Fat Fall Simcoe Smallmouth

Minnow

Hey Guys,

Went out with my grandpa for some simcoe smallmouth this past week on 2 seperate outings and had pretty good success both times, on thursday we boated 8 smallmouth of which 5 were over 4 lbs and 2 over 5 lbs. Then today we hit simcoe again really early 6:45 am we were on the water still dark outside and by 10:00 am we were done with a slower day with only 5 smallmouth but again some really quality fish. I find in the fall I never catch smallies that are under 4 lbs at the same spots that I usually catch dinks in the summer, fall is the best time for smallmouth and braving the cold really pays off! Here are some pics from the outings and forgot to mention all the fish were caught on smoke coloured tubes and a few on spoons in anywhere from 22-30 FOW.

SimcoeNov1st.jpg

SimcoeOct29th2.jpg

SimcoeOct29th.jpg

SimcoeNov1st2.jpg

Gorgeous bass for sure ... were they released in good shape?

Seems most smallmouth bass caught from deep water in the fall that are put into a livewell - require fizzing or some other treatment to releive pressure in their extended air bladders. If these bass are caught and immediately live released - they swim down fine ... but held for awhile in a well - this is not always the case and they could have trouble 'gettin-down'.

Wil

Beautiful fish! Well done & as a bonus you got to do it with your grandpa, doesn't get much better than that! Wil's correct, once those fish are in the livewell for any period of time they need to be fizzed. Anyone who is catching Smallies out there should know how to fizz a fish! I catch all kinds of them that have either been fizzed at a tournament or by some other angler!

Cheers,

Dave

Beautiful fish! Well done & as a bonus you got to do it with your grandpa, doesn't get much better than that! Wil's correct, once those fish are in the livewell for any period of time they need to be fizzed. Anyone who is catching Smallies out there should know how to fizz a fish! I catch all kinds of them that have either been fizzed at a tournament or by some other angler!

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for all the replies guys!

In regards to the fizzing, I learned how to do it last year thanks to this board and reading some replies to fall smallmouth, of the few fish that I do keep in the livewell they are all fizzed before going back and swim away strong. I encourage everyone to learn how to fizz a fish and for this reason I will post this how to video on youtube. That is what I love about this board, I learned new knowledge last year and can now pass it on to other anglers. So if you don't know what fizzing is or how to do it, check out this video

As for the Ranger, well all I can say is wow! Everytime I look at the boat or fish from it I still can't believe it! I have had the Ranger 620 VS for almost 2 full seasons now and it has performed beyond any of my expectations! The boat has the smoothest ride and feels right at home in 6 footers. I went out in Erie and the wind picked up and we had to make a 20 km run straight into 6-8 footers and even though I wasn't hitting the 62 mph top speed the Ranger took on the waves with ease. I had a small issue with one of the bolts coming out of the caliper on the trailer from vibration and this caused some minor damage to the caliper and brake rotor and ranger replaced it with no questions asked the customer service is outstanding. I hope to have this boat for many seasons to come and everytime I look in the rear view mirror while driving to my favourite lake I still can't believe what I am towing (all thanks to my dad)! :thumbsup_anim: