Daiwa Saltist?

Weeds

Hi, just thought I'd throw this out there. About 2 years back I bought a high speed curado (201dhsv?) thinking it would be good for burning bucktails. In a way it has been, great for smaller bucktails around an ounce but I think it's now suffering from the occasional Magnum Bulldawg I hooked it up to and was never great at pulling in bigger bucks or spinnerbaits. So if I happen to win the lottery or find a truly huge pile of change down the back of the couch I'm thinking of maybe splurging for a new Musky reel; one basically dedicated to working medium to large bucktails. I was thinking maybe a Daiwa Saltist Levelwind although I still can't seem to determine what is available in a lefty, or where I might get it. I've seen some huge line pick up figures but relatively low gear ratios. Anyone have any advice/experience/insight that they'd be willing to share? Thanks, Ross

For burning large musky baits, or working jerk / twitch baits like Double D's, Suicks, Sledges or even your Magnum Dogs where fast line take-up is required I use a 7000 Abu. It's a big reel with a large spool that takes up line incredibly fast, but with the power handle it's basically effortless.

It's especially good for cranking large double bladed cowgirl type baits, infact I've got a couple with double 13 blades and you can crank them all day long with no problem.

Abu doesn't make the best reel on the market anymore and all of my other musky reels are Shimano, but for this application their pretty good, although I don't know if their available in left hand crank or not.

As I said above, it's a big reel, but not un-comfortable to use and I often use it all day without any problems. It's matched to a 7' 6" heavy Compre and makes a great combo.

I have no experience with the Diawa but this is just something for you to think about.

Abu7000.jpg

Edited by lew

Hey Weeds,

This is just a suggestion. Not sure of the budget. Daiwa makes a new reel called the pluton.

TD PLUTON 200HL H / MH 8CRBB, 1RB 5.1:1 23.6" 12.00 12/185, 14/155, 17/120

BRAID 20/400, 30/300 13.2

TD PLUTON 200SHL H / MH 8CRBB, 1RB 5.1:1 28.7" 12.00 12/185, 14/155, 17/120

BRAID 20/400, 30/300 11.0

These are a very nice reel and imo this one will last forever for you. Maybe not a nice price range though for most. Usually aroung $400-$450 here in Canada. You can get the power handle. I have these for Swimbaits and Saltwater fishing and love them.

You could go with a Luna,

TD LUNA 300L XH / MH 5 CRBB, 1RB 5.1 : 1 23.6" 12.90 14/320, 17/245, 20/190 15.4

@15.4 lbs of drag it should handle any musky out there for you. Very smooth reels as well. Cheaper then the Pluton. I have this one as well, little heavy but when going for big game it does an awesome job of tackling them. I have used it for alot of Pike and Saltwater game from Halibut to Cod to Jumpers.

Shimano Calcutta reels are amazing as well, They will give you a lifetime of use and now have been disscontinued from what I can gather. I would go for a 400 series. You can order a power handle for all these reels and trust me. When lew stated about the power handle. He is right. Makes a world of difference when using these reels. Some you can order with the reel.

To be honest I would prefer a round metal reel. Big baits and heavy gear and line just go together with this. However from my looking at you style of fishing and for comfort I would assume you would like the Abu Toro reel much better. You can even use it for Bassin as well with swimbaits. If I'm not mistaken that when you order the Toro 61-HS model it will come with both the regular speed and the Paddle handle as well. You dont have to order both. Very nice drag and low profile makes for a very nice heavy duty multi application reel.

The Daiwa that you were looking for the Saltist as far as I know only comes in a righty.

Hope this helps

Thanks for all the advice guys. I imagine that whatever I end up with will be in large part determined by what I can get on sale or used and quite likely one from the handfull of reels you've mentioned. I imagine I'd go with a round baitcaster as opposed to a low profile but the Toro 61-HS might be an exception.

I have looked for a low pro reel and the ones that will handle bigger baits are too much $$$. I bet they dont have the power of the ABU either.

Lebarons sells a 7001i Lefty. It is $145 + tax. I got one for xmas. The reel is not that big but it is heavy.

I think Lew is right.

abu7001.jpg

Edited by glen

Weeds, the 7001 will likely do you fine.

If you're looking for non level-wind like the Saltist in a lefty then you need to look at a different brand.

http://www.avetreels.com/products.html

avet makes a non-level wind lefty.. i believe the sx and mxj are the two used by muskie guys. i have no experience with them personally.

i would forget about any of the low-pro reels for large bucktails.

Edited by Raf

Hey Ross,

I understand the your thinking with the gear ratio thing. The problem with large bucktails especially the double bladed ones is the amount of resistance they create. Lower gear ratio equals more torque. All of the bigger reels that people are using for burning bucktails with the exception of the revo toro and shimano curado 300 have low enough enough ratios to have the power to pull those puppies in. How they make up in terms of amount of line retrieved per handle turn is by having a larger spool diameter. The revo toro and curado are low profile so they have a smaller spool so they can have the same line capacity as the bigger reels. I agree with raf. Stay away from the low profile reels for musky baits. Also burning big bucktails wears your arm/wrist out in a hurry so a power handle is a must, the longer handle equates to a larger cranking diameter which means much less fatigue. My last piece of advice is don't cheap out. A good reel will give you many years of service. That said, I don't consider the Abu 7000 cheaping out. It's a good no frills reel. I have some pretty old ones still in active duty. The black abu 7000iHSN is also a solid reel, but again more money. Shimano also has a calcutta B in instead of the TE, about half the price, and its solid and I use a Tekota 500. St. Croix makes a decent muskie reel as well. Also seeing as you are in peterborough and their warranty/service place is there, I would factor that in. They have great service there. Stay away from Okuma and the newer Diawa Millionare and bass pros muskie reels. Happy hunting buddy.

The black abu 7000iHSN is also a solid reel, but again more money.

I used a gold BG 7000HS for 2 years for jerkbaits and it was a decent reel, then one day on a cast a metal piece snapped off inside and ruined the reel. Trouble was I was leaving on a week long fishing trip in 2 days and didn't have time to get it fixed, so just went to the local tackle shop and picked up the red 7000.

Never did get around to fixing it and it's still sitting in the basement getting dusty.

For quality musky gear, Shimano is definetely the way to go.

[quote name='lew' date='Jan 17 2010, 01:21 PM' post='423269'

For quality musky gear, Shimano is definetely the way to go.

no doubt, they just need to start making a lefty 400 calcutta. ;)

I could go with a 7000 series abu of some kind quite happily; I really love my 6501 C3. It spent a little time on the shelf this past fall as some of the hardware that keeps the handle on fell off so I ordered and added a power handle to it about a month back. Really looking forward to getting some casts in with it come June. Again, thanks for all the advice. I'm now leaning heavilly towards a 7000 series Abu, nice to go with a reel that I might actually be able to affford new.

I hear ya. I have a 700B that's only available in right handed. It isn't so bad cause I'm trolling with it. It's a good reel....I'll hang on to it.

Yeah Roy, for trolling I've gotten used to the righties but casting...especially if you need to crank fast and/or jerk the baits, I just look awkward. :D

Hi Ross, I'm no expert at Musky gear by any means but yesterday I was at BPS and was asking about what they recommend for a low cost bait cast musky reel. They currently have the BPS Pete Maina Signature Series Round Muskie Reels on a clearance sale for $54. Apparently they had a falling out with Pete Maina and he wants his name off the reel. It shows the regular price as $70 but the guy I was talking to said it usually retails for around $120 and once these are gone it will go back up to that price with a different name. I'm sure it's not a great reel but I'm thinking of getting one as a starter Musky reel...not much to lose if you don't like it I figure.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...0001000_100-1-0

70632.jpg

Weeds, the 7001 will likely do you fine.

If you're looking for non level-wind like the Saltist in a lefty then you need to look at a different brand.

http://www.avetreels.com/products.html

avet makes a non-level wind lefty.. i believe the sx and mxj are the two used by muskie guys. i have no experience with them personally.

I've got them and they're nice reels, they're the best value for an all-machined reel. I had a 5.3/sx which is gone to a friend now (advertised here on OFC a while ago) and now i've got the 2 speed SX. I also have the open spool saltist (like the one you're looking at but non levelwind) which is also a great reel but my latest in this class is a Saltiga. There's no comparison between an all machined reel like the avets and anything abu puts out. I think the only way to decide is to try one and see if it's for you.

As far as drags go, it's tough to beat a lever drag for lockdown power and ease of adjustment, moving the lever 2" takes it from open spool to full-on drag. One thing you should think about though is most of these reels do not turn over automatically when you're using it for casting, but that's how it is for the heavy weight surf/jig spinning reels too. This can be a bit bothersome but it becomes second nature...just like those casters who switch hands to cast then switch back.

Hi Ross, I'm no expert at Musky gear by any means but yesterday I was at BPS and was asking about what they recommend for a low cost bait cast musky reel. They currently have the BPS Pete Maina Signature Series Round Muskie Reels on a clearance sale for $54. Apparently they had a falling out with Pete Maina and he wants his name off the reel. It shows the regular price as $70 but the guy I was talking to said it usually retails for around $120 and once these are gone it will go back up to that price with a different name. I'm sure it's not a great reel but I'm thinking of getting one as a starter Musky reel...not much to lose if you don't like it I figure.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...0001000_100-1-0

70632.jpg

I have a feeling there is a very good reason why Pete doesn't want to be associated with it....

Why buy 2 or 3 so so reels over a couple of years instead of spending a decent amount on one $$$ upfront?

My oldman has always told me one thing about fishing equipment... Buy it once.