Well, a lot more water covered

Big Cliff

Spent a lot of time exploring this weekend, fished shallow, fished deep looked for suspended fish, tried minnows, grubs, and maggots. All we could manage were a few perch and several walleye although I did get bitten off twice, not a line break, cut off. I figure thay might have been muskie. I talked to a lot of other people fishing over a wide range of conditions and water depths, same story all a round, walleye but little else. I'm not sure what or where to try next but you can be sure I'll keep trying, they have to be here some where.

Oh well, a weekend fishing with my son and it really doesn't matter how many fish we catch, it was still a fantastic weekend and it sure is nice to be able to get out on this lake and try. It is really nice to see all the other fisher people out on the lake with their kids and enjoying the winter. I've already met a lot of really nice people!

I know how you feel Cliff, been out a couple of times to my favorite lake and like you, tried different depth and spots but did not land any eyes....... just a couple of small perch...... have another spot I want to explore and hopefully this is where I'm going to find them elusive walters.

We sure got some nice weather so far, can't complain about that..... it's just a matter of time B)

Thanks for the report

Leechman

Too bad the MNR didn't open the pickerel to the end of February (like scugog)...I hear Rice Lake is the same...more pickerel getting caught and returned than panfish...

Nice to get out with the kids...no matter what age :whistling:

Edited by Beans

If what's happening is really the case, I'm wondering if any damage will be done to the walleye/muskie populations in the Kawarthas. Thoughts?

I know it's all been thought out by people who are in the know but if fisherfolks are getting more walleye...ok ok pickerel and muskies than panfish, there might be a problem here.

Guys are catching panfish in the kawartha's, they're just keeping it under wraps. Don't ask me how I know this :)

Cliff, I just started really getting into crappies on Sturgeon this past year. Up until then, it was just one here and there. Give it a season or two, and it will be loaded with them, just like all the rest of the lakes. The crappies we were getting out of there this spring were some of the biggest ones I've caught, and there were a lot of them. Let those big guys breed a new batch, and we'll have crappies coming out our ears in a couple years.........I have no doubts!!

I hear the bald lakes are killing the crappies right now, and my buddy on rice caught over 200 perch this weekend too. They're out there, and people are getting them. I know if I did find them, I wouldn't post it here!!!!

Sturgeon would also be my last choice for panfish. I just don't generally do well on them in that lake. Musky and eyes is a whole different story!!

As long as your out having fun trying, who cares what your catching!!!

S.

Guys are catching panfish in the kawartha's, they're just keeping it under wraps. Don't ask me how I know this :)

I hear the bald lakes are killing the crappies right now, and my buddy on rice caught over 200 perch this weekend too. They're out there, and people are getting them. I know if I did find them, I wouldn't post it here!!!!

As long as your out having fun trying, who cares what your catching!!!

S.

You're probably right Shane but it amazes me how many fishing people never heard of OFC or any other fishing sites on the computer...many have asked me what the Ontario Fishing Net stands for on my hat...LOL

With no reports...we would have a pretty lousy board...I don't mind a person not saying exactly where on Pigeon, Sturgeon, Rice, etc. but I see no harm in mentioning the lake itself unless it is a small one in the back country somewhere that could not take any pressure :rolleyes:

You're probably right Shane but it amazes me how many fishing people never heard of OFC or any other fishing sites on the computer...many have asked me what the Ontario Fishing Net stands for on my hat...LOL

With no reports...we would have a pretty lousy board...I don't mind a person not saying exactly where on Pigeon, Sturgeon, Rice, etc. but I see no harm in mentioning the lake itself unless it is a small one in the back country somewhere that could not take any pressure :rolleyes:

Most of my hardcore fishing buds couldn't even turn a computer on, let along post a report :lol:

I haven't tried any lakes but scugug. We've been putting a hurting on the crappies lately, but not many eyes yet. I'll find them though, I always do :)

I think a little later in the season is going to be killer on the slabs. I have a few spots on pigeon I think would be killer, but I won't know unless I go.

S.

im a newbie here..Never heard of it either untill I stumbled upon it, on the ontario fishing fourm site. This is THE site for fishing and fishing related info IMO anyway. Awesome site! Now if I could just figure out a way to post my own topic on here..... :huh:

im a newbie here..Never heard of it either untill I stumbled upon it, on the ontario fishing fourm site. This is THE site for fishing and fishing related info IMO anyway. Awesome site! Now if I could just figure out a way to post my own topic on here..... :huh:

Once you are logged in under your username you just have to hit the "new topic" button at the top or at the bottom of this thread...