Jan 1, 2010 Ice fishing Lake Lloyd

irishfield

Not sure whos great idea this was... but to bed at 1 and up at 5:30.. to pick Terry up in Orillia by 7 and head for Lake Lloyd in Zone 15.

The great day, today, almost didn't happen... I left the old truck with a 1/2 tank of gas, after last Sunday's outing, and I jumped in it this morning to be greated by about an 1/8th of a tank... damn kids!! :angry: New Years day and of course not a gas station open in Midland.. not that any are usually open before 6 anyhow.. but I had hope. So I pedalled that old GM like I've never done before... cruise control for most of the highway travel and pulled into Orillia to see that even Timmy's was closed... oh no.. this ain't gonna be good. Thinking we're gonna be stuck in Orillia with no gas and even the peelers ain't open! lol. Got lucky and the Sunoco was the ONLY station open, right beside where I pick Terry up in front of the Hock Shop... I put 95.36 litres into a 95 litre tank !!

So fuel in the tank.. next door to load Terry's stuff and off we headed for Lake Lloyd. Around Kirkfield I threw the hood over Terry's head again (for the second time in a week) for the next hour or so. He's pretty quiet when you do that.. must be something he practices at home! :D:D

Arrived at the lake about 8:20 and loaded up our hut'boggans... to the tune of :w00t: I forgot my fishing rods in the truck! Lucky for Terry.. I had 4 with me.

With our lack of sleep.. it was great that Lloyd and Drew were already there.. and Lloyd had brought his sled, so he came in and towed us out. We drilled a few holes, got all set up and stared and stared and stared as fishies teased us on the "video game screen".

Around 10:30 I had a big "hook" pop up on my screeen and whipped my spoon up towards it quickly.. a couple jigs and fish on. Nice, strong, squirmy laker that we released after a quick picture. Wish I had of kept it for supper after coming home to an empty house. Lots of movement on the finder after that, for all of us, but the fish were definitely out partying last night as well.. because they sure weren't aggressive. Called my Step-father around 11:30 from the hut to wish him a Happy New Year and got the usual lecture.. "what do you mean you are out fishing again... and I bet you let the darn thing go too.. why do you do that.. eat them for God's sake". Unfortunately he just can't grasp the concept, at 79 years of age, as to why we catch and release. A man that escaped German occupation of his Polish homeland... losing a buddy in the ordeal.. scrounging food to survive... just can't figure it all out, this thing we call catch and release.

Many moves thru the day... lots of holes manual drilled.. well except the old guy with his 3HP power auger! :whistling:

Lloyd got a nice big, 6 or 7 lb, laker mid afternoon, but was too far away to get a picture. After moving back into a group.. and Lloyd (actually in my holes from the first laker) pulled up another one around 3pm, and it was something that he even got it up. Not sure if you can make it out... but you'll see the line back and forth between both holes. Laker swam around the 2nd line before he got it up. So three Lakers were the total for the 4 or us today when Terry and I left at 3:30. Keith had showed up at about 3Pm after fishing Rice Lake earlier, without any real success, and Lloyd text us to say Keith caught a Laker just as we were driving out the lake access road.

Attached a few pictures... my FTP is down for my website for uploading. Thanks for the great start to the year lads !!

waynelakerjan1st2010.jpg

terryjan012010.jpg

lloydlakerjan012010.jpg

lloydlakerjan012010a.jpg

lowranceicesetup.jpg

Edited by irishfield

a great way to spend new years day

I have been fish every day this year......LOL

once I hit barrie on the 400. it came to a stop

I never did see what the problem was but 40kmh was top speed the rest of the way to highway 88

Like always nothing better then a day out with good friends. Well ill be back out tomorrow and will see if i can keep that Terry smell out of my shack again lol

(I'm Terry/Joe means)

to not catch a fish :wallbash:

to smell like skunk :asshat:

to ask myself what am i doing wrong :dunno:

lol well bud I'm glad your a good sport and you know it comes from the heart. Ill try and catch a big one for you tomorrow lol

Great report Wayne, looks like you guys started the year off well.

Glad you made it home throught that weather mess.

Terry, I think there was a bad accident on highway 11 into Bradford and they closed the road so that's probably why hwy 400 was like that. My sister had to deviate on the way home.

Good on ya's and Happy New Year to you!!

Joey