Chumming

DanD

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone could give up some of their experience with a few answers.

First off is chumming still legal too do; we’re heading to Callander Bay. I thought I read something that lodge operators were no longer allowed; but individuals were?

Is it worth the effort for a short three day trip; or will I just be baiting that hut for the next group of people?

What would a good chum concoction be; I have a bunch of frozen salted minnows in the freezer. We use to mix them with the worm feed; you buy at crappy or dry oatmeal and make a kind of paste; then freeze it into baseball sided balls.

Chum in the morning, chum in the Evening or both? (Almost sounds like a song title. LOL)

I still have my chum funnel that I made years ago; I used it when we had our own fish hut out all season; it sure seemed to bring the pike in; along with the mudpuppies; that wasn’t so good.

Thanks for any replies.

Dan.

I use a home built chum can that I can drop to the bottom and dump out my chum.

I have used salties, oatmeal and cooked rice for chumming with good results.

When I used to live in Ontario we would fill the can with chinook eggs when fishing Owen Sound bay for whities. Sweet!!!! Had some awesome days.

Here's some info you might find usefull.

Build a Chum Can

Chumming the ice part 1

Chumming the ice part 2

Chumming is still legal. If using salted minnows the salties count as part of your 120 bait fish limit until there gone. As mentioned cooked rice, boiled noodles, cooked barley, canned fish (mackerel ect.), freezer burnt shrimp/fish also work. Most of these work better if a few days before you use them you pack them in sea salt &/or some sort of fish oil.

I use a home built chum can that I can drop to the bottom and dump out my chum.

I have used salties, oatmeal and cooked rice for chumming with good results.

When I used to live in Ontario we would fill the can with chinook eggs when fishing Owen Sound bay for whities. Sweet!!!! Had some awesome days.

Here's some info you might find usefull.

Build a Chum Can

Chumming the ice part 1

Chumming the ice part 2

some good info there ... thanks

posted this last year at the beginning of the season and it worked again last year quite well for me. Several whitefish I took last year had my chum in their stomachs when cleaned.

Take some uncooked spaghetti and break up to 1/2 - 1 inch lengths. cook and drain. Salt the cooked past well and then place 1 day portion (1-2 cups) in a heavy freezer bag. Add in several drops of food colouring. My fav is the bright yellow and greens. Mix in with the pasta and freeze. Take out the night before and place in a pot of water to unthaw.

I had 1 laker from up north that had some in it too. Must have grabbed it on the drop.

Those links were a good read; answered my questions.

Thanks.

When I get a chance and when my image host is back up & running; I’ll post a couple of pictures of the funnel I made; it seems to work ok to get the chum to the bottom.

Dan.

Here's a chuming trick I use on nipissing. Take 6-8 shinners out of your bucket and put them in a coffee mug, a can, your thermos cup is perfect!!! Shake the hell out of them but don't kill'em daze them good dump them down the hole now take your cup and wash it out in the hole and let the scales drift down. The shak'in up minnow will swim striaght down the hole to the bottom the scales will flutter down. This is the best way to chum on Nipissing you don't want a bunch of dead salties laying on the bottom, unlike Simcoe white fish on Nip I find this to do more damage then good. The fish on nip respond better to little chumming and if your in a cold front or fishing is slow put live bait on regularly and down size, I got an 8lb walleye last year on a 32oz perch jig in -30c , I thought I was marking perch so I changed up to a small perch jig and small perch minnow and got one of the biggest eye's of the year. I also ended up getting 3 more smaller eyes that day on the small offerings which dosn't sound like much, but it was 4 for me in 10hrs and the rest 0

This chumming technique works great on Simcoe perch aswell, it can get perchies smoking baits on aslow day

Edited by canadadude

I've seen the shaken up minnows trick done, and it really works...canadadude described it perfectly

One of my #1 tricks for ice fish'in can't beleive I let it out of the bag hahahahahahaha........an ole timmer taught me that 30yrs ago and it's put more fish in the bucket then just about any technique I've learned since ;)