Hockey Question

Daplumma

I can remember as a youngster watching Gordie Howe and the production line back in the day that the goalie would "rough up"the ice in front of the net.I played a lot of "shinny" hockey and pick up games before moving south and lost interest during the 70's and early 80's watching the worst hockey team ever...the Caps.Anyway..do the goalies still scratch up the ice?Why did they do it back then?

Joe

The other day at my son's Novice game (7 & 8 yaer olds) the other goalie did it. It was cute as all get out. Our goalie didn't know which end of the stick to hang on to.

Jim

I remember coaching (not sure that's the right word) 7 & 8 year olds just starting out. They'd all watched tv and each one as he got his turn as a goalie tried to emulate the big boys. They were lucky just to stand up let alone actually prep the ice. I have some great video of the kids playing on their first travel teams at age 9 & 10. They had slightly more composure but not much more skill. :P

Surprising how fast they grew up after that though. By the time he was 11 our eldest was the designated tough guy. The irony was he was about the least combative kid on the team but he loved the physical game. He could hang a totally illegal check on another player with a smile on his face and a sincere apology immediately after. But that's another story. :P

JF