LET THE FISH REST

badman187

I know our season for fishing is short enough but maybe thats why the fishing is so great in Ontario?It must be putting a huge strain on a fish especially a smallmouth that has just been hooked in the middle of november,now that fish just fought for its life and wasted all that energy its been saving up.Oh ya and regurgitated all that food its been tryin to store,so know how is that fish supposed to catch up before a cold front hits?Let them rest

Not sure about bass specifically but a lot of fish actually fair better when released into cooler water than warmer water. I think one of the reasons bass fishing is good in Ontario is the closed spring season which allows a successful spawn.

Also I think the amount of people who continue fishing bass past thanksgiving is pretty low anyways. Keep in mind while you'll see some posts on boards like this, overall most fisherman are the fair weather types and give up much earlier.

They get a rest when few start venturing out in their boats.Then the ice fishing season starts.

fishing is to give people a rest clear your head and decompress.

If people fish this time of year good for them I am all for it.

The very little fishing pressure in November will not change anything.

MTP

Not sure about bass specifically but a lot of fish actually fair better when released into cooler water than warmer water. I think one of the reasons bass fishing is good in Ontario is the closed spring season which allows a successful spawn.

Also I think the amount of people who continue fishing bass past thanksgiving is pretty low anyways. Keep in mind while you'll see some posts on boards like this, overall most fisherman are the fair weather types and give up much earlier.

Sorry thats what I meant if you give them time to spawn why not give them time to eat and survive a winter?

Sorry thats what I meant if you give them time to spawn why not give them time to eat and survive a winter?

Well then maybe we should give them time to take their offspring to swimming classes and not fish for them at all. There's a middle road to all of this though.

I don't knwow what the timing is, but once they get schooled up in pods for the winter it might do them some good to leave them be. There's a reason we don't ice fish for them in the winter.

Or, at least don't keep them in livewells for pics later (or if you do, don't move them to another location....they are schooled up for a reason).

I think one of the reasons bass fishing is good in Ontario is the closed spring season which allows a successful spawn.

Just sayin not all of ontario has a closed spring bass season ;) Northwestern ontario for example! bass are open there all year... well except for december 24 lol, i never understood that haha. and the bass fishing up there is still unreal! i went out plenty of days this year and nailed 50 plus smallies! but im not sayin that all of ontario should have a spring season!

Would that be the canadian thanksgiving or american?. In previous years zone 18, the one I mostly fish, Bass were closed on October 15th. This year it has finally been extended to November 30th and I gotta say.....I don't have a guilty bone in my body for picking on these fish before ice up. It has been an exceptional fall for numbers and size....never having to fish any deeper than 12'. I also like the fact that there is very little pressure on these fish in comparison to summer months.

With the fair weather angler, cottager and hunter out of the picture, the Bass are actually getting a rest.

Would that be the canadian thanksgiving or american?. In previous years zone 18, the one I mostly fish, Bass were closed on October 15th. This year it has finally been extended to November 30th and I gotta say.....I don't have a guilty bone in my body for picking on these fish before ice up. It has been an exceptional fall for numbers and size....never having to fish any deeper than 12'. I also like the fact that there is very little pressure on these fish in comparison to summer months.

With the fair weather angler, cottager and hunter out of the picture, the Bass are actually getting a rest.

Really?Your catching more and they are bigger?It wouldnt have anything to do with them being hugry and putting on weight for the winter would it?Canadian thanksgiving

I haven't kept a bass of any kind in over 30 years so I can't see the harm in it. Of all the game fish in my state and in Ontario I would say smallmouth are the most abundant by FAR....so why do you want to 'rest' the smallmouth and not walleye or trout or pike or muskie, etc........

I haven't kept a bass of any kind in over 30 years so I can't see the harm in it. Of all the game fish in my state and in Ontario I would say smallmouth are the most abundant by FAR....so why do you want to 'rest' the smallmouth and not walleye or trout or pike or muskie, etc........

Rest them all then didnt mean to discriminate sorry haaaaaaaaaa

Just sayin not all of ontario has a closed spring bass season ;) Northwestern ontario for example! bass are open there all year... well except for december 24 lol, i never understood that haha. and the bass fishing up there is still unreal! i went out plenty of days this year and nailed 50 plus smallies! but im not sayin that all of ontario should have a spring season!

is the spring season up that way not catch and release only during the spawn?

New Liskeard North.. open all year with same retention limits. Should be the same everywhere.. they are over populated most everywhere.

you just say that because you catch them in 80fow of water downrigging for lakers wayne! hahaha they are becoming overpopulated big time.

Well, this may just be the most ridiculous thread that i have ever read... LOL. A fisherman not wanting to fish during, quite possibly the best time of the year to fish... less boat traffic, No cottagers or PWC/power boats... Also, the vast majority of anglers out at this time of year are True Sport-fishermen! i don't see ANY harm in extended fall seasons... that being said, i am really looking forward to fishing the kawarthas late fall next year!!!

... and if you'll read this board in Oct. and Nov. you'll see that there are quite a few folks that can't catch a Bass to save their green toothed granny in cold water... try as they might!

oh do i know i guess you dont fight forest fires from april to october like myself and get 4 days off every month.

enoy the monday to fridays do ya?

very good how did you guess?Thats to bad you dont get anytime off monday to friday is great,maye rethink your career choice if your complaining.That is a very honorable occupation.So ill fish all summer and you keep the forests under control

maye rethink your career choice if your complaining.

you might want to rethink you forum choice if your complaining and take up knitting .. "no sheep were harmed in the making of these mittens" .. coming to a fishing site and telling people to stop fishing for the beloved smallmouth cause they need time to rest .. give it up and join a P3TA site