"Claiming" a road kill deer?

Burtess

Freak deer accident today.

At around noon in Dundas a buck (8-pointer, looked to be about 280lbs, body was large compared to its rack) bolted across a fairly busy street. My neighbour saw it coming and was able to stop her Ford Focus and the buck jumped over her car, its rear hoof just clipping her passenger side windshield pillar. It then plowed straight into a heavy railing past the sidewalk (2" tubluar) with its chest and then fractured its skull on the sidewalk. Thankfully it expired in about 5 minutes. Looked like it must have done some severe internal damage as it bled out profusely and quickly.

A hunter pulled up moments later (before the Police arrived) and said he would claim the buck. When the Police arrived, they said that really he couldn't take it, that it was the property of the Crown. He stated that animal control would take the carcass and dispose of it. He said that you would have to get permission from the MNR, but they would never give it. We reasoned with him that it was better to allow this gentleman to take the animal and put it to good use rather than let it go to waste. He then allowed him to take it.

What is the law in this regard? Are you allowed to "claim" the animal or is this illegal?

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess

It is the property of the crown, but if you hit it, you have first right should the crown decline...which they will. The MNR has more pressing things to deal with than picking up road kill. Any cop working in an area with alot of deer knows this. It is wiser to put the meat to good use and to not waste taxpayer money on a pickup that results in a carcass going to the dump.

The best part about road kill is that it has been tenderized... Mmmmm tenderized road-kill deer

This one wasn't even "tenderized".... no damage to the body, and it expired very quickly... should make for good eating for sure.

Burt :)

Sounds to me like the cop was hoping to fill his own freezer. I know lots of guys who have claimed the meat from a road kill they were involved in...I have to admit I'm not sure how they did it, but if there is harvestable meat, someone usually gets it if they want it.

It's not like anyone is going to purposefully hit a dear with their car...its not worth it.

That cop was most likely looking at a "confiscation" that would end up on his BBQ> I ask an MNR officer about road claim deer and he winked and told me he gets 4-5 a year just following up on road kills

Edited by Fang

Having been involved in a number of road kills, i guess as stated they are property of the crown but the MNR will not come and get them in most cases. Generally speaking the person who hit's it usually has the rights to it and can give it to someone of their choosing. I have never seen an MNR at a road kill site cleaning up.

I know the OPP in our area have a list of people to all to pick up road killed deer, and if it is messed up too bad or no one is available then it becomes a clean up job for the municipality to dispose of it(usually where i come in), i have kept a number of good road kills we have had to clean up, the rest get sent to the dump.

I you are keeping a road killed deer there is a form you need to get from the MNR that allows you to have this meat in your possession. It is especially important when your not a deer hunter and are not licensed, but it's still a good idea to fill it out if you keep a deer anyhow.

Sad to say but i think the cop you dealt with had either some alternative motives or was misinformed.

I hope this helps,