Q for Ron & Mike

GBW

Hey Ron and Mike.

I know the lake my folks are on the locals submitted a statement stating they do NOT support any new changes to FMZ 17. I’m sure there are a bunch of other lakes that sent in documents like this as well. As an avid angler and happy to see the new changes what kind of resistance and or disputativeness can we expect from said locals and what is our best way to avoid a situation? The last thing I want is get off the lake to go get my kids to come out and fish with me to come back and find my hut damaged, destroyed/burnt down with no offenders in sight. Your thoughts to avoid a potential problem or “situation” are appreciated, thanks.

Geoff

Guest gbfisher

there is no way to stop what people might or might not do.

Now where am I supposed to get a small Muksy for dinner.... :o

Edited by gbfisher

I had that problem on Simcoe, they broke in stole my stove and propane tank and other smaller things :angry: . I only had a permenent hut out there 1 season and that was enough for me.

Get a good portable hut and then you don't have to worry about it.

I had that problem on Simcoe, they broke in stole my stove and propane tank and other smaller things :angry: . I only had a permenent hut out there 1 season and that was enough for me.

Get a good portable hut and then you don't have to worry about it.

I have a good portable, clam 2000. But just to run in and get the kids I don't want to take it down. This is why I am asking. So I get out, get it all set up and pick up the kids for some fishing. Thanks though.

The reason for this whole topic is we all know there are going to be some :blahblah1::asshat: out there that thinks they are the law (and they are not the law) and that the whole lake is their lake. I guess I better print off 100 copies of the new reg's and keep'em handy to hand out to any :asshat: telling me to get off the ice...

I agree with Ron. Conduct yourself in a professional mannaer and be respectful of people and everything should be fine. They will be some opposition to this, there always is with new changes but this is a great chance to get out and enjoy our resource with family and friends, it's worth defending.

Some groups wanted to keep "their" lake closed but in the end the MNR decided to extend the angling oppourtunties to everyone in the region. If "their" lake only has small panfish then chances are nobody will fish there anyway. Problem solved.

Hopefully they will see the huge upside of this for this region.

As anglers we should take the time to point how fantastic this is. We can take the kids out ice fishing without having to drive 1+ hours in any direction, it will add millions of angling tourism dollars to this region, it will help protect our resources and build our fishery. The list goes on. :D

Personally I going to follow Ron and drill right next to him because that guy can catch small fish.

Hey Ron and Mike.

I know the lake my folks are on the locals submitted a statement stating they do NOT support any new changes to FMZ 17. I'm sure there are a bunch of other lakes that sent in documents like this as well. As an avid angler and happy to see the new changes what kind of resistance and or disputativeness can we expect from said locals and what is our best way to avoid a situation? The last thing I want is get off the lake to go get my kids to come out and fish with me to come back and find my hut damaged, destroyed/burnt down with no offenders in sight. Your thoughts to avoid a potential problem or "situation" are appreciated, thanks.

Geoff

Personally, I don't intend to leave a hut on the ice over night. As you have stated, some people have not supported this change but the majority have. I am certain this will be a large topic for the first year but in the long run, as with all other regulations, it is for the better of the fisheries in whole. If your hut gets burnt down, damaged, destroyed etc... You would be best off to contact the local police authorities.

Similar to ensure you have respect to peoples properties. I am quite certain the Police will be called if there is damage and such to private property. This would also include illegally parked.

Thanks Ron. My concern is not an over night hut but getting my clam 2000 set up, run back to the cottage, get this kids and get back out to see my hut damaged from some :asshat: . I now know where the pan fish are on the lake where our cottage is and it's just out of view from the house... either way, thanks again.

I see this as a total plus!! For fisherman and Buisness owners. As for the people that dont like it, they have a choice/Live with it or move on. Its the Law now so get over it. First year you may get some people that may not know about it so carry a copy of the regs and be nice and show them. If your going to put a hut up and leave it out make sure you get a number from the MNR. I use to have a shack and found it better to leave it unlocked that way i never had to repair the door or window. Leave nothing in it and 99% of the time you will find it in the same shape you left it. Get to know the local cottage owners in the area that you fish. Drop off a fish or two for them if they like to eat fish. I have found that being nice is always better then getting in a huff with cottage owners. If you see garbage left on the ice and its not yours pick it up dont give people a reason to say this is a bad Idea. Just my 2cents worth

Guest skeeter99
Hey Ron and Mike.

I know the lake my folks are on the locals submitted a statement stating they do NOT support any new changes to FMZ 17. I’m sure there are a bunch of other lakes that sent in documents like this as well. As an avid angler and happy to see the new changes what kind of resistance and or disputativeness can we expect from said locals and what is our best way to avoid a situation? The last thing I want is get off the lake to go get my kids to come out and fish with me to come back and find my hut damaged, destroyed/burnt down with no offenders in sight. Your thoughts to avoid a potential problem or “situation” are appreciated, thanks.

Geoff

your hut problem is easy

dont lock it

dont leave anything in it

dont put it by itself (stay close to other huts) guys out there police other huts

dont put your hut on scugog anymore

get a snow machine or atv and buy a portable

Now I'm a little paranoid...I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars to buy a hut and put out a hut on Balsam, might be the only one out there, so it is conveniet for me and friends and kids can fish whenever we want in a comfortable enviroment....and some guy who doesn't like the new regs might come and burn it down...nice !

Balsam Laker