Destroyed By Mr Musky

MCTFisher9120

I went down to the river to try out the new combo for awhile. Was throwing a jerkbait for awhile then went to a buzbait. Thought it would be a good match with the MH rod. Was throwing it around for awhile at a spot, then left then returned for a few more casts. Burning it in through logs a 35"+ Musky smashed this 1/40z Chartruese Cavitron buzzbait! I waited a second then layed the hooks into him, he started ripping drag(that was TIGHT!!) to the right of me along the shore and I had not very much control of this fish, like I'm a baitcast amature and this thing owned me lol

Was still fighting it out for maybe 15 more seconds then my line stops changing dircetion but it's still going out :o I see the water moving around and I'm running around the shore from side to side keeping tenshion and trying to get it out, after taking my shoes off and about to run in i see 1 last big wake come up then my line came spitting at me...no leader, no buzzbait, no MUSKY!

I was heart broken. I thought I had this fish but it wooped my but, but man is the fight different on a baitcast. btw, I got one 5second birds nest on like the 5th cast, after that i was under tuning it for distance and i was doing fine, with some problems with direction.

This was a step in my path to my achivement this week(for those of you that have my Facebook saw my goal) of catching a Scugog River Musky. Looks like a new leader and another buzzbait will be tied onto the rod.

In this picture to the left in the tangles was were the beast was holding upon my return to the spot...And the pic prior to the spot.

This bait had a trailer hook, a trailer... :(

ScreenHunter_02Sep221849.jpg

And the spot

ScreenHunter_03Sep221850.jpg

Unreal, Until the Musky is caught,

MTBF

i go bass fishing i catch perch, i go ferch fishing i catch sunfish, i go sunfish fishing i catch perch, and finally i go perch fishing and a pike eats it..... pain in the bottom..... lol go get that musky, mike! i have yet to catch me one of those big suckers.

JP

Edited by bigredneck

he started ripping drag(that was TIGHT!!)

maybe that was the problem! What pound test were you using? A musky makes powerful runs. A drag too tight may lead to broken line or rod, or cause a hole around the hook to form allowing the hook to come free if fish gets any slack (see head shake or airborne fish to create slack in line - muskies do em both, often at the same time!)

maybe that was the problem! What pound test were you using? A musky makes powerful runs. A drag too tight may lead to broken line or rod, or cause a hole around the hook to form allowing the hook to come free if fish gets any slack (see head shake or airborne fish to create slack in line - muskies do em both, often at the same time!)

Like this fish kept on running, unreal of the strenght it had. The drag was fairly tight and the line was 20lb test. Been using it all summer for bass with no problems. My concern was pulling it back from the cover, i had a trailer hook and the main hook so in the heat of the moment i thought i could get him in, perhaps it was bigger than i thought, but it had a thick back, like a 2L pop bottle...was a big musky/

Like this fish kept on running, unreal of the strenght it had. The drag was fairly tight and the line was 20lb test. Been using it all summer for bass with no problems. My concern was pulling it back from the cover, i had a trailer hook and the main hook so in the heat of the moment i thought i could get him in, perhaps it was bigger than i thought, but it had a thick back, like a 2L pop bottle...was a big musky/

have you ever been salmon fishing? its quite the experience too! just like musky they are a powerful fish but if you got the right drag setting you can almost guarantee yourself a nice meal... I myself have never eatin musky but have been told its pretty dang tastey.

Cool Mike,

Just a question. What type of knot were you using on your setup? It is possible that the knot slipped if you were using braid.

Palomar knot man, like the tension under this log that i couldnt see was pretty tight bit the fish was still pulling line some how, i had no control and even had time to get my shoes off in attempt to "get in"...not sure what he was on but a lighter drag might mean more tangles. not sure, all I know is i have fuel for the hunt.

I have yet to have a knot slip(even with braid) but under that circumstance im not sure what could of happened...

Palomar knot man, like the tension under this log that i couldnt see was pretty tight bit the fish was still pulling line some how, i had no control and even had time to get my shoes off in attempt to "get in"...not sure what he was on but a lighter drag might mean more tangles. not sure, all I know is i have fuel for the hunt.

I have yet to have a knot slip(even with braid) but under that circumstance im not sure what could of happened...

Hmmm. Good knot.

My thought is that your setup should handle this fish.

Maybe the fish was bigger than 35"

Too bad you weren't using the improved clinch. you'd have landed that fish!!!

set your drag for "very light" if you're going to use that wimpy ass palomar knot! :rolleyes:

Edited by GCD

Hmmm. Good knot.

My thought is that your setup should handle this fish.

Maybe the fish was bigger than 35"

Perhaps 40 but that drag was very tight and it pulled away like nothing, i litterally battled this fish for a good 15seconds until she got hung up...it was strong and somthing i never experienced before, like i said to somebody else, it's back was like as thick as a pop bottle...

looks like 20lb braid on that reel.. which offers very little in terms of abrasian resistance. if the line came in without a leader i'm guessing the line broke when the fish had its way with you by rubbing on rocks, logs, whatever or, your leader was short and the fish chewed through your line. now you know why people use 65lb + line, 135lb+ fluro or wire leaders along with heavy rods.

Is that one of the rapala ts2 rods? I think I have the same one paired up with a shimano curado. First one I bought, the glue on the trigger part of the grip came loose. I returned it to bass pro and they exchanged it for me, been using it for about 4 months now and no problems! Lovin it, and the price was definitely right.

He probably rolled in the line and cut you off with his gill plate. Like others have said, I'd go with higher lb test line and a longer leader for musky. I caught my very first musky in the Scugog river when I was 12yrs old on a jig & minnow with 6lb test mono and no leader, so luck plays a role when you aren't targetting them. How is school going?

i lost a decent sized muskie on scugog this past weekend as well. Well, technically I didn't really had him on, he just took a swipe at my spinnerbait and rolled. The moment i felt that little tug and the boil/roll (plus seeing the huge fat belly) ... my heart just stopped.

It would have been my first ever muskie ... ahhh well, another 10,000 cast I guess lol.

Edited by Victor