxers under my floatsuit I'd still be sweating on the 2km walks I do with nearly 100lbs of gear. I find taking a good pace, opening up the jacket and adding more layers later as the best way to combat sweating.

Edited by Jet

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

LOL! nice pic flames!

underarmour can be pricey. i bought some just before xmas on cabelas.com in the bargain bin there.... it was the underarmour coldgear shirt for 29.99

the only thing with underarmour is that it works TOO good! initially i was finding that the sweat was wicking away to the extent that my clothes were getting soaked, then when you stop moving for 2 minutes, you freeze. i hike with underarmour, a single long sleeved layer on top which will become soaked with sweat, and a hoodie. when I hit the lake I throw a dry shirt on, my small down coat liner, and my goretex fishing coat and i'm dry, and warm. the sky is the limit with camping gear though. you could go into a frenzy ordering stuff from mec for layering. this equipment works very well, but as you said, some of us are on a budget.

Misty Mountain and Rocky hunting gear make mid-weight micro fleece base layers, they retail for 19.99$ a piece....very cheap. Marks also has Dakota micro fleece at a similar price.

Keep your eyes on Cabelas for Polartec 1/4 zip polar-weight fleece sweaters that go onsale alot...they are only actually 40$ regularly. Stay away from their bottoms...they fit like crap.

Ontop of it you can pick up a uninsulated waterproof (also usually very windproof) jacket/shell to keep the wind out. Cabela's has their GORE-TEX MT-050 lineon sale right now...very nice gear for the price.

Also good outer layers would be any winter pants/jacket by Columbia with their Omni-tech water reppelant layer. I paid 180$ for my Columbia Ice-Ice Jacket, and if I wasnt afraid to get it dirty because its my fancy, goin out pickin up the ladies jacket...It would be my GO-TO outer layer....its very light, blocks the wind and has very large pit zips to dump heat when you're puttin on a sweat.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i said flames cuz i figured that was you!

hahaha!

that pics intense.

then again, i have buddies that get too drunk on fishing trips and piss in their own boots! gotta love friends!

i said flames cuz i figured that was you!

hahaha!

that pics intense.

then again, i have buddies that get too drunk on fishing trips and piss in their own boots! gotta love friends!

That guy up there is sober when he does stuff like that :mellow: ...straaaaaaaaange folks...only worm danglers friends :D

If you are trudging through deep snow, bushwacking, or hanging off a manual auger all morning, you have to adjust your outer layer so you don't get soaked. When you get covered in sweat, you must change your inner layers from damp ones to dry ones, or you gonna freeze.

I just remember not to exert myself too much.