Ever Get Sea Sick?

The Urban Fisherman

Hey guys,

Anybody have any tricks to avoid getting sea sick?

I don't post stuff from Dave's website often because there's to many haters out there that will accuse me of "spamming" but this is a good one... We recently went on a shoot out to the east coast and I got sea sick to the point where I was face down a bucket. I was good to go until the 40 mile run back to shore... :lol:

Oops, apparently "dynamic Pages in Tags aren't allowed so you can see the pix here:

http://www.factsoffishing.com/photoblog.php?id=138

Have a good one! - and by that I don't mean a good laugh at my expense....

Cheers,

Ryan

Sorry Ryan, but I got a good laugh out of just reading the title before I even opened the thread! :w00t:

I've never been sea sick but have seen many people that did get it!

My best tips are to stay out of the cabin and in the fresh air... watch the calm horizon and think about the fuzzy bunny!... if you're going to take sea sickness meds, start taking them the night before!... limit your intake of alcohol (none is best) and avoid greasy food.... if you do eat food make sure it's seafood so as to make a good chum when you hurl over the side!!!

No I have never gotten sea sick............but once we went on a stupid whale watch out of Boston, Ma and it was HOT and SUNNY........the boat had a air conditioned LARGE cabin but that looked like sick bay because it was filled with Asian people who puking....so I finally found some shade just outside the cabin door where the roof extended........I was sitting there for only a few minutes when this nice looking Asian man started to walk up to me.....I thought he wanted to chat.......but then he bent over and puked in the garbage can next to me.......I went back to the stern of the boat and baked in the sun for the 4 hour tour......it was only suppose to be 3 hours but they couldn't find any whales so we stayed out a extra hour.........they gave us tickets for another trip that are good anytime........that I find hard to believe because the first time was good......LOL

Yep.

My lesson:

Don't combine lots of Mexican food from the resort, with lots of free beer on the bus ride to the deep sea charter and then proceed to sit in the cat bird seat sucking in diesel fumes in 12 foot swells. :oops:

Second lesson:

Working in the back of a low flying twin otter in horrible turbulence, dropping rabies baits that stink like nasty chicken. Fifteen odd years later and sometimes I still can't eat chicken soup.

Quote from the web site:

"I have to give it to Ryan he held it together all day while we were shooting and never complained. I guess when the show was done and we started heading back it became a little too much."

Sounds like Ryan is a real pro. :clapping:

Using a camera is not the way I would want to spend my time on a boat.

Edited by kickingfrog

Dawg's got it right. Stay abovedecks and keep an eye on the horizon. I always laffed at the pukers on the dive boats (and the ones who had to yak into their regs underwater).

Back in my young and foolish days we often sailed in weather that should have scared us - but it was always in open boats (we weren't rich) so I had no idea about the consequences of losing sight of the part of the world that was forever flat. Then one day I went sailing on a rich guy's boat, with a cabin & a head. I made the mistake of going below decks to get a camera and the Mal de Mer hit me in spades, like a great stinky truck. - INSTANT PUKERY!!!

From that day ever after I stayed above decks on the lakes and the oceans and never again suffered the joys of feeding the fish. Even when those around me were tossing their cookies left, right and centre, my own tummy stayed the course, and you don't know puking till you've spent a few hours with 5 other divers on a small boat in 10-12 foot waves. I'm so committed to keeping the horizon in sight that I've been known to ride out nasty water by wearing my mask and snorkle on board so I can breathe while being washed by the waves and spindrift - and sitting out where I can see the shoreline.

But really, I think the Great Lakes are worse than the ocean for puke inducement. Those choppy short wave lengths are murder. The ocean gives you big fat rollers that let yer tummy get tuned in. On the Lakes yer belly's goin' up as the boat's goin' down, and that means yer lunch is goin' north faster than yer esophagus goes south - baaaaad juju.

And there's no shame to getting seasick. Experienced divers take it in stride. I've seen grown men hold up a finger and say "Excuse me." in the middle of a sentence - turn and hang their head outboard letting forth with a mighty YYYAAAKKK!!!, wipe their lips and return to the topic with nary a blink. One guy I remember from Mexico was even trying to talk around the massive outletting to let us all know there was a sea turtle riding the waves beside the boat. Unfortunately for the turtle he blew chunks all over it, but it didn't seem bothered by the lunch shower.

So as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to seasickness, real men just let 'er fly - and damn the consequences. It's only food, after all. Divers call it chumming, but what do they really know about fishing?

JF

:lol::lol::lol: Been there, done that & puked all over the T-shirt. Went out on Lake Ontario on a Salmon charter when I was about 14 or 15 and boy was it choppy (in my story anyways). I spent first few hours puking over the side of the boat and laying on the floor. Almost got stepped on a few times as the other guys were fighting fish around me. Took some gravol and felt great for the last few hours! Never had it again since that day.

Quote from the web site:

"I have to give it to Ryan he held it together all day while we were shooting and never complained. I guess when the show was done and we started heading back it became a little too much."

Sounds like Ryan is a real pro. :clapping:

A real man would have worn a turtle neck, pulled it up over his lips when the intestinal unrest started and kept on filming. Clothes can be washed but great images missed are gone forever.

JF

I feel for you Ryan......recently experienced a bit of that myself.....was lucky though and kept my stomach contents in my stomach. Looks like most things that I know of have been mentioned already but here is one or two just in case...

avoid caffeine the day of

pretzels and ginger ale on the boat....small bites sips

be well rested and hydrated before hand

banana a few hours before

keeping your eye on the horizon is key, unless you are out at night..pray for lots of boats in the area lol

I feel for you Ryan......recently experienced a bit of that myself.....was lucky though and kept my stomach contents in my stomach. Looks like most things that I know of have been mentioned already but here is one or two just in case...

avoid caffeine the day of

pretzels and ginger ale on the boat....small bites sips

be well rested and hydrated before hand

banana a few hours before

keeping your eye on the horizon is key, unless you are out at night..pray for lots of boats in the area lol

Hahaha!!!... sorry bly but I can't help it!!!

I've heard that being in a boat in the fog is the worst!... you know you're moving (trolling) but it doesn't look like it!... bleeeeeah!!!... Raaaaaalph, Eaaaaaaaarl.. where'd you park the Buuuuuuuuuick??? ;)