2 Stroke 15 HP Merc problems thoughts appreciated

Nemo

My wife is up at the cottage and is reporting a problem with the motor on the tinnie.

Apparently she can get it to start but when she puts it into gear (forward or reverse) it stalls out. They checked/changed the gas and still an issue. I suspect it is an issue with the carb such as blockage of the valve with dirt.

Any ideas on a quick fix or other causes to consider.

Appreciate your thoughts.

The motor is mid 90's 2 stroke 15hp.

Cheers Nemo

Buy her a nice Kayak.. :rolleyes:

Check for line around prop.

Or pull the plugs to see if fouled.

Check/replace the fuel filter.

Bang the side of the carb for a stuck float.

Call the local Marina.

Edited by danbo

I have the same motor (89 merc), and have had the exact same issues in the past. For me, it was a plugged up carb that needed a good cleaning.

For a potential quick fix, you can start the motor with the cover off. Manually throttle up the motor by pulling the throttle lever on the side of the carb. That way you can rev up the motor without it in gear. May clean out your carb a little.

It's an easy thing to try.

THanks for the tips gentlemen. THe plug was pulled and it is pretty dirty so I am going to replace it and the filter and have the carb cleaned. BTW where is the best place to pick up some Seafoam. I googled CTC for it and it didn't show....

Appreciate all the advice.

Nemo

THanks for the tips gentlemen. THe plug was pulled and it is pretty dirty so I am going to replace it and the filter and have the carb cleaned. BTW where is the best place to pick up some Seafoam. I googled CTC for it and it didn't show....

Appreciate all the advice.

Nemo

NAPA B)

Well it looks like it was the carb needle. Cleaned carb, replaced gear oil and spark plug. Total Cost $350 approx. Wow that hurts. Shop rate = $99 per hour. Most of it is time 2.5 hours. Is this reasonable for what was done?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Well it looks like it was the carb needle. Cleaned carb, replaced gear oil and spark plug. Total Cost $350 approx. Wow that hurts. Shop rate = $99 per hour. Most of it is time 2.5 hours. Is this reasonable for what was done?

Your thoughts appreciated.

I guess that depends if the carb was removed, disassembled and a new carb kit put in. Was that the case? If you left the motor at the service shop and they simply told you it was cleaned, they might have run Seafoam through it for you and little else? If a new carb kit was installed, the cost might be reasonable.

The lower unit oil you could have replaced yourself very simply and in about 15 minutes (and had nothing to do with the motor problem, as I'm sure you're aware).