Quad Mods.

Moosebunk

Last week like the week before and the week before and the week before that, I had some time on my hands. Bored outta my skull of late, there was need for a healthy project. With the coming ice season and no way of knowing whether or not the valley will have good enough snow and trail conditions for the Bravo and sleigh, I figured it wise to prepare BIG RED with some cargo boxes in case of a dry season.

Top priorities were...

A solid and easily mountable construction, first and foremost for carrying the auger, then any other ice fishing gear. Also, the comfort of the two-up seating and passenger for the bike wasn't to be jeopardized. Lastly, I thought it should look pretty slick!!!

Having a garage with the new home certainly is enjoyable these days.

Getting started...

I cut the shape from some leftover treated plywood and began the auger head box.

QuadMods01.jpg

Inside the box a bracket was constructed to help secure the auger.

QuadMods02.jpg

The 1/4 inch ply finished the motor box and then the tackle and bait storage box was started.

QuadMods03.jpg

I wanted closed, snug and safe keeping of any minnow bucket that might travel. A larger bucket which can be removed sits inside and can be used for any number of things, (taking home the catch) but also, it will accept the bait bucket if need be.

QuadMods04.jpg

Two compartments on this side and a little creativity in the construction, the walls were put in place. BIG RED's cargo boxes coming to life...

QuadMods05.jpg

Now it was onto the front box which was expected to carry the 10" auger blade. With spare ply and some 2X2's and 2X3's it came together quick.

A slit to one side in the wall was made to position and secure the blades, keeping the auger to one side and allowing more storage for other things to the other.

QuadMods06.jpg

The front and back cargo atop BIG RED sat unsecured for a first look.

QuadMods07.jpg

Next the doors for the 3 rear compartments were constructed and everything went to my painter...

QuadMods08-1.jpg

The front box needed a solid means of securing it to BIG RED, so... two cleats were measured up and cut to fit perfectly into the bikes front rack, then drilled into the bottom of the box they would eliminate any forward/back and side to side movement.

QuadMods09.jpg

The doors and locks were added...

QuadMods10.jpg

... and they worked out just fine. All doors open in.

QuadMods14-1.jpg

QuadMods12-1.jpg

On the back of BIG RED the mounting was easy. A single strong tie-down was all that is needed. Behind the seat also remains enough space for a geri-can or small Rubbermaid. Remove the seat and there's enough space for my 70L Coleman cooler, the float tube, a large Rubbermaid, grand piano... whatever.

QuadMods11-1.jpg

The front auger box also mounted up easily. Two strong thingy-mibobs I had kicking around, I stuck on the left and right side. A strong bungee there, running ring to ring and wrapping through the rack, and two small bungees from the front of the rack to the handle are enough to stop any bounce. Again, the cleats below do the rest.

QuadMods13.jpg

A top view in the garage... and it's believed that the "pretty slick" priority from onset is being achieved.

QuadMods15-1.jpg

Today I loaded it up and took it all for a tour in the forest behind the house. Needed will be some clips or locks for the cargo doors and, maybe some well thought-out placements of some ring-screws or U-nails for supporting more bungee uses, if needed.

The auger head was fine. Although, I do throw in an old blanket to cushion it from any bouncing around.

QuadMods16-1.jpg

The bait bucket wasn't going anywhere, and the tackle trays stayed put too. (enough space for 2 large and a small Plano)

QuadMods17-1.jpg

The geri-can came along for the tour and didn't budge. All-in-all the back cargo was strong and secure... and again... pretty slick. And, although the boxes look like they overhang off the sides of the bike by a mile... they don't. The width of the two is equal to the width of the quads wheel base, but they come off the back a ways.

QuadMods18-1.jpg

The front cargo was fine. Chucked the auger and Lowrance Ice Machine in for good measure. Also strapped the rod locker in behind the box with a bungee. Nothing moved.

QuadMods20-1.jpg

Full range of steering wasn't affected at all either. Rods, tackle, flasher, auger and bait bucket all atop BIG RED... pretty much all the necessities were covered. Still plenty room for odds and ends, as well as fuel or even a few cases of beer.

QuadMods19.jpg

End of the project and I was happy with the results. Making my own cargo boxes was considerably cheaper than buying what was commercially available for the Outlander.. AND.. I was able to create them much more specific to the needs of ice fishing. Looking at the wood in them, they're built tough too. :lol: Come summer as well, they are simply empty boxes that can be filled right up with the float tube gear of two people, or used even for hauling camping stuff off into the woods.

QuadMods23-1.jpg

QuadMods21.jpg

QuadMods22.jpg

Could care less if it snows now this winter... just as long as it's cold and the fish are biting.

If you're really bored... I can put ya to work!

SERIOUSLY DOOD!!!???

What would I be doing and how much you paying? Bren would likely LOVE to see me making some coin... and getting out of her hair. :lol:

If ya need me to, for the winter I'll keep your cottage warm and shovelled out. ;):D

Very nice work!

One suggestion, if you get some weather stripping on the lids, the boxes will be much quieter as you are going down the trail. As well, it should help to keep moisture out as well.

Speaking of moisture, perhaps some 5/8 holes at the low points will help to drain the boxes if you do get water in them. Just paint the exposed wood to protect it.

Wow, enjoyed reading and seeing the pics of your progress, and the final product, awesome. Very creative design, glad to hear everything stayed in place. I must admit, I had my doubts. ;) I thought you might of had to implement some custom cut styro-foam or spunge in those boxes, but it pulled through nicely without it.

The only thing that could make that quad look bad is if you painted the boxes pink. :D That's a sick looking vehicle.

Must say, that new place of yours looks pretty sweet, looks like you got tons o space in that garage of yours. Good stuff man.

First suggestion is a great one. Thanks. :D It was quite noisy on the first ride.

Second suggestion has already been done. ;)

Your welcome, also I meant to mention the pressure treated lumber is corrosive. You may want to have a barrier between it and any metal it is in contact with.

nice work! those boxes are built tough! lot of over kill! like all you really needed was plywood for lids no need for 2x2s around it and in the box a bit over kill.i also suggest some sort of padding for the powerhead, even some carpet on the wood. they look pretty heavy. you could flip that bike and those boxes will still be perfect haha! also see you did some fun cuts to like the rabbet joints on some parts instead of just butt joints. all in all good work it'll get the job done just fine!!

Nice Work.

Lord knows Im no handyman but.........

With all the screws exposed.......cant someone just unscrew all the latches/hinges and get into the compartments/boxes anyways?

Again, I aint knocking the idea or the workmanship...........just curious.

Meely :santa:

Meely - I have no plans on locking stuff up. Would only consider the locks just to keep the lids closed.

Twocoda - A little reflective tape ain't a bad idea. I had planned to actually within the white painted square on the back.

WormD - it ain't overkill if it's tough. Even you admitted to that.

Looks great Moose, wish I was handy at woodwork. If I can't fix it with a 28oz framing hammer I don't touch it.

For an auger rack I use my existing gun rack. On the rear rack I just cut 2 holes in a piece of plywood to put in my red buckets and screwed in 2 milk crates. the rest goes in my Fishtrap.

P1110001.jpg

Edited by wallyboss