Got to take the bad with the good

misfish

Last night we had some snow happening.I wasnt to optimistic about it staying on the ground,but at least the temps were colder.

Woke up to this. :thumbsup_anim:

20091103_02.jpg

Nice cool temps this morning, 0 degrees,slightly cloudy.That full moon was not as bright as the day before.

Again,I head to my climber. The leaves were pretty wet,so the walk in was very quiet,except for a few snaps of dead fall.I try to kep a clean path,but they fall everyday. :dunno: Only down fall about wet leaves,you got to really keep a keen eye out while in the stand.You wont hear them coming.

Set up by 6:15.The wind was nil. One of those mornings you would expect something to come out.

I sat there til 2:45 then the rain started,AGAIN.

It wasnt hard to tell the weather thats coming over night is going to be nasty.They are calling for high winds,rain and snow here.The squirrels were really busy,scattering around with mushrooms and corn peices,hideing them away.They say to watch for this in the bush.The reason being,if you see them really active,the deer cant be to far behind.Well they must be miles behind,cause they never showed. :lol::lol:

Atleast I can laugh about it.Even after sitting in the stand for 9 hours.Oh my butt.

I hate to move,cause that voice in the back of your mind says,If you move,they will come.

Well anyways,I made a couple of fake scrapes today and douced them in buck urine.I even put the trail cam in front of one of them.

20091104_03.jpg

Once that was done,I headed to the top end of the corn field,wind would be in my face.I wanted to walk the tree line back and see if there were any rubs or scrapes.There were none,but the night bandits sure are reiking havic on the corns edge.

20091104_05.jpg

With the knocked down corn,it makes for easy pick,ns for the deer aswell.Not a bad size inprint.

20091104_04.jpg

The corn I hope, will be down in the next week or so.

Getting close to the exit where the truck is,you can see that main trail the deer use. Two shots.Standing,and down low.

It,s like a highway.

20091104_07.jpg

20091104_08.jpg

Well thats another day in the outdoors.

Hopeing the weather man is wrong for Thursday,but hey,I,ll still make the drive just to walk about and check the cam.

On a side note. I heard a gun fire off five rounds today.Shotguns are only to hold three rounds,unless you take the plug out,and thats eligal. :wallbash::asshat:

Thanks for reading again.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it only for duck hunting that you are limited to 3 rounds in the shotgun?

I could NEVER sit in a stand for 9 hours. an hour and a half is about my limit...I don't shoot many deer

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it only for duck hunting that you are limited to 3 rounds in the shotgun?

I looked through the regs,and could not find that 5 shells were aloud.

Maybe Im wrong,but I shoot a shotgun, and it holds 3. 2 in the tube,1 in the chamber.

Maybe thats why they sell packs of 5?

Edited by misfish

It was -4C this morning when I got up..... nice frost all over. Can't wait to get out tomorrow. Up where I'm going ( 140Km's North ) snow is in the forecast, which to me is good. Maybe we'll see better tracking.

I'm still hopeful to meet Mr. antlers somewhere in our area.... got to have below zero temps to get them moving around during the day. Not the most comfortable for us but I don't mind at all. Been quite warm and it's just a matter of time before one of them makes a mistake of crossing in front of me.

Keep at it Brian..... sooner or later, one will make a mistake :D

Good luck out there!!!

Jacques

I looked through the regs,and could not find that 5 shells were aloud.

Maybe Im wrong,but I shoot a shotgun, and it holds 3. 2 in the tube,1 in the chamber.

Maybe thats why they sell packs of 5?

You can hunt deer with 5 in a 30-06, I can't see why you can't have the same number of slugs in a shotgun. I think its only for ducks because after 3 shots they would be out of range.

Thats what we were taught 35 years ago in hunter safety training. Everybody just keeps a plug in because it looks good I think.

Everybody just keeps a plug in because it looks good I think.

...or because anyone that needs more than 3 shots while deer hunting should take up golf instead :P:D

straight from the MNR website:

Question Re: Number of Shells in Shotgun

Do I need to plug my 12 gauge shotgun, so it can only hold 2 shells in the magazine, when I'm hunting deer or grouse?

Answer:

Yes, the regulation which restricts the number of shells in a shotgun to three (one in chamber, two in the magazine) apply to all hunting, regardless of species.

...or because anyone that needs more than 3 shots while deer hunting should take up golf instead :P:D

straight from the MNR website:

Question Re: Number of Shells in Shotgun

Do I need to plug my 12 gauge shotgun, so it can only hold 2 shells in the magazine, when I'm hunting deer or grouse?

Answer:

Yes, the regulation which restricts the number of shells in a shotgun to three (one in chamber, two in the magazine) apply to all hunting, regardless of species.

TY for clearing that ch312.

Seems to be a whole lot of golfers hunting around my Dads place. He was telling me he has heard well over 100 shotgun blasts in the past three days. Most coming in three's. I guess shooting from the hip while a deer is in full flight is what hunters feel is ethical. There are about eight guys camping out on a large piece of property where all the banging is going on. They either have 5 tags each or are poaching ever deer they see. They must also be taking about ten shots to put one deer down because there isn't that many around those woods to take all those slugs flying about. I have found dead, unclaimed deer in the past wounded from bad, unethical shots after the controlled hunt was over. I guess there will be a few more for the coyotes this year.

Thanks for the report Brian. I will be in my stand on Saturday and Sunday. Hopefully there will be something left to see. The three Bucks I have pics of lived through last years hunts so they should be even smarter this year and survive again.

I was out again today too...hurt my back yesterday, which is really limiting how long I can sit at the moment...I was blown away this morning, when I heard 8 shots, yeah...8 shots...one after another, then a I heard 6 more, but in sets of 3's....somebody out there is hunting with something they shouldn't be...8 shots.

It was a beautiful morning for sure, but I just couldn't last. Now I'm on nights right now and tommorow night, but if it's okay in the morning tommorow, I may head out for a couple of hours...we'll see...

Thanks for the report.

Sat from nine oclock to dark today and saw only two does just before last light.

strong west wind here today is what i think kept them from moving during the day

gonna sit fri afternoon and this weekend although temps are supposed to be

10 to 15 deg c sat and sun

not really good for deer moving

but they should be heavy into the rut by sun or monday

fingers and toes crossed