Replica mount of a Burbot

hookerdown

I have heard and seen a couple of mounts done of some Burbot. I am thinking that I should get a replica done of the one I caught this past winter (Don't know why I didn't think of this before). I won't get it done for a while but hopefully in the future.

Does anyone know of any local taxidermists that can do a replica mount of a burbot? I know in the GTA we got some amazing guys, but haven't heard of anyone in Ontario who has done such a mount.

Ling and burbot are two different fish but we've been down that road before. Good luck on the burbot mount...I don't remember ever having seen one but I'm certain that many are being done.

I must have missed that forum. I understand that they are one in the same.

Also regarding the colour pattern- they are actually quite easy to paint because of the definite markings.

ive always thought that ling, burbot, eelpout are all the same fish. the ling in the ocean (ling cod) are obviously different but what is the difference between a ling and burbot????

very nice ling/burbot by the way!! should make a nice mount. one of my guests from minnesota had a 37 incher mounted.

As Roy said... Burbot and the common Ling are two different fish. Burbot is also know as a Lawyer.. not sure if that has anything to do with the slim or not (sorry Marty!) Burbot is the only member of it's, Lota, family and is a freshwater fish that is cod LIKE.. not a family member. The Common Ling is a member of the cod family and is an ocean fish.

So kinda like that Walleye/Pickeral deal. We all call them Ling.. but they are really Burbot ! People call them lots of things besides UGLY !! Lota lota or Ling, Eelpout, Loche, Freshwater Cod, Maria, Methy, Lush, Lawyer

Other common names include: American Burbot, Cusk, Dogfish, Eelpout, Freshwater Cod, Freshwater Codfish, Freshwater Crusk, Gudgeon, Lawyer, Ling, Lingcod, Loche, Lush (Alaska), Maria, Methy, Mother Eel, Mud Blower, Spineless Catfish, Lake (Swe)

(google is your friend ! LOL)

Edited by irishfield

I don't care what you want to call it Ling and burbot

pickerel walleye

brook trout specks speckled trout

we know what you mean, call it whatever you father before you called it and it is just fine.................

crappies are papermouths, calico bass, strawberry bass, white perch, specks, speckled perch, sac-a-lait .does it really matter

I have seen a ton of Advanced Taxidermy's work and I have no doubts on how good their work is. The problem is, are there any Burbot molds out there and particularly one that size?

I have sent the guys an email through their website so hopefully I will hear from them. The other question is what is the best way to position the burbot for a mount. (man that sounds so wrong!!! :o )

Guest gbfisher

Reminds me of a joke...

A guy walks into a Taxidermist all sad and bent out of shape about his two pet Monkeys that died suddenly. He thought that having them stuffed would remind him of all the happy years he had them. The Taxidermist felt sorry for the gentleman and the guy

decides to have the job done. The Taxidermist asked him." How would you like them mounted?" The guy looks at him kinda funny and says. "No. Shaking hands would be good. :D:rolleyes::)