newbie question on towing (nf)

nel

This might sound silly, but I haven't seen anyone ask this question before...

I'm saving for a nice big boat...eta 2 years. So in the meantime, I'm trying to learn as much as I can. One of the little bits of info that I've never been able to find is how do you attach the trailer to the truck? Maybe it's obvious to trailer users, but I'm not one yet...

How do you put the ball in the hole? The tounge weight is suppose to be 10% of the total weight, but for a 2000pound boat, that's 200pounds...sounds a bit heavy to lift...

Also, how do you get the trailer positioned correctly to line it up with the truck? Does the trailer move easily? (Please don't tell me you just back the truck up to near the boat and they magically attach to each other)

Nobody ever describes how to attach the trailer for some reason...I hope it's because it's so easy...

LOL!!! The ball either goes on the bumper or on the hitch receiver, it has a 3/4 or 5/8" diameter bolt on the bottom of it with a lock washer and nut. You CAREFULLY back the truck to the trailer within and inch or so of where you need to be to let the trailer down onto the ball with the supplied trailer "leg". It will take practice, not to mention the backing of the trailer down the boat ramp to put the boat into the water and take it out. .. could you please make a video of your first few times doing these things???

I can't describe to you how to attach the trailer... I do it all the time, our house trailer, the utility trailer, boat trailer and everytime it is never the same. I can say you make sure the little thingy is up that the things inside grab the ball properly, that your electric brakes and lights all work... cause if you are anything like me, and have a significant other that isn't handy you need to do these things yourself. Learning to back up as close as possible is awesome as is one of those wheels that goes on the end of your trailer to help move it around. I am sure someone will come along and explain it to you fully... but one thing to always remember... Hook the trailer up first... cause by the time you get everything packed, make sure everyone is ready to go, you are going to be frustrated and wanting to get out of there and if something just doesn't go right it gets terribly frustrating fast!

Hope you enjoy that boat once you get it... great thread, can't wait to see the answers that follow!

trailer jack , and helper ( to guide you) and practise.

Oh yeah patience as well.

Seriously it snot as hard as it looks . Only dinge dthe bumper on the new van once !

Whats a bit harder is backing up the trailer once its attached .find a big empty lot and practise some more .

Good luck

Crank the trailer lip high enough with the little helper lift.

Back up very close to line up the ball on vehicle hitch with the recepticle at the end of the trailer.

Crank down the trailer so the recepticle fits right over the ball.

Latch it down and insert the cotter pin so it does not come un-done.

Connect the chains that are on the trailer to the hitch mounted on the vehicle.

Connect the wiring harness on the trailer and make sure all lights, signals, and flashers are working.

Double check all straps connecting the boat to the trailer.

Practice backing ... it will take practice and more practice.

(I still stink at it. One time - back it straight in. The next time .. need a back or two).

I've set myself up, so its easy.

Heres what I do:

When I get the boat at home, before I unhook it.....I put a brick where my back tire is, and another brick on the side of the same tire. Then go back and unhook the trailer, chains, lights. LIft it off the vehicle with the tongue jack and drive away.

Next time you go to hook up the boat, line up the same back wheel with your bricks on the ground. When you hit the brick that was at the back of the wheel, put on the parking brake, go to the back and lower the boat onto the ball with the tongue jack again.....sometimes a bit of wiggling here and there to get it on the ball right, but usually it just drops right on.

Hook up chains, lights (make sure they're working), once around the boat and away you go.

Easy sleasy

A tongue jack with a wheel is a must have...it makes life so much easier. The hardest part is getting the boat where you want to park it.....but....that will come with time. I can put my boat just about anywhere.

Sinker

Use a trailer padlock on the hitch. not just the cotter pin.and make sure the clip part where the ball goes is dropped down and doesnt bind. and if your driveway is on any angle whatever ,have lots of wheeel blocks handy when you unhitch or you will have a big hole in the rear of your van or truck ,and keep your fingers out of there !@!

Great idea Kanuck. I typically remove the cotter pin and replace it with a lock when I leave the house. Even after I launch the boat, the lock goes on. Too easy for someone to make off with the trailer. It was about a year or two ago, at a camp I was staying, this very same thing happened. Not while I was there, but during a bass tournament. A guy came back up for the trailer and ..... gone ! Take Kanuck's advise and ask the dealer about a lock.

Sinker has a really good idea there, it will make hooking up much easier and a trailer jack with a wheel will be a big help making those final adjustments.

Just make sure that your hitch is suited to the boat and tongue weight that you are going to be towing.

Here's a video I found on youtube...showing one way to do it....look around the one minute mark...

<BR><BR>

<object width="320" height="240"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="320" height="240"></embed></object>

It might be wiser to start with a smaller boat and Trailer...There's a big difference between towing a 4000 lb. tandem axle 20'er package and a 2000 lb. single axle package. But hey, some guys like to start big. If you have 2 years, try to get out with someone else that has a boat a few times at least, the best way to learn is to be apart of the operation. I'll glady tale you out fishing for a day and show you how things are done. PM me if your interested, i'm in the Niagara region.