A good hunting boot?

siwash

Hey gang,

I am just getting into hunting. I want to purchase a good quality boot and I need comfy shoes since I tend to have some issue with my feet. I have a high arch/instep. I don't mind spending a bit more if I have to to get comfortable boots.

I plan on hunting a variety of game so I could be standing in a deer stand, turkey hunting or moving around for rabbit, grouse,etc... I will probably hunt waterfowl too.

I know there's no perfect one -boot-for-all-applications, but would might come close? I hear Danner amd Irish Setter are good boots. I've also been told to stick to 800 thinsulate min.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I bought a pair of Irish Setter gortex/leather 3 years ago and I put them through hell and they look and fit like the day I bought them. My dad has Rocky all gortex and loves them. Both are very comfortable and extremely warm. The Irish Setters are a tad heavier than the Rocky's. I hunt jack rabbits a lot and walk fields for hours with no problems. Hope this helps.

Take a look at this website...they deal mostly with Rocky..... www.bigfootshoeclinic.com

The guy is a little strange but really good to deal with!

If you have an orthotic plan through work, this is the guy to go to!

There's some good 1400 thinsulate, Cold Weather hunting boots that I've just ordered....

He'll even send you the foam inserts via fedex too!!!

Edited by AzuluSpookd

Take a look at this website...they deal mostly with Rocky..... www.bigfootshoeclinic.com

The guy is a little strange but really good to deal with!

If you have an orthotic plan through work, this is the guy to go to!

There's some good 1400 thinsulate, Cold Weather hunting boots that I've just ordered....

He'll even send you the foam inserts via fedex too!!!

That's a bit of a strange website!

I allways hear about how good flat bottom John Boats are. I know a few duck hunters/trappers who have them.

1436%20Jon.07.01.JPG

Yea those are nice boats for hunting, but he will still need a good pair of boats to go hunting in ! hahaa

Im lookin for new boots as well ! Good thread and good luck finding some !

LMAO!!!! I can't believe I missed that. That will teach me to read the other posts before I reply. :oops:

I wont edit my post so everyone can laugh at me.

Good luck finding your boots. ha ha

I didn't wanna say anything... but ya, that was a weird response to my post!!!

I should have added that I really do want as light a pair of boots as possible...

The Kamik products are pretty good as well.

I Use these

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/2725,13...-F-For-Men.html

They are awesome for warmth, and double as great winterboots for Icefishing.

Very light weight for such a heavily insulated boot as well.

Nice thing is the price...not to steep

Can you move around in them? I mean if you're trecking 10, 15, 20km in a day long hike for rabbit, etc, will tye be comfortable?

A good pair of hunting boots is a good investment for sure. About 10 or 12 years ago I invested in a pair of Kodiaks, constructed with gore tex and thinsulate. Cost was about $300.00 back then. They've been comfortable since day 1 and are still in great shape. In fact I put about 8 miles on them today. Every part of my body aches right now, except my feet..

Grouse.jpg

So I went with the Irish Setter Mt. Claw XT 600 Thinsulate.

They're really comfy...nice design and quite light - gortex as well

I just hope the 600 gr. thinsulate is adequate. I fugure I can wear some quality wool socks to add heat.

I cant beleive the pricing! only $90! for gortex... I love America! I also bought a Field and Stream "Micro Tricot Quad Parka" for $120 (reg. $170) Nice breathable and weatherproof hunting jacket/coat in real tree camo. It's one of those reversible jackets... looks and feels great...

So I'm set!

By the way, I bought these items at Dick's (Galleria Mall). Went to Gander and almost bough the Danner's for $170. I found them bulkier and heavier - probably cause of the 1000g thinsulate.

For $90 I could resist the Irish Setters

Thanks to the Buffalo area folks who helped me out..

Cheers

Edited by swordfish