Streetsville Dam

laszlo

I went for a walk with my dog Ida along the Credit River today. I was looking for the Streetsville Dam to see some Salmon jumping.

Is there a way to get right to the dam or do you have to wade the river to get behind the Mill. I couldn't find any paths / roads to get to it.

I did adventure different parts along the path from Eglinton all the way up to Bristol Road. It's a great path considering your just

outside the city.

Any info would be great. Thanks.

Hi Laszlo,

there's a wonderful tool available on the internet that will guide you not only to the area you mention, but also to many other wonderful places.

Go here, http://maps.google.com/ and type "streetsville, on". You can then manipulate the application to zoom in on the specific portion of the river that you want to look at.

Good luck!

p.-

Hi Laszlo,

there's a wonderful tool available on the internet that will guide you not only to the area you mention, but also to many other wonderful places.

Go here, http://maps.google.com/ and type "streetsville, on". You can then manipulate the application to zoom in on the specific portion of the river that you want to look at.

Good luck!

p.-

I tried that trusty tool you speak of before I left but it doesn't seem like there is access. I did find a way to get south of it by a couple hundred yards and the same above it.

Should anyone wish to go to the Streetsville Dam through the surrounding lands, they will be trespassing. Kraft owns both sides of the river and will come down heavily on violators.

I don't know if you put this up to keep people away from the dam, but, uh, no. Kraft retains ownership rights but operation of the fishway & public access is granted to the province.

If you really really see some crazy salmon action contact Andy at the Ringwood Hatchery and sign up for the egg collection. Every chinook stocked into Lake O comes from eggs collected from Streetsville.

http://www.ringwoodhatchery.ca/

And before anybody gets some bright ideas, the whole area is a fishing sanctuary and is policed fairly well.

I don't know if you put this up to keep people away from the dam, but, uh, no. Kraft retains ownership rights but operation of the fishway & public access is granted to the province.

If you really really see some crazy salmon action contact Andy at the Ringwood Hatchery and sign up for the egg collection. Every chinook stocked into Lake O comes from eggs collected from Streetsville.

http://www.ringwoodhatchery.ca/

And before anybody gets some bright ideas, the whole area is a fishing sanctuary and is policed fairly well.

no Kraft owns both sides of the river and the dam, they have global security protocols and only via agreement with OMNR is anyone allowed access, the agreements have strict communication protocol and violators will be charged. Kraft has a 0 tolerence for any tresspass to property issues

There is no public access to the ladder of kraft property what so ever

You can reach the dam by wading up or downstream. As far as I know, there are no legal issues with this approach, as long as you don't use the bank on either side.

Another way is to volunteer with the CRAA when they're in fish-lifting mode, which is typically when the steelhead make their runs upriver. You'll meet some great folks and learn a lot while you're there.

What happen to the old bridge you could access and watch the spawn?

Have things changed that much down there?

There use to be soccer field and all that stuff at the park.

I could walk right to the dam.

Edited by misfish

It hasn't changed that much.

There are pedestrian bridges in the park, as well as below Barbertown road.

However, you were never supposed to be able to access the ladder or dam via land, since both sides of the bank are privately held. You may have done so in the past, but technically, you were trespassing if you reached it by land.

no path

no waders

just bush and river

welcome to fishing the "good spots".. .at least that's what my buddies tell me when I am yapping about having to walk a kilometer in through 1-2 feet of snow for trout on the Maitland river.....

or a half kilometer through thick UN-CUT brush for some prime fishing territory on another nameless river...

i didn't have waders when i started and eventually bought some cheapies from Canadian Tire.. ;)

figure it out.... do it... and come post a story of the fish you catch because the place isn't over fished with "fishermen" that won't put some effort in to it B) lol

or as NiKe and the new Depends commercial says : JUST DO IT ! lol