NW Ontario Muskies

troutologist

Friday at work turned out to be a weather network staredown. When they say winds NW 50km, they usually mean 30ish I was hoping....not so much.

After work Friday I was packed and set to return to ON in search of the muskies who were less than cooperative at Lac Seul last weekend. Weather in Winterpeg was gale style winds but clear. As we neared the border a full on whiteout decided to make the drive more interesting. As we passed the 3rd plowtruck, I pondered how many times I'd towed a boat around a plow. To further complicate matters, deer were everywhere, why are they in front of my truck on snowcovered roads with no visability and not in some corpse of evergreens bedded down? This vexed me.

After celebrating our arrival, and the arrival of a few other groups it was 3am. Prehaps we misjudged when the clocks turn back. Anyhow we headed up the lake armed with coffee baileys and ski goggles for the run up the lake in 4 footers in the tiller. As a side note the new boat is unreal.

We trolled, and trolled (and trolled) with only a few pike to show for our credit. Ambient temperatures and the diminutive size of these fish prompted us to release them boatside without breaking out the camera.

With eyes glued to the GPS we navigated the minefield home as darkness drew and winds finally subsided. The Yankees were kind enough to delay their start until I returned to watch. Saturday night was an early one. We wanted an early start Sunday.

On the water early in mild east winds we travelled far afield, breifly stopping to fish a few points and reefs enroute. As we arrived at the spot, it started to snow, heavily. In turn this changed to those giant flakes of wet snow, so efficient at sticking to and soaking everything. As we trolled south it began to hail, nothing big just the 1/2" type. Afterwhich we had what I can only refer to as sometype of horizontal ice pellets driven by furious east winds. The ensuing 6 hours of rain were a welcome repreive.

Minaki_Oct_30-Nov_1_2009_002.jpg

BUT through it all we found a speed, depth and lure color that piqued the interest of a few esox. Some pike in the mid 30's told us they enjoyed an accelerated trolling speed. Coming around a point adjacent a reef, not too far from a current neckdown my rod stopped over 20fow, thus starting a great battle between the muskie and myself. Seeing the net slide under it was satisfiying, as it was the first one I had been the "guide" for. A few hooks quickly cut, and a pic and measurement.

Minaki_Oct_30-Nov_1_2009_003.jpg

Minaki_Oct_30-Nov_1_2009_004.jpg

She was ready for release and swam away after about 10 seconds.

Minaki_Oct_30-Nov_1_2009_005.jpg

After a brief celebratory hot chocolate we trolled on, losing 2 nice fish. Another fish kind of "pushed"?? the lure right up to the surface and out of the water, there was a scale on the lure but no fish. Later we connected with pike fat pike of 38 and 38.5" (photos on buddy's camera)

Great weekend overcoming poor weather to find some nice fish. Bonus was I returned home to find my house in tact after not being there to give out candies to the kiddies and watching another Yankee win.

Guest Johnny Bass

Yup! It must feel good to nail a nice fish. If your gonna freeze your butt off you wanna come home making it feel all worth it! Thanks for sharing.