Predator hunters???

Curtis

I agree with Lew. 100%.

The coyotes are not growing in numbers because there are few of us shooting them now. They're here because there has been lots of game. Its cyclical. Once there's less food they'll drop as well.

Also, sinker is right. When their population is pressured they multiply more. If there was a bounty on them and every hunter in ontario started shooting them....there'd be more in 2 yrs than we have now.

So, what's the point?

If one is getting too close, you should dispose of that one. To go hunting ones in the bush that aren't hurting anyone......to me seems exactly like killing a shark for its fin.

I think you are forgetting the young girl that was killed by them on Cape Breton island this summer.

Maybe we should send you a few more bears too.

The natural selection and evoloution is me blasting them with a 30-06.

And it is illegal to kill them and leave them. You must skin them and process the pelt.

There are rules for hunting as well as fishing. You guys don't want the anti fishers tropming on your sport so please don't tromp on ours. Or soon we will all be sitting playing video games.

You said it, Dara. I agree.

I think you are forgetting the young girl that was killed by them on Cape Breton island this summer.

Maybe we should send you a few more bears too.

The natural selection and evoloution is me blasting them with a 30-06.

And it is illegal to kill them and leave them. You must skin them and process the pelt.

There are rules for hunting as well as fishing. You guys don't want the anti fishers tropming on your sport so please don't tromp on ours. Or soon we will all be sitting playing video games.

My brother got one down home in a snare a couple years ago and I think he said he got $42 for the pelt. I know I wouldn't feel bad about shooting one. They do kill livestock. So do foxes for that matter. My brother said some got some of their chickens but I don't think I'd want to shoot them.

Unless you hunt to extirpation, it is not an effective control measure.

Coyotes are in my city park each night. They have entered my yard and fought my dogs. But it is not a matter of hunting, but simply stop providing any type of food source to them: whether it be pets, garbage or people actually feeding them.

Stop giving them a reason to come around and they won't. The situation is approaching a point where this is going to become a big problem.

Hunting in urban areas is not an option, so since we are supposed to be smarter than them.. we have to adjust our ways.

FactSheet___Coyotes.doc

Went hunting today and this morning the gound had a layer of fresh snow and i counted over 8 different Coyote tracks. I am on crownland. They must have been moving alot lastnight.

Also had a redfox come past me at 10 yards, I was half asleep and opened my eyes in enough time to see it walk past me. :(

I've thought about hunting them, but the issue I have is the table fare.

I enjoy the sport, but to me with out the harvest is just a bit awkward?

I suppose a pelt would be cool for the Basement decore, but after that I'm unsure how many I could gift?

Although I suppose the table fare might be kind of a challenge for me ( Chef by trade )

mmm...I think I might be talking myself into this as I type LOL!

I'd have to agree about the MASSIVE over population though....

If I had a good night camera I gaurentee I could post pics on demand LOL...

The Farm feilds around here are full of them each night chaseing the deer around trying to feed on the corn stalks.

Unless you hunt to extirpation, it is not an effective control measure.

Coyotes are in my city park each night. They have entered my yard and fought my dogs. But it is not a matter of hunting, but simply stop providing any type of food source to them: whether it be pets, garbage or people actually feeding them.

Stop giving them a reason to come around and they won't. The situation is approaching a point where this is going to become a big problem.

Hunting in urban areas is not an option, so since we are supposed to be smarter than them.. we have to adjust our ways.

Problem is Rick, coyotes, like possum and racoon will eat just about anything. As people try to live in a more "eco friendly" fashion wildlife will cohabitate with them. I think we are seeing the rebirth of trapping. Not for fur but to remove nuisanse wildlife. I know coyotes are very difficult to trap and almost impossible to live trap. I think shooting every one that you get an opportunity to won't hurt either. If you know a trapper give him the hide or the carcass for him to skin.

Problem is Rick, coyotes, like possum and racoon will eat just about anything. As people try to live in a more "eco friendly" fashion wildlife will cohabitate with them. I think we are seeing the rebirth of trapping. Not for fur but to remove nuisanse wildlife. I know coyotes are very difficult to trap and almost impossible to live trap. I think shooting every one that you get an opportunity to won't hurt either. If you know a trapper give him the hide or the carcass for him to skin.

The idea is to not give them a free meal...like your free roaming cat. The less we give them the more they will move to easier food sources. I am installing motion detector lights, these work very well on urban coyotes.

The urban/rural issue is very different since trapping and hunting is not permissable. It is about teaching people not to let your cats run at large, not to let your dogs off lead in a park, secure garbage in animal-proof containers and use common sense.

As we green up some areas of town and develop others, this is the natural result.

We have to figure out how to live with it.

i totally expected some of these comments on a fishing board where many members are against humans hurting gods little creatures.

the FACT is that those who are whining about hunters controlling coyote numbers know absolutely NOTHING about coyotes period. id say its comparable to liberals trying to educate firearms owners on various firearms issues. they have their minds made up and their opinions are based on media hype and lack of knowledge.

im not even going to bother trying to educate the ignorant folks in this thread because it is totally pointless...

that said, i enjoy shooting every coyote i see :thumbsup_anim:

Coyotes eatting people? LOL.

It is exactly the same as killing a shark for its fin. You might think coyotes are a 'problem' right now, but this is how many many many animals ended up extinct. We think they are a problem or valuable, and then as greedy humans we kill them until they are gone.

I hope coyotes do thin out the herds of humans. If you are dumb enough to be eatten by one, you probably deserve it. Natural selection, evolution at it's best.

On your first post you come up with this, go somewhere else thanks! :blahblah1:

Guest gbfisher

I think some have to read a fair bit and do. Then ask questions. If it isn't for you that's fine.

People shouldn't knock something they have no comprehension about. :rolleyes:

That's what starts organizations that destroy the things that some people like to do.

Just my opinion of course. :santa:

Have to love some people calling others ignorant and ill informed and at the same time thinking that hunting coyotes will do anything to limit their #'s.

tell that to the groups of guys who take 100+ yotes every winter with dogs. how about those hunters who are really into yote hunting and take dozens every year? maybe the trappers across ontario who take thousands every winter might have an impact?

your average hunter who gets out a few times each season will have no impact on yote populations, but serious hunters, those who run dogs, and trappers help to keep the populations in check. if we all just stopped killing yotes today the population would skyrocket for a while until there is not enough food left or disease kills them off before the numbers started decreasing. the numbers of wildlife would go down while livestock predation would rise.

Have to love some people calling others ignorant and ill informed and at the same time thinking that hunting coyotes will do anything to limit their #'s.

Come on. If thousands of hunters hunted coyotes exclusively for two weeks a year like they do for deer it would definately have an impact on their population. Especially if it were timed to have maximum impact.

I have another question to those that have suggested that you can cause them to move if you cut off their food supply. There is no place for them to move to when their population is so high. They will seek out new sources of food.

Edited by hammercarp

I don't think thinning overpopulation is a bad thing. Coyotes can be a real problem in urban areas. Unfortunatly, they don't try to avoid human contact and they are opportunists, getting themselves into trouble.

The only thing that I feel strongly about is making clean kills! While I was out walking my dogs last week, they found a small female that had been shot and curled under a tree to die. She was frozen to the ground and looked as if she was sleeping there. I know sometimes they get away, but I don't like to see any animal suffer a slow death.

Just so you guys know.....I used to hunt myself...so I am NOT anti-hunt.

i totally expected some of these comments on a fishing board where many members are against humans hurting gods little creatures.

the FACT is that those who are whining about hunters controlling coyote numbers know absolutely NOTHING about coyotes period. id say its comparable to liberals trying to educate firearms owners on various firearms issues. they have their minds made up and their opinions are based on media hype and lack of knowledge.

im not even going to bother trying to educate the ignorant folks in this thread because it is totally pointless...

that said, i enjoy shooting every coyote i see :thumbsup_anim:

This is the most sensible post I have ever read from ch312. If only he wrote sensible posts like this over on CGN he wouldn't be one of the laughing stock.

What he says is true. People here know fishing, not nearly as much about wildlife population as they think. You all may have stayed at a Holiday Inn last night but the majority of you have no idea about current ecology. Most of you are totally out of touch with the marine ecology you all so love to fish so for people to question shooting a coyote is just senseless ramble.

I saw a thread on here about someone who was taking up trapping, who also admitted he didn't eat the game he trapped, and as well mentioned that the prices for the pelts might not even be worth him selling. I didn't see this type of sentiment in that thread.

Lew, with all respect to you, you will soon learn the issue with coyotes. If you have any pets that will be outside for a wizz or poop in the middle of the night you will want to watch over said pet with a gun because city slickers don't understand the 10 seconds it will take for the coyote to run your pet right into the rest of the pack where they will tear pieces of meat off your pet while it is still alive enduring the pain of being eaten alive by way of this process called natural selection.

Urban sprawl has lead way to deer being pushed into smaller groups, smaller groups equal easier mating, this gives more little bambis which allows for the coyotes which are multiplying just as fast as the deer. Just as you are seeing more deer entering into urban areas, you are seeing more coyotes getting into urban areas. This may be effective ferrel cat control but it's also responsible for many a lost dog.

This is the most sensible post I have ever read from ch312. If only he wrote sensible posts like this over on CGN he wouldn't be one of the laughing stock.

What he says is true. People here know fishing, not nearly as much about wildlife population as they think. You all may have stayed at a Holiday Inn last night but the majority of you have no idea about current ecology. Most of you are totally out of touch with the marine ecology you all so love to fish so for people to question shooting a coyote is just senseless ramble.

I saw a thread on here about someone who was taking up trapping, who also admitted he didn't eat the game he trapped, and as well mentioned that the prices for the pelts might not even be worth him selling. I didn't see this type of sentiment in that thread.

Lew, with all respect to you, you will soon learn the issue with coyotes. If you have any pets that will be outside for a wizz or poop in the middle of the night you will want to watch over said pet with a gun because city slickers don't understand the 10 seconds it will take for the coyote to run your pet right into the rest of the pack where they will tear pieces of meat off your pet while it is still alive enduring the pain of being eaten alive by way of this process called natural selection.

Urban sprawl has lead way to deer being pushed into smaller groups, smaller groups equal easier mating, this gives more little bambis which allows for the coyotes which are multiplying just as fast as the deer. Just as you are seeing more deer entering into urban areas, you are seeing more coyotes getting into urban areas. This may be effective ferrel cat control but it's also responsible for many a lost dog.

Well I guess that just clears up everything. Thanks. :clapping::worthy::worthy::worthy:

As long as the hunters/trappers use the pelts i'm all for it.

But i do gotta laugh a little when hunters say that without them the population for (enter animals name here) will explode if they don't hunt them. Cause lets face it, if you left'em alone nature will eventually reach an equilibrium. Just like it has for thousands of years. But that being said, people DO and WILL ALWAYS hunt (which i am all for by the way). so by all means use it for population control. Its another variable to the equation that has to be considered.

Another thing to consider, they were here way before us. We're pushin them, naturally they're gonna push back when they're against the wall.

Put yourself on a raft in the middle of the ocean for 3 days with nothing but Fluffy the cat with ya... he'll start lookin mighty apetizing :D

Happy hunting lads and ladies