MIG Welder recommendations - NF

boatman

Hi all,

Sorry to post a non-fishing related post, but I know there are some professional welders here.

We are considering buying a MIG welder for work. The problem is, I have to buy it within the next month and I know very little about them. I'll be taking a welding course before I operate the welder, but I must buy the unit first.

If someone could give me a recommendation for a welder and/or where I could get one in the Hamilton area that would be great.

I require:

1) Simple operation - I won't be using this machine a lot so it must be a little forgiving.

2) Weld thin to large gauge steel - Mostly medium to large gauge.

3) Gas sheilded

4) 220V

5) Under $1000 - if possible

Thanks a lot

Boatman

Get one that is easy to buy new tips and parts. If the feed cable gets bent it will need to be replaced. Bought one 13 years ago and it gets a good workout around our shop. With a little practice and patience it does well on aluminum too. Think it was around a grand back then. Worth every cent. Got it at a NAPA trade show.

Hi Boatman,

DISCLAIMER: I'm just a hobbyist but I went through the eenie-meenie-minee-moe's not too long ago.

For the sub $1000 range it might be tight but not impossible. Renting versus buying the bottle will save you money in the short run.

Solid brand names: Miller, Hobart, Lincoln.. all good machines. Welding equipment can be a Ford/Chevy/Dodge thing... some people have a favourite and the other(s) will suck. I bought a Lincoln because it came gas ready with guages, all I had to do was buy the bottle. This ended up being cheaper than Hobart. The Miller was out of my price range. I'm happy with my machine thus far. If money was no object I probably would have bought a Miller. They seem to be a little more performance minded even in thier home-owner/light duty machines. If you're looking for a daily production machine I would lean towards a Miller.

A good welding supplier will hook you up with the right machine by asking the right questions...

-Metel thicknesses to establish Amps required - I'm thinking you'll be in the 175-225 range

-Your level of experiance and expectations and applications - This can determine what gas(es) and mix ratio you'll need

-Budget

Gas mixtures are puzzling as the same machine can be used for steel, aluminium and stainless steel but will require different gasses and ratios for best results. Welding aluminium will also require optional wire feed accessories.

Lots of great information available:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/list.asp

http://www.millerwelds.com/education/library.html

My advice: Buy one of the big name brands listed above and get the model up from the one you need now.

-Brian

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone,

After lots of searching and a good talk with my Praxair dealer (we already have an account there) I went with the Millermatic 210. It was more than I had originally planned to spend, but the welders under $1000 didn't seem like they were going to do.

The help was greatly appreciated.

Hi all,

Sorry to post a non-fishing related post, but I know there are some professional welders here.

We are considering buying a MIG welder for work. The problem is, I have to buy it within the next month and I know very little about them. I'll be taking a welding course before I operate the welder, but I must buy the unit first.

If someone could give me a recommendation for a welder and/or where I could get one in the Hamilton area that would be great.

I require:

1) Simple operation - I won't be using this machine a lot so it must be a little forgiving.

2) Weld thin to large gauge steel - Mostly medium to large gauge.

3) Gas sheilded

4) 220V

5) Under $1000 - if possible

Thanks a lot

Boatman

Dude PM me. I will talk to a friend and get back to you. I have a connection at BOC. Im a regular customer and get some good deals.

Princes auto has great deals but for what you want I would have to say,STAY AWAY. Sorry Ger,nothing personal my friend.

Boat, theres some good advice here. Stay away from TSC, CT and Princess. Those machines are farm & hobby grade only.

Miller (my fave), Lincoln and Hobart are tops for sure, but don't rule out Thermal Dynamics, SIP or Esab. These seem to be a little lighter built, but if properly cared for will do loads of work for a cheaper price. Check to see if your local delaers have any trade-ins or demos too.

If you have a Sunox outlet in your area, they have lease for life cylinders (Medium size Only) mainly geared for the hobbiest which could save you a fair bit over the years on tank rentals. (Only suitable if your gas consumption is light)

TSC's gasses are a total rip off too.