Almost Lost My Job

TennesseeGuy

I had a good offer on my business and we were supposed to close the deal tomorrow. The money was there.

But.......................... I told my doctor/fishing partner the news and he said in a half scolding tone, "What are you going to do?" I took that to mean, other than quit, go home, do nothing and die. That put me to thinking.

Next I drove, alone, to Cumberland Mountain State Park Restaurant for lunch a week ago last Thursday. Sorry Dawg, but this is true. The dining room was filled with geezers for pork chop day and they were all talking. Loud. Too loud. Nobody could hear and if they could they didn't want to listen. They were kicking around topics of great interest such as getting home for a nap, what day does the girl come to cut our grass, where will we eat tomorrow,.................? I drove home depressed from the experience.

Next morning I was hurrying to be the first one at work. If I'm there first the others might think they're late and work harder. Anyway my neighbor, a young retiree, pinned me down in my driveway to tell me a ten minute story about how he won a game of computer solitaire in just one minute.

Yesterday morning I backed out of the deal and will be out of my driveway early Thursday morning heading for one of my favorite fishing holes. I'll be the only one in camp. It would be nice to have another boat on the water in case my Honda tries to lay down on me at the wrong end of the lake in the wrong part of the day.

My name is still on the sign and I dodged umemployment.

I had a good offer on my business and we were supposed to close the deal tomorrow. The money was there.

But.......................... I told my doctor/fishing partner the news and he said in a half scolding tone, "What are you going to do?" I took that to mean, other than quit, go home, do nothing and die. That put me to thinking.

Next I drove, alone, to Cumberland Mountain State Park Restaurant for lunch a week ago last Thursday. Sorry Dawg, but this is true. The dining room was filled with geezers for pork chop day and they were all talking. Loud. Too loud. Nobody could hear and if they could they didn't want to listen. They were kicking around topics of great interest such as getting home for a nap, what day does the girl come to cut our grass, where will we eat tomorrow,.................? I drove home depressed from the experience.

Next morning I was hurrying to be the first one at work. If I'm there first the others might think they're late and work harder. Anyway my neighbor, a young retiree, pinned me down in my driveway to tell me a ten minute story about how he won a game of computer solitaire in just one minute.

Yesterday morning I backed out of the deal and will be out of my driveway early Thursday morning heading for one of my favorite fishing holes. I'll be the only one in camp. It would be nice to have another boat on the water in case my Honda tries to lay down on me at the wrong end of the lake in the wrong part of the day.

My name is still on the sign and I dodged umemployment.

Wuss!!!... if you can't find something to do when you aren't working, shoot me a PM... I have a list! ;)

Me thinks Norma had a hand in this, didn't want to loose you to LV.

I wonder if the same deal presents itself next May what the outcome will be.

TG since your going solo throw another Honda in the front of the boat just in case, it's not like you won't have enough room. I won't be there to retrieve another boat :D

Good luck!

Unless you have activities to keep you busy, retirement is no fun. I know many who went back to work 2 years into retirement out of boredom.

Me, I'm forced into retirement due to my health. Thankfully I love to fish 3 days a week, but if I didn't have my tackle making or the farmer's market, I'd go nuts.

Connie, good to hear from you.

Give us a post on your Red Lake adventure. Lots of pics plse . Maybe the ticket is semi retirement. Retire and then find a job that is stress free. Kind of puts you in a different frame of mind. I dont have to worry about timings, 40 people under my command, accidents, death, physical fitness, or sleepless nights wondering if I done the right thing or if I'm ready for my next hurdle. Of course money is an issue, but with my lifestyle I just need a job over minimum wage to keep my same lifestyle. Now its a pleasure to work, just got to show up, if I'm late Ill make it up, I work out because I want to, and just worry that I keep and look busy. In 2 years Ill be even in a better position when I'm mortgage free. I figured I better enjoy my Military pension sooner than later, hence retiring at 25yrs vice 35yrs because Ill lose it when the old age pension kicks in. Plus at my age, it was time for the next generation to take over. I wasnt keeping up with change.