The "best" hand auger??

Curtis

Hey guys i am just wondering what your preferences are for hand augers. I have the old blue style sweed bore 5" it works great but could i do better? I recently made an adapter for it so i can run it with my 18volt drill, never thought it would work this good :thumbsup_anim: . Im just thinking something better would help make my batteries go further right now i can drill about 20holes without a recharge of my batteries. I dont know about you guys but 20 holes just dont cut it if your out for more than a few hrs. :dunno:

lol i dont mind drilling them by hand its just the volume of holes i drill its nothing for me to punch 50 a day.. I am very mobile when it comes to ice fishing...

Must be the bass angler coming out of me during the hard water season... B)

Edited by Curtis

Go with a Nilsmaster. I have a 4 1/2" and I can go through 1 1/2' of ice faster than my buddy with his 10" power auger. I can drill holes all day long with this one. Get one with curved blades and offset handles. Half the energy exerted to get the hole drilled.

PB

fin bore III is the best in my opinion. ill be selling a barely used 8" very soon when i upgrade to a gas auger. have an atv to haul the gas one around now :thumbsup_anim:

if you are going to be drilling a couple holes here and there a cheaper one will do. but if you want to drill holes and find the fish you better get a good auger. that goes for gas augers too.

Curtis

I have owned several hand augers 8 inch 6 inch and 5 inch.

I currently use a 5 inch lazer for 90% of my fishing. The lazer has the curved blades as does the fin bore III. No matter what you do...don't even consider a straight blade auger, like you already have. It is a way more work.

The lazer has the straight shaft you lean on the top of and drill one handed. The Fin Bore III has the offset handles. I have both and prefer my 5 inch lazer. Take your pick. Stick with the curved blade and you can not go wrong.

Some people use a 4 or even a 3.5. OK for perch/smelt and small pannies but that's about it. Don't even consider chasing slab crappie with a hole smaller then 5.

Good luck with whatever you go with.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i like the good ol' mora swede augers...

mine has a 4 inch extension to the handle to offset the handles and it cuts real quick as long as you know how to cut a hole proper....

try and push down to hard, or drill crooked and you're going to have a tough time (and wreck my nice sharp auger blades!)

Luc

Serious isn't the issue money is lol I tend to spend all my money on more tackle... I only fish crappies and perch right now, when i move up to eyes i will have to change it up to power augers..

Whats a good gas auger worth?

Its weight in gold when you are out with 4 little kids and 3' of ice looking for the fish. :thumbsup_anim:

ya ya lol just because im young and can drill holes all day dosen't mean i want to i will stick with my cordless drill.. :P

I wouldn't bother with power if I was only drilling a 6" hole, even with 3' of ice.

I crack up every time I see this cordless drill thing mentioned.

my favorite auger is the one my fishing partner uses. ;)

When we got into the heavy ice we would have 2 guys on an auger. You can zip through 3' with an 8" in no time. plus you get to stand there and compete at it a bit. tell your partner...come on push, wer'e almost there.

I drill 90% of my holes by hand. I just can't be bothered to haul around a gas auger when I'm walking, or on early ice. I know when my buds come with a gas auger, my hand drilled hole is done, scooped out and my line is being sent down before they have thier holes drilled :)

Until there is a foot, I drill by hand. Its not a big deal to pound a hole thru the ice. I am good with the old school mora/swedebore augers. I haven't quite got the finbore down, but I just picked up an 8"er to try out for this season........they're supposed to be good........I'll let ya know :)

S.