you know what really grinds my gears?

pike slayer

seems like the only fines you hear are the tourist ones, probably cause they completely rape the place and buy the cheaper license cause they already know they are gonna go over their limit anyways. I know its not only tourists that abuse it but it seems like most locals do smaller crimes like only going one over their limit or leave a night line out at their camp for a morning fish breakfast which is still wrong but you just dont hear of it cause its not large enough to reach the news plus they get away with it alot more

seems like the only fines you hear are the tourist ones, probably cause they completely rape the place and buy the cheaper license cause they already know they are gonna go over their limit anyways. I know its not only tourists that abuse it but it seems like most locals do smaller crimes like only going one over their limit or leave a night line out at their camp for a morning fish breakfast which is still wrong but you just dont hear of it cause its not large enough to reach the news plus they get away with it alot more

i don't believe it's because tourists are " cheap" or rapists of our waters, as far as i know a non resident whether they be from saskatchewan or florida they only have the option of a conservation license and not a sport, as far as locals being caught with "one" extra fish thats likely one per trip or outing resulting in maybe 20 or 10 or 100 fish over their limit over the course of the year and one night line may only kill a few fish after people let them go the following morning because they're too small so when ya start to think of it as Rick said earlier locals are the ones who do the most damage by far wether it reaches the public's eye or not. so think about "one" extra fish on a provincial scale

Worm Dangler...I've lived in the north. It's not just a 'one over' problem. The locals just know where and when. The tourists get caught because they are predictable and pass high traffic areas.

Stop blaming non-residents...we are the ones doing the lion's share of the damage.

Anyone who has lived in the north knows this is true.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

It's DEFINITELY true. I was born and raised here...

Catch and release angling has been slower to catch on in regions where the fisheries weren't already depleted. locals up here are constantly blaming americans and natives for all of their hunting and fishing woes. just remember, when you point at someone you have 3 fingers pointing right back at yourself.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

but i still think these guys should have been nailed to the wall, along with any locals who are caught illegally killing any fish or animal... (and that includes seagulls :P)

shhhhh doc!!! dont bring up the ugly past! ya i realise what locals are doing and they are the main problem. i have alot of friends and know of lots of people that break the laws. i tell some ppl that i went out fishing for the day and i just caught and released didnt keep anything and they thought i was nuts! i feel everyone tourists, locals, natives, etc all play an equal part in abusing it and something should be done but probably wont. i posted this cause i feel the fines were so small for what they did.

i too would like to see higher fines in any overfishing cases.

they cheap out and buy the conservation license just to make it worse!

Careful about painting all of us "tourists" with a broad brush!I always buy a regular license and can count the number of fish I have kept on one hand.My brother can also say the same thing.Check with the lodge owners if you would like..or ask a few guys here.Now that I think about it many Americans that frequent this board(some not so often anymore because of some of the sentiments from some of the newer members)all buy the regular license in case they catch a Musky that can not be revived.You cant keep a Musky with a consevation license.

Joe

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i don't in any way paint tourists with that brush in fact i think the opposite. 99% of sportsmen that come up from the states respect and love the beauty of the country in the same way as many of us. they catch fish, they take a few home, and the memories they take home are lifelong.

a few, like these gents come to canada with intentions of exploiting our nations easy going, trustworthy management of our resources. they aren't in canada for the aesthetics or the people, they are merely here to consume and destroy.

there are these types of people that are canadian residents as well. i find tim's hortons cups in areas that are FAR too remote to be wanting to see that sort of crap.

we're all on the same team, regardless of what country we are from.

Careful about painting all of us "tourists" with a broad brush!I always buy a regular license and can count the number of fish I have kept on one hand.My brother can also say the same thing.Check with the lodge owners if you would like..or ask a few guys here.Now that I think about it many Americans that frequent this board(some not so often anymore because of some of the sentiments from some of the newer members)all buy the regular license in case they catch a Musky that can not be revived.You cant keep a Musky with a consevation license.

Joe

Thank you Joe your a wise man

I buy a non resident annual sportsmans license every year, I haven't brought any fish back for quite a few years, but I do indulge in a few walleye dinners while visiting

Guest Johnny Bass

Honestly? I think this fine was adequete. $600 each they had to pay for stealing 5 extra fish each. Jail time for 5 fish? Don't be ridiculous.

Its bad enough so many people are in there that shouldn't be.

I agree that natives/commercial fisheries are the major problem. I hear they net fish over their quota and they sell them to the states.

Locals also abuse the law as they feel it is their right to take as much fish as they like. And these are they guys that complain that everyone

rapes "thier" lake.

I suspect that tourists are easier to catch than locals. Someone who has to transport their extra fish is more likely to be caught than the local who has a freezer full of fish in their basement. Plus the tourists are more likely to be fishing popular waters (lodges etc.) while the locals fish the more difficult to enforce back lakes. These factors make trying to judge the number of infractions based on newspaper articles misleading.