BBP Whitey

Skud

The ice has thickened up to a good 6 to 8 inches on the inside of the bay. Caught some Herring in 75 fow and then hooked into a 4lb Whitey in 90 fow. The bite stopped for me by 10:30am but I stuck it out until noon. Will be out again tomorrow morning looking for a Laker. A couple of pics.

Sunrise

Sunrise.jpg

My setup.

Whitey.jpg

I'mnot an ice fishing guy, but my dad set out to one of his white fish spots today near BBP, they caught lots of fish. Some guy sitting next to them told them he lost over 20 fish.

That sounds like a story fishermen would tell. :rolleyes:

Williamson spoon (half gold and half silver) with pearl twitching it off the bottom of 83 feet he tells me. Go get'em you crazy ice fisher's!

Oh, and he was there from 10:00 to 1:00 and bite stopped.

Edited by Dozer

Dang...very painful to read! I'm happy for you...but was free on Friday, and opted out of checking the point...I'll continue to tell myself there wouldn't have been enough ice on Friday... :rolleyes:

NIce shootin....thanks for sharing!

Nice report!

I'll be dragging my father out there tomorow. Where did you guys access from, BBP road and walked towards the inner side? Want to keep it safe especially this time of year.

Take one of the sideroads north off of BBP road before you reach the main lake to access the inside of the bay. Parking is tricky. Obey the signs.

Steve, I checked the ice with a friend Friday afternoon and we found no less than 4 inches. A night at -20 put another two inches to it. Several spots are at 8" but we all know there can be thin spots due to pressure cracks and deep snow during anytime of the hardwater season. It will always be a gamble walking out on the ice.

Thanks again Scud!

Not to take away from your post but we managed to limit out on lakers this morning and home by 3pm. No whitefish. Fished 110ft of water and tried it all but they seemed to like the 3" - 4" Kroc spoons. Firetiger and yellow and i only had one hit a meegs in green. One tap and he was gone.

My father got the biggest of the day, about a 10lber. Nice was about 5" where we were.

Goodluck out there guys!

Oh and I didn't mean to hijack the thread man, just offering some information to the gang.

sorry Skud...for the lack of my internet etiquette earlier--clearly not my intention to high jack your thread or to steal your Thunder in any way

nice WF..thank you for sharing

ID1

www.lake-simcoe.ca

Guest gbfisher
Williamson spoon (half gold and half silver) with pearl twitching it off the bottom of 83 feet he tells me. Go get'em you crazy ice fisher's!

Oh, and he was there from 10:00 to 1:00 and bite stopped.

The addition of a pearl treble makes a Williams have a total of 10 hooks. You will get fined for having 6 hooks more than you are allowed.

Hope this info helps It's not nice finding out the hard way.

Edited by gbfisher

The addition of a pearl treble makes a Williams have a total of 10 hooks. You will get fined for having 6 hooks more than you are allowed.

Hope this info helps It's not nice finding out the hard way.

gbfisher you are incorrect. When part of a lure a hook is defined as "The number of hooks includes any single pointed or multiple pointed hooks that are part of a lure."

When part of a lure you don't count points but individual hooks single or multiple pointed.

If you counted individual points then the Williams Ice Jig would be illegal the way it is sold due to having 7 points. This is not the case.

BTW I suspect Dozer did not mean adding an extra treble(but still would be only 4 hooks) but using a treble with a pearl instead of a plain treble.

Guest gbfisher
gbfisher you are incorrect. When part of a lure a hook is defined as "The number of hooks includes any single pointed or multiple pointed hooks that are part of a lure."

When part of a lure you don't count points but individual hooks single or multiple pointed.

If you counted individual points then the Williams Ice Jig would be illegal the way it is sold due to having 7 points. This is not the case.

BTW I suspect Dozer did not mean adding an extra treble(but still would be only 4 hooks) but using a treble with a pearl instead of a plain treble.

If you say so.... :rolleyes: try it sometime.

Again, modifying a lure by adding bait or a treble trailer will get you a nasty fine when using a Williams. ;)

If you say so.... :rolleyes: try it sometime.

Again, modifying a lure by adding bait or a treble trailer will get you a nasty fine when using a Williams. ;)

Where are you getting this from? :rolleyes: Could you point it out in the regulations.

Nothing wrong with adding bait to a lure or modifying a lure as long as the bait you add is legal bait or your modifications don't include to many hooks. My definition of a hook came out of the Regulation Summary pg. 8

Adding a minnow head or a power egg to a Williams is often done when the bite is slow. A plain treble not directly attached to lure counts as 3 hooks. A treble with a pearl is a lure so it counts as one hook. And if you read my post Dozer said nothing about adding a stinger but only having a treble with a peal on it. Williams sells these if you check their website. It is also quite common when downrigging to use 2 lures (dropper line or three way swivel) on a single fishing pole. As long as the total hooks (single or multi-point) do not exceed 4 your legal.

Edited by Woodsman