Bead Head Stone Fly

Spiel

Very nice work Spiel.

Do you find that these realistic creations catch more fish? I've tied a few realistic stonefly patterns as well but oddly they don't work as well some something that looks nothing like a bug or fish.

That's probably the ultimate question for any lure. Is it shape, size, colour or the realism of the lure that makes a fish bite.

you can buy fish in the store

but it's not the same as catching your own

or making your own fly

Well that argument doesnt really apply and I agree that the Fly looks nice!! Back to your point, I guess we could all make our own clothes as well? I understand the possible slight enhanced satisfaction from catching a fish on something you made that cost you $1 and probably 20 minutes of time over and above buying the exact same thing for $2, but for me personally its not worth it. tying my own roe bags is different, I can do it FAR cheaper and better than store bought pre-tied bags, and it is much more versatile for size, shape, colour, cure type of roe etc etc. The same argument for me personally doesnt work for flies when I can buy the exact same thing for slightly more. I mean I would have to tie 30-40 per hour to make it economically feasable. just My $0.02 Again Nice Fly!!!

Well that argument doesnt really apply and I agree that the Fly looks nice!! Back to your point, I guess we could all make our own clothes as well? I understand the possible slight enhanced satisfaction from catching a fish on something you made that cost you $1 and probably 20 minutes of time over and above buying the exact same thing for $2, but for me personally its not worth it. tying my own roe bags is different, I can do it FAR cheaper and better than store bought pre-tied bags, and it is much more versatile for size, shape, colour, cure type of roe etc etc. The same argument for me personally doesnt work for flies when I can buy the exact same thing for slightly more. I mean I would have to tie 30-40 per hour to make it economically feasable. just My $0.02 Again Nice Fly!!!

Actually it is more than slight.... I restore old motorcycles and rebuilt old boats not just to use them as transportation but to show off my talent on restoring them. The fly that Chris has made is showing the talent that he has in small detailed work. I personally have had the fortune of him making me a custom fishing rod that is truly not only a work of art but very functional. I ordered a rod that would balance a 7.5 oz titanium reel and control 20 + lb fish. I received a rod that not only fulfilled my requirements and look great to boot but has been admired by all who have seen or used it. It is like your roe bags you were very proud of them here telling us about your attention to detail that makes them perfect for your uses. I am sure when you give one to someone fishing you tell them proudly that you made them. I am sure that no one has told you that you can get them cheaper/better at Walmart (if possible) sometimes price is not the true value of an item.... This is not to change your opinion or say your words are wrong it is just another view that might shed light on why pride has no price.

Art

Actually it is more than slight.... I restore old motorcycles and rebuilt old boats not just to use them as transportation but to show off my talent on restoring them. The fly that Chris has made is showing the talent that he has in small detailed work. I personally have had the fortune of him making me a custom fishing rod that is truly not only a work of art but very functional. I ordered a rod that would balance a 7.5 oz titanium reel and control 20 + lb fish. I received a rod that not only fulfilled my requirements and look great to boot but has been admired by all who have seen or used it. It is like your roe bags you were very proud of them here telling us about your attention to detail that makes them perfect for your uses. I am sure when you give one to someone fishing you tell them proudly that you made them. I am sure that no one has told you that you can get them cheaper/better at Walmart (if possible) sometimes price is not the true value of an item.... This is not to change your opinion or say your words are wrong it is just another view that might shed light on why pride has no price.

Art

I understand what you are saying Art,..however what you said about pride in the roebags etc., I think you misunderstood, it has nothing to do with that it has to do with functionality. I have a couple buddies that tie their own stonies and prince nymphs and they are good at it..and i have compared those to the ones I bought from a high end flyshop for $2 and it made no difference at all. there is however a difference in the Roe Bag analogy, not too mention the economics. Some of the water I fish is loaded with wood and I guess what Im thinkin more about is on those days Im using flies, how proud would I be losing 5 or 6 of those to the woodwork that I spent 2 hours making vs just dropping $10-$15. Maybe another way too look at it ;) Again I think its a personal preference thing based on value of time :)

I understand what you are saying Art,..however what you said about pride in the roebags etc., I think you misunderstood, it has nothing to do with that it has to do with functionality. I have a couple buddies that tie their own stonies and prince nymphs and they are good at it..and i have compared those to the ones I bought from a high end flyshop for $2 and it made no difference at all. there is however a difference in the Roe Bag analogy, not too mention the economics. Some of the water I fish is loaded with wood and I guess what Im thinkin more about is on those days Im using flies, how proud would I be losing 5 or 6 of those to the woodwork that I spent 2 hours making vs just dropping $10-$15. Maybe another way too look at it ;) Again I think its a personal preference thing based on value of time :)

You are correct in your thought line. It has been a long time since I have had to look at something from that angle. I have not found anything that I have to buy that is more expensive than what a Plumber makes. :lol:

Art

You are correct in your thought line. It has been a long time since I have had to look at something from that angle. I have not found anything that I have to buy that is more expensive than what a Plumber makes. :lol:

Art

Lol,..Well thanks ART for the wisdom about my line of thought and its degree of correctness :rolleyes::lol: I suppose the plumber does rank in high on the proffessions that society seeks opinions and wisdom from ;) Lol,...Im just kidding around, but again as I stated, it was my PERSONAL opinion and preference and experience. BTW, do you use alot of Stonflies down there in Viginia? what do you catch with them if so? 10-15lb steelhead? 20-30lb salmon?

Chris, I don't care what any one says, Mighty fine work. That fly is just a taste of the work I've seen you do with flies and rods. Should change the name from Stone Fly to Alive Fly.

I wouldn't want to fish with it, case I got bit off. You wouldn't want to see a grown man cry. Plus, to even think getting bit off by a Sheephead. :rolleyes:

Buddy, we've got to do some Whities next week :thumbsup_anim: , if your up to it.

Thanks again everyone, much appreciated.

I have a different way of making the abdomen of stonefly nymphs. I take a large feather...any large wing or tail feather will do.........

There's certainly no lack of methods and materials for making flies.

I'd love to see some pictures of your work. :)

Very nice work Spiel.

Do you find that these realistic creations catch more fish? I've tied a few realistic stonefly patterns as well but oddly they don't work as well some something that looks nothing like a bug or fish.

To be honest here I've only tied 6 of these flies and as yet none have seen water.

My Grandfather who taught me to tie was an adamant believer that impressionistic patterns were all you needed and I tend to agree with that. Besides they're way easier to tie.

Or you can buy em for $2 with the same Daichi hooks

Made in China. :w00t:

I personally have had the fortune of him making me a custom fishing rod that is truly not only a work of art but very functional.

Art

You still hanging onto that rod. :whistling:

Plus, to even think getting bit off by a Sheephead. :rolleyes:

Buddy, we've got to do some Whities next week :thumbsup_anim: , if your up to it.

I've seen the line on your reels Farmer, you wouldn't get it through the eyelet. :w00t:

I may be up for some whities next week.... ?

A work of art Chris. I know a place where that just might catch a fish or two. It's not where you're thinking either. Close by but with some current. Let's give it a shot this summer.

Sounds intersting. May have to add an extra day or two, to the week. :Gonefishing:

Excellent work Chris. Hmm, I think ebay is calling you, $50/jig ;)

You want to buy the first half dozen. :D

I'll elaborate a bit here on why I tied them.

As I noted in a previous post it's been over 20 years since I tied any flies. In my post surgery boredom I dug out all my equipment and sat down at the vise to help pass the time. A long time friend who has helped me in many ways over the years stopped in to see how I was doing (post surgery) and I showed him a few flies I had made. Now him being an avid steelheader he asked if I would mind tying a few jig flies for him, I said "sure, no problem." I asked what he wanted and he said he'd drop off a few patterns he had for me to copy.

In the mean time I decided I would play around (time was on my side) and see what I could create for him. I wanted to give him something different and real so I came up with the fly posted here.

Now I don't care if he uses them or just keeps them as a novelty but I will tell you if he wants and endless supply of them cause they're nailing fish he can have them and he can have them at no cost for as long as he likes.

I may even carry a few in my own box but for what it's worth I'll stock my box with much simpler patterns. :D

Lol,..Well thanks ART for the wisdom about my line of thought and its degree of correctness :rolleyes::lol: I suppose the plumber does rank in high on the proffessions that society seeks opinions and wisdom from ;) Lol,...Im just kidding around, but again as I stated, it was my PERSONAL opinion and preference and experience. BTW, do you use alot of Stonflies down there in Viginia? what do you catch with them if so? 10-15lb steelhead? 20-30lb salmon?

You would actually be suprised at the quality of people I consult with on many different levels of wisdom and knowledge.Being a Plumber just allows me to do it for free and in luxury. :P

? Southern Salmon /Steelheads ? seem to only be caught using a henweight pattern... That aside.... down here in the South the Cold water species are not abundant So I come up to the Great White North for my cold water fishing fixes. Most of what I fish for down here is Blue Catfish , Striper Bass , Small mouth and Large mouth bass. The lures for most of the fishing are commercial made baits and live bait for the Blue Cats. The closest I come to fly fishing is spinner with flies for smallmouth bass on the local rivers. Hellgramites are the choice of patterns.

Art

Wow Spiel ... another splendid example of your talents and attention to detail... I'd be very interested to get on the waiting list for a custom rod and a dozen or two of those (I am thinking of something around 9' that could be used to cast or troll 8 - 20lb ... actually I wonder if you have considered making the 10" musky version of that pig ! .... no jokes ... I'm getting goose bumps thinking about watching some 50"+ going nuts on it right under the boat ... I know ... its a single use application ... but then so is a 18" brookie slamming on the smaller version ... anyhow Great work and thanks for sharing.

Jon.

Stoneflies are a real nice pattern to make but they are only found in fast flowing streams with rocky bottoms. There are lots of different varieties of stoneflys in my region but the streams are small therefore the trout are usually under 12 inches long. Yes....there are larger streams where there are large brook trout (over 2 lbs) but they mostly have salmon in them too so you have to spend money to fish in them. So while you fish them....you might as well fish for salmon and trout that jump on a salmon fly.

Almost all of my flyfishing is in lakes where there are no stoneflies but lots of still water nymphs like mayflies and dragonflies. The best fish catchers in these waters are flies that only suggest mayfly or dragonfly nymphs.

If I want to target larger brook trout, I often use a streamer called a Tri-Color. It's green back, orange body and white belly actually resembles a small brook trout and is quite effective. My most effective fly is the old standard....a muddler. I make it with a deer hair body (hair tied parallel to the hook shank) which I grease and I fish the fly as a dry fly. I also tie this pattern with the wing quite high in order for it to also imitate a large mayfly. This fly which ressembles a deer fly, or a horsefly or a mayfly or a dragon fly or even a bee has accounted for my largest brook trout. A tiny tuft of bright orange wool at the rear end closely ressembles the egg sac of a mayfly.

Edited by Dabluz

Guest steel'n'esox

Absolutely brilliant Chris, looks better than the real thing, lots of tallent on OFC from luremakers to fly tyers to rodbuilders to beercap twisters weve got it all right here

Wow Spiel ... another splendid example of your talents and attention to detail...

Jon.

Absolutely brilliant Chris, looks better than the real thing, lots of tallent on OFC from luremakers to fly tyers to rodbuilders to beercap twisters weve got it all right here

Thanks guys, that's some pretty high praise. :)

I must admit I'm also pretty good at "beercap twisting." :w00t:

I'd be very interested to get on the waiting list for a custom rod and a dozen or two of those (I am thinking of something around 9' that could be used to cast or troll 8 - 20lb ... actually I wonder if you have considered making the 10" musky version of that pig ! .... no jokes ... I'm getting goose bumps thinking about watching some 50"+ going nuts on it right under the boat ... I know ... its a single use application ... but then so is a 18" brookie slamming on the smaller version ... anyhow Great work and thanks for sharing.

Jon.

It's not a long list Jon but I do have several rods to deal with before I take on any new orders. Perhaps we could talk further about it in late spring.

LOL....A 10" version uh, not sure I could get the appropriate hook into the vise. :D