3" Spook with Rattles - Pics Included ** UPDATED **

Leecher

After exchanging a few pm's with BillM a couple of days ago, talking about down sizing the spook to 3" long and adding rattles to it, got busy on the saw and created the miniature size spook.

Did not have ball bearings at hand and did not want to use split shots again so had an idea of cutting the top of a 12 gauge cartridge #5 shot and use the little pellets inside...... man did I ever hit the jackpot when I emptied the content into a little bowl :w00t: I have enough to last for a long while now :lol:

Nonetheless those little pellets did the trick..... added 5 of them inside the pocket / groove that I created and glued the pieces together. Once the glue dried, shaking the piece produce the sound that I was looking for.... a little higher pitch then the split shots I used previously on my other project B)

On the following pic, I've added a 4" spook along side the 3" ones so to give you perspective

Enjoy!

IMGP2103.jpg

and another angle

IMGP2104.jpg

Leechman :D

Edited by Leechman

Hey Leechman, have you tested any of these? I hate to mention this again but the placement of your eyelete (to which you attach your line) is not in the same place as on a traditional spook. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling the offset angle (around 45 degrees) is important to the proper action of the bait. Maybe I'm making too big a deal of this, but I see the amazing work you're putting in and I hate to think you're missing a crucial design element.

Hey Leechman, have you tested any of these? I hate to mention this again but the placement of your eyelete (to which you attach your line) is not in the same place as on a traditional spook. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling the offset angle (around 45 degrees) is important to the proper action of the bait. Maybe I'm making too big a deal of this, but I see the amazing work you're putting in and I hate to think you're missing a crucial design element.

I have tested the very first one I made (6" one) back in August and it performed just like the real deal. But that one was a little too big for the setup I have..... that is why I down sized to 5's, 4's and 3's. I've never owned one before, only seen it used by another angler and the ones I make are from the memory of seeing one.

I've also tested the 5" one back in late October and it also performed just like the real one. I just did not catch any fish with it yet :)

Thanks again Fishnwire for your positive feedback..... I really do appreciate it B)

Leechman

this is the best picture i could find Jaques you can see how the eye (where line is tied) is on a bit of an angle downward personally i would prefer if they were angle upwards which would reduce the effect of sinking on the topwater

Great job on them by the way! lookin good

Matt!

heddon_super_spook_duo.jpg

this is the best picture i could find Jaques you can see how the eye (where line is tied) is on a bit of an angle downward personally i would prefer if they were angle upwards which would reduce the effect of sinking on the topwater

Great job on them by the way! lookin good

Matt!

Thanks Matt!!! I can see now how the front eyelet is angled downward. I guess I wasn't paying attention when I looked at the one that my friend was using :lol:

leech they look awesome congrats

Thanks corvette!!!

jaques.............................................................AWEESOME WORK!

now..... hard season is around the corner.

with all the practice with your tools i think your ready to start working on mastering some ultra light ,ultra sensitive ,perfectly balanced and eye Breaking tip - ups.

this year are you going to make them with reels?

ill try to look on ebay to get you some quality ones for a low price.(reels)

dont give up man!

Edited by fishing 24/7

jaques.............................................................AWEESOME WORK!

now..... hard season is around the corner.

with all the practice with your tools i think your ready to start working on mastering some ultra light ,ultra sensitive ,perfectly balanced and eye Breaking tip - ups.

this year are you going to make them with reels?

ill try to look on ebay to get you some quality ones for a low price.(reels)

dont give up man!

Thanks Kev!!! I might make some new ones this year but I think the last ones I made last year are the ultimate ones. Don't forget to pick up Stephanie's set. They will require reels also :canadian:

Jacques

Leechman, those look awesome. I've long considered trying to make a few lures of my own. What kind of wood did you use?

Thanks Weeds!!! It's white pine. I've made a tremendous amount of tipups last year and saved the cutouts.... that's what I've been using for the wooden lures :D

DoooOOOOOoood!!! Those are magnifique!!!! I'm seriously impressed...thanks for sharing...you've got mad skills!!!

Thanks Johnnyb!!! I'm really proud of those..... the paint job came out real nice B)

Looking good Jacques!!!

What would you call the black and chartreuse paint job?... chartreuse skunk?

I like the black with the white polka-freckles too!

Thanks Glen!!! The paint job is all about how I feel at the time I'm getting into it..... that one turned out awesome. I like the sounds of chartreuse skunk B)

The white polka-dots is another one of my favorites!!!

Lookin Good Jacques I like the white diamond touch with the signature.

So when are you quitting your job.

MTP

Thanks Mike!!! Yes the diamonds were somehow quite an undertaking.... when I finally finished (after numerous times of trying, couple of hours :w00t: ) creating the stencil, it really was a good opportunity to stamp my name on them.

As far as quitting my job..... won't be anytime soon :lol:

I believe he's using White Pine.........He might be runningout of it though , the other day he was out front eyeing a large Pine tree on this front lawn.. :wacko:

Yes Paul it's white pine.... but I think you're wrong about the running out of it.....

Look...... got plenty still

IMGP2110.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Put in a couple of hours today of quality assurance testing on one of the JR's..... it works real good, got to accelerate the rhythm to keep it walking nicely on the surface compared to the other longer versions. Did not catch a sniff but was nice to be along the water edge :D

Created a couple of jointed ones to add to my arsenal..... with the added modifications that the good members of this board suggested, tapered ends at the joint, no split ring in between and an eyelet for a hook at the back.

Here a shot of them

IMGP2109.jpg

Now it needs a paint job :D

Will keep you posted on the development

Leechman