Night time-Topwater

Weeds

Well....I've been reading so much about other members having fantastic outings going topwater that I figured I'd give it a go. It was cool....Sitting down by the river in the Darkness by yourself is kind of creepy but once you get past that it's also kinda nice. Almost immediately I hook into what I'm pretty sure is a decent Musky on my Scumfrog close to shore, took the bait completley silently, big head shakes, strong steady pull, huge boils and...........gone. Spat the hook. Over the rest of the evening I must have missed closed to 2 dozen hits. Ended up with 2 Rockbass, one biggish, and two small Smallmouth. Interestingly I had most of my hook-ups when I set the hook as soon as I felt the fish rather than waiting although It was dark so they may have already had the lure for a second or two; it was hard to tell what was going on exactly. It was a lot of fun all the same, nice to know I can fish 24 hours a day. Somebody do me a favour and tell my familly I'll be back mid November when the season wraps up. :D

I/ve tried topwaters in the dark in the Grand and it is spooky like you said. Up to my shorts in water, only using moonlight for contrast. I haven't landed any after dark. I will try again in the Spring. Can't beat the rush of topwater hits.... fisherman's crack!!!! (not plummer's).

Paul

that first fish you lost might have been a 10lb bass!! :o:lol:

for me, i find that I usually feel the weight of the fish not too long after i hear the surface strike .. either they completely miss it, or i get'em .... or maybe my reaction is just too slow lol. But i guess it's somewhat different because i was using a skitter-pop most of the time ... might be different for a frog :S

You are good to set the hook as soon as you feel the fish like you said!

Last weekend, I was using a crazy crawler and it was a little bit easier to operate than a Chug Bug at night. I find that you reel in the crazy crawler until you feel weight, and then set the hook!

Top water is lots of fun for sure and even better at night! I love hearing the hit before even feeling it! I can see that night fishing with a scum frog would be tougher as setting the hook is so much harder than on a treble hook lure. Me and a buddy did some night time scum frog fishing a few weeks back but didn't get so much as a nibble so I can't relate to landing the night bite on a scum frog...but do look forward to trying it again!

Somebody do me a favour and tell my familly I'll be back mid November when the season wraps up. :D

I hear ya

My friend Paul and I have had great success fishing after sundown..... my favorite lures were jitterbug or hula popper.

There's no words that can explain the thrill of top water bite when you can't even see the lure as you real it in and then you hear a big slash B):w00t:

Keep at it and try different lures.... I'm sure that at some point you'll connect with some lunkers!!!

Leechman

My friend Paul and I have had great success fishing after sundown..... my favorite lures were jitterbug or hula popper.

There's no words that can explain the thrill of top water bite when you can't even see the lure as you real it in and then you hear a big slash B):w00t:

Keep at it and try different lures.... I'm sure that at some point you'll connect with some lunkers!!!

Leechman

Jitterbug is a winner

as is a black spinnerbait for largies.

We use a couple others as well. I like baits that make more noise than frogs but if you are fishing the heavy stuff your options are limited.

I love night time fishing.... and ESPECIALLY with a Scum frog....

it comes across the slop so well and when a fish hits it... they usually chomp right down on it... not sure if its the size of it or the fact it something moving on top of the slop... but the fish HAMMER IT when they go after it...

As already said, and you seem to know already, setting the hook AFTER you FEEL it is key....

Truly a different set of senses that WE are operating on while night fishing...

here are a few pics to keep u going

note the scum frog in its mouth

Biglargmouthbassintherain1.jpg

here is a Glow in the dark Scum Frog

mrbigmouth12-1.jpg

not sure why this one is so odd looking,, but again at night

bignightimebass.jpg

and one I caught recently just after dark

Biglargmouthbassintherain2.jpg

go get em... they are fun at night....

and don;t let the noises in the woods spook you TOO much :P :P

an