Electric Downriggers to Boat Battery

bluesky1713

Connect the positive wire to the positive post negative to the negative post. Make sure you have a fuse in the positive wire, 15-20 amp should do and as close to the batter as possble. Did you get a manual with it, should be able to get an on line manual for the downrigger with instructions

No manual (bought it used) and nothing available online unfortunately.

Would I be able to wire an extension cord (with outlets in one end) to the battery so that I don't have to splice up my downrigger wire (which has a male connector at one end)?

No manual (bought it used) and nothing available online unfortunately.

Would I be able to wire an extension cord (with outlets in one end) to the battery so that I don't have to splice up my downrigger wire (which has a male connector at one end)?

Yes, however I would use a three prong connector(leave one prong unsued) just to make sure you never accidently or someone else plugs it in backwards.

Fisherman,

I am a little confused on what you mean by leaving one prong unused.

To recap:

- The downrigger power cord has a three prong connection.

- Which I would attach to one of the female connectors at one end of a power cord.

- I will splice the other male end of this power cord and connect to my 12v battery (negative to negative, positive to positive with a fuse on the positive).

When you cut the plug off, the center will be green(unused), and most likely and black and a white. Keep the black for negative, white with a fuse for positive. Hope you have figured out which prongs on the downrigger plug are positive and neg.

Edited by Fisherman

When I had my bigger boat set up for big lake fishing, I used a power bar with a 5 amp. circut breaker in it wired to the charging battery, (white to junk. black to neg.)This I would use for the downriggers. I could plug four riggers into it if needed. If I remember correctly each downrigger had it's own circut breaker also,... just in case.

Tom.

It's a 1996 Big Jon Sportsman.

I was wrong about the connector for the downrigger. It is only 2-prong. Which is no big deal. Except that I do not know which prong is positive and which is negative. Will there be serious repercussions if I plug it in backwards? And is there any safe way to figure out + or - on the 2 prong male downrigger connector end?

I am all set up, I just have to head down to my boat and test it out. White wire to a 20 amp fuse to a little metal alligator clip. Black wire to another metal alligator clip. Does it matter which way the fuse is connected (is there a backwards)?

Sorry for my ignorance. I have absolutely no electrical experience.

Thank you everyone for all your help.

No, there's no backwards wy to connect a fuse. You're best bet is to try the downrigger at home, connect the wires to the battery and give it a very short click on the switch to make sure it's going in the right direction, if not, reverse the wires. When you have it right, mark the direction of the plug. Gone fishing. Good luck.

much more simple that it appears

go get a power chord that has a built in fuse breaker. Cut off the plug and connect an alligator clip or battery clip to the white and black wires. Green is ground and is not required. Attach white to red on battery and black to black

Plug in the downrigger. Grab the cable so you have tension on it and hit the switch to let out line. If it's in series it will work. If not flip the downrigger plug around and test again

I know I printed: "white to junk. black to neg." Don't know what happened there and who would screw with a post.

I'm out of here.

Tom.

Instead of using the word positive, you used the short Piece of Crap. Which I can't even do because it triggers the swear filter. PeeOhEss , is of course, a well used short form for a common swear word.