Looking for downriggers...

bluesky1713

Looking to buy some downriggers for my boat. They can be manual or electric. New or used. I am looking at the lower end price-wise. I know Scotty is a top brand and Big Jon seems to make quality equipment. Does anyone have any advice on where to look for a good price (Canadian)? Also, what brand/model would be a good buy (price & quality)? Would a used electric Big Jon Sportsman be a smart purchase (wary about the motor)?

Thanks!

I own 2 Cannon Marlin electrics and have been soooooo happy with their perfomance. Easy access to parts at Fish307.com. They're over 10 years old and I've only had to replace 1 end roller in all that time. Motors still perfom well after years of abuse with hauling 10 and 12 lb cannonballs. I don't think I've ever owned an 8lber

I've fished regularly over the years on friends boats who have Walkers and Big Jons. Like the Walker but I found a few of the parts a bit plasticy but their motors are really fast and dependable. The only complaint I have on Big Jon's is they discontinued the spring up rod holders and on the 4 ft arms I find them a bit too bouncy in rougher water (just my opinion).

The only one I haven't used at all is the Scotty. Go electric right off the bat. Trust me you'll never want to wind in a 10 lb ball from 100 FOW

Check out the used sites on spoonpullers and check if anybody still has some stuff they're trying to sell. look at page 2 and 3 and contact the seller.

If I was buying again I'd buy cannon's again. They've been very good to me

Another vote for Walkers. Never had a problem in 5 years of hard fishing. Blew a fuse once which was my own fault. Bass Pro has new electrics for 300.00 which is great. Try this forum and others for used. You can get some pretty good deals if you look for them. D

Guest gbfisher

What ever you do...DO NOT BUY WALKER!!!!......

Vector is a good one as is Scotty which I have. I've had Cannon and had no complaints with them either.

Walker all the way, quality product!! around $500.00 each at Bass Pro. I have used my Tournament series for years and love them!!!!

Yup Walker for me too ... at least thats what I had on my boat for years without any issues ...