Kopper's Live Target baits..

grinandbearit30

They are incredible lures and work really well. Wait till you see the new Pumpkinseed line... just awesome looking... nothing on the market with the details that Koppers has put into these baits that I have seen... and it's not just the paint job... the body molds are crazy!

JP

In have used the Smelt, the SMBass and the full body Crayfish.

They all worked great.

The perch hasn't been that good for me.

Perhaps I haven't figured it out yet...Mine seems to roll when I jerk the bait...I will try reeling it a stead pace to see if that works better. With the top water bite being so hot I haven't been using cranks much so far this season.

Lots of pretty lures on the market.......A perch is a Perch is a Perch..... :D

I've got to agree. I don't think that the perfect perch color or any perfect "looking" lure makes that much of a difference..... I think the vibration or the way the lure wiggles is way more important than the color of the lure, But then again I didn't profile these lures on my TV show...

-Ben

Edited by Ben_Daniels

Can't say I've ever used one but a friend purchased one to try. He used it on smallies and clobbered them. Unfortunately after a half dozen fish most of the paint was gone and the lure was full of water, he's a little dissapointed.

Can't say I've ever used one but a friend purchased one to try. He used it on smallies and clobbered them. Unfortunately after a half dozen fish most of the paint was gone and the lure was full of water, he's a little dissapointed.

If 6 bass caused the paint to were off, what would 6 pike or musky do to the paint job?

You spend the extra money for a fancy paint job, but after a few fish (or even just bouncing around in the tackle box) they all end up looking the same.

They do look like nice lures though. Anyone else have any issues with the paint wearing off??

Edited by F to the Is-H

They are incredible lures and work really well. Wait till you see the new Pumpkinseed line... just awesome looking... nothing on the market with the details that Koppers has put into these baits that I have seen... and it's not just the paint job... the body molds are crazy!

JP

I've used the perch and have caught numerous walleye and SM bass on them this year. Quite impressive detail.

Have used the shallow diver Smelt (blue) in the spring for Chinook Salmon with success.

Replace the hooks right away! they are not strong enough for salmon. We used 2X strong Owner and 2x strong Gamakatsu round bend trebles in size #4.

I've used the deep diving & shallow Smelt quite a bit this summer and I'm a big fan. Only a few bucks more than Rapala's but I like the action and they suspend really well. What I like the most about the deep diver is it's one of the few lures that keeps somewhat level instead of prominent nose down. Also cast a mile, using them off piers for whistletrout and salmonids.

The hooks are average and that pretty paintjob does come off way too easily, a few coats of rattlecan clear coat fixed that but for a premium priced lure you'd think they could put one or two coats on to protect the finish.

lots of interesting replies! But just to make it clear I am not affiliated with Kopper's or any other fishing company..I'm just a rookie who is trying various lures out, and when I don't seem to have much luck I like to check the opinion of others to see how they feel about a particulur product. I never caught anything after a couple of hours on this lure and was questioning the validity for its price..or my own ability to fish..but they sure are detailed and pretty...

Speaking of cool finishes. I picked this up from ebay for $3 and free shipping. Its jointed too. Can't wait to try it.

I have no idea of build quality (china), but I have spare trebles anyhow. I hope for $3 it does not fall apart on the first cast or dissolve in the water lol.

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/hannah200866/3_green_001.jpg

Edited by Syn

I use the perch for walleye and will try them for salmon. The paint job is fantastic, what puts it over the rapala or anything similar is the rattle I couldnt believe how loud it was, btw it did produce more walleyes than the rapala (trolling) on several occasions.

I like the crayfish cranks, but can't say that they outfish any other wide-bodied crank. For the price, I would get 2 Big Os and be confident that they would catch as many fish.

IMHO The perch crank just can't compete with a shad-rap. I find the Koppers very finicky: the least little deflection off a weed or rock seems to send them to the surface. As well, they seem to have a very specific retrieve/troll speed that will keep them running true. Shad-raps on the other hand are bulldozers. They run true at just about any speed and seem to stay down with a little bit of weed on them. I will say that the 4" Kopper seems to perform much better than the smaller perch crank they make.

The smelt seems like a very high quality lure: casts like a bullet, suspends well, and definitly catches lakers.

That level of detail seems important to me in a suspending jerk, but wasted on a reaction-bite lure like a crank. I have caught way too many fish on solid coloured cranks to believe that a realistic paint job is necessary on that style of lure.

i got a perch one in the tackle box that i bought last year when i first seen them down in the kitchener area before they made it up to more northern parts of ontario and i tried it a few times and it still hasn't broke its virginity yet, kinda disappointed. The perch one i have is a flat finish and i don't think it gives off much flash which attracts fish. i tried this bait on good fishing days where i'm nailing fish on rapalas and i toss out to compare with poor results. i'm not the type of guy that is coming up with nothing that will toss some lure out there that i never really used and hope i get lucky. i like to toss out old faithfuls when times get tough.