Ice Fishing Stoney Lake

basketclam

I'd like to get a bit of discussion going about ice fishing on Stoney Lake. What presentations are people going to be trying? Where do people think the hot spots might be? Etc. I don't want people sharing their deepest secrets, but let's hear some general discussion.

I think that I'm going to start with working the shorline on the southeast side of the lake where Stoney and Clear meet. There's a good drop off along that stretch of shoreline that I think will hold fish. Not too far from there, I'm also betting that fish will be found in amongst the islands near Kawartha Park Marina - Big Island, Munroe, etc. Both of those locations will be within easy walking distance of lake access.

Anybody know if any of the marinas in the area will be open to sell bait?

I live in an apartment so keep a worm composter to take care of kitchen scraps. The red wigglers are so small that I've never bothered to use them open water fishing before. But I think that their small size will be just the ticket for panfish through the ice, with a really small jig head. Anybody ever tried that before? Might it work?

Stoney and Clear are going to be interesting because they have shallow and deep habitat that should support good panfish populations. Some northern lakes have great crappie fishing in deep basins. We have caught fish as deep as 60 feet. These fish are mainly feeding on zooplanton and tend to suspend alot. The shallower lakes in the Kawartha's should see most of the fish relating to weeds as the main forage will be minnows and other small snacks. Stoney and Clear might have both.

I was thinking the large weed flat in the bottom of Clear might be good. Of course access to the lake will be an issue.

Good luck. :D

Anybody know about Katchewanooka? I know it does freeze over in places but I'm not sure if it will totally.

I couldn't tell you. I know that there is at least one patch near our place on Stoney that rarely freezes. Even if it looks solid this year, I guarantee that I won't be the guy testing it out.

Anybody know about Katchewanooka? I know it does freeze over in places but I'm not sure if it will totally.

I wouldn't trust much of the ice on Katchewanooka. It's more like a river than a lake. Anytime the Trent Severn decides to move some water, any current areas will deteriorate quickly. The only safe ice would probably be on the south-east shore north of Lakefield College. Just look for the regular snowmobile traffic on the lake.

According to my map, some of the best fishing might be right near there. Drops down to a nice 18' to 20' basin not to far from shore.

I think worms get too lethargic in cold water.

I don't think that it's wiggling action you're looking for, it's the scent of live bait. Panfisherman use waxies and grubs impaled on small jigs for perch, bluegill and crappie, and they don't wiggle at all. Small red worms I think would work well for panfish .... (and the occasional bass is likely to smack it too!).

Edited by lhousesoccer

I don't think that it's wiggling action you're looking for, it's the scent of live bait. Panfisherman use waxies and grubs impaled on small jigs for perch, bluegill and crappie, and they don't wiggle at all. Small red worms I think would work well for panfish .... (and the occasional bass is likely to smack it too!).

Well, I'll give it a go and let everyone know how it works out for me. It may end up being a bust. If that's the case, so be it. If not, so much the better.

The new regulations for 2010-2011 for zone 17 allow icefishing for panfish and coarse fish only starting January 1st 2010...bass, pickerel, and mucksies will be closed until their regular opening dates...

Edited by Beans