"No History of Colonialism"

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

So, our PM recently told the G20 meeting in Pittsburgh that our country has no history of colonialism. I can't believe our PM would have the gall to make such a ludicrous and arrogant (not to mention entirely inaccurate) statement. How exactly do we, one of the greatest countries in the free world, have a man who will misrepresent history and insult the intelligence of the global community so badly. And this a year after apologizing for all those NON-COLONIAL residential schools that scar the recent memory. This isn't too far off that nutjob in Iran denying the holocaust! I mean, the colonizing of North America was a physical and cultural genocide!

Sorry for my rant, I just can't believe our leader just embarrassed us in front of the global community like that.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

this shouldn't have to do with being a conservative. admittedly i am not a supporter, but my conservative friends know what colonialism means. i would hope pride in our country comes before pride of a party.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
No offense meant Doc, but shouldn't you be holed up somewhere with your lovely bride, discussing your own colonialism? I know I would! LOL

HH

You raise a good point!

you're looking at a completely different issue. Canada herself has been a 'colony' up until recent decades. We have never had formal 'colonies', we have been the colony. The PM is not denying history, just abiding by the classical definition of colonialism.

Canada does have plenty of skeletons in the closet, the one you mention being arguably the most dispicable

Tambo

you're looking at a completely different issue. Canada herself has been a 'colony' up until recent decades. We have never had formal 'colonies', we have been the colony. The PM is not denying history, just abiding by the classical definition of colonialism.

Canada does have plenty of skeletons in the closet, the one you mention being arguably the most dispicable

Tambo

Good catch.

JF

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Good catch.

JF

if only semantics were a sport, you'd be a star player!

you can't say we have no history of colonialism if it was part of forming our "colony".

trying to be "slick" and suggesting that our colonialism wasn't canada, but was in fact the brits or the french is just plain silly. the Indian act itself was a colonial legistlation passed by Canada.

if only semantics were a sport, you'd be a star player!

you can't say we have no history of colonialism if it was part of forming our "colony".

trying to be "slick" and suggesting that our colonialism wasn't canada, but was in fact the brits or the french is just plain silly. the Indian act itself was a colonial legistlation passed by Canada.

But isn't the point what Mr. Harper meant? Perhaps what he's really guilty of is not saying things clearly enuf for everyone to understand.

JF

Well, if he means we have no history of colonizing OTHER countries, yes that is true. But we did colonialize Canada..but it wasn't Canada then..soooo... I guess he is technically right.

Strictly speaking the Brits and the French colonized what became Canada. Canada hasn't colonized anything since it came into being. Ergo no history of colonialization.

However, I looked up the word in an online dictionary and got this -

co⋅lo⋅ni⋅al⋅i⋅za⋅tion  /kəˌloʊniələˈzeɪʃən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kuh-loh-nee-uh-luh-zey-shuhn] Show IPA

–noun 1. the act of bringing into subjection or subjugation by colonializing.

Now, if it had stopped right there I'd have to say Mr. Harper was treated unfairly here. However, it went on to say this -

2. the state or fact of being colonialized.

Here is where a semanticist could have a little fun. I'm not saying I agree with this part of the definition (based on my own understanding of the word) but arguably at first glance the second line makes Mr.Harper a liar.

JF

Here's one that says it better -

colonialism - Definition [kə-lṓnē-ə-lĭźəm]

(n.) A policy by which a nation maintains or extends its control over foreign dependencies.

Dictionary.com · The American Heritage® Dictionary

This is I believe what Mr.Harper was talking about. Of course one would need to see the context to be sure.

JF

Remember to whom the remark was addressed - the members of the G20, many of whom DO have a history of colonialism, so I doubt whether there are any semantic qualms involved in how they understood it.

This is a non-issue, IMO.

So, our PM recently told the G20 meeting in Pittsburgh that our country has no history of colonialism. I can't believe our PM would have the gall to make such a ludicrous and arrogant (not to mention entirely inaccurate) statement. How exactly do we, one of the greatest countries in the free world, have a man who will misrepresent history and insult the intelligence of the global community so badly. And this a year after apologizing for all those NON-COLONIAL residential schools that scar the recent memory. This isn't too far off that nutjob in Iran denying the holocaust! I mean, the colonizing of North America was a physical and cultural genocide!

Sorry for my rant, I just can't believe our leader just embarrassed us in front of the global community like that.

Doc why dont you direct your Attention and Rant to the Battlefields Commission Andrea Jeaneau spinelessly backing down to a few Sovereigntists from having the Plains of Abraham Re-enacted on its Birthday. If this keeps up, well never even know what our roots and history is. There are some people that actually want to change or hide our History. Its Happening and obviously working. By the way, I think Harpo is doing a great job considering half of his Bills are being blocked. Just my opinion. At least you listen to some of the news. Not all CBC I hope.