Registering My Boat

MCTFisher9120

Ok, so I want to make my boat registered and well mine. Where do I go to get this done? I took a bunch of pictures of the boat as it is now but next march I would like to paint it and improve on it more.

Where in or around Oshawa do I get this done at and well what happens? I'm assuming i get like a big #/letter code thing to paint on the bow of the boat.

Thanks for any help,

MTBF

Forget where you have to go, but I do know it makes it much easier if you get a bill of sale for the cost of the hull, trailer, and motor (it can be on 1 paper, just separate prices for each). As for the number its just a piece of paper stating your boat id number. Whatever number is on that paper has to be on your hull.

Forget where you have to go, but I do know it makes it much easier if you get a bill of sale for the cost of the hull, trailer, and motor (it can be on 1 paper, just separate prices for each). As for the number its just a piece of paper stating your boat id number. Whatever number is on that paper has to be on your hull.

Ok, but the boat was given to me by a older man who was a friend of my great grandmother. He passed away in May...

you'll have some fun...

FYI: pleasure craft boats are licenced, not registered...

basically since you don't have the pleasurecraft licence paper you'll have to get an affadavit from a lawyer ($50+)

since your boat doesn't have a pleasure craft licence # already, i'm not sure what the procedure is there... call them up and ask will be your best bet...

when i bought my boat, i had bill of sale and that was it... got an affadavit that boat wasn't stollen to the best of my knowledge

and then took that to the local licencing office, they looked up the licence # and issued me a new one in my name...

paid tax on the boat and it was now officially in my name...

Can someone help clarify this for me....

No matter the boat size, as long as the motor is 9.9 HP or under you do not need to license the boat?

What about a operators card? Does that apply if there is no motor/under 10 HP?

And do you need to register the boat?

Reason I ask, I'm getting a boat from my cottage and I have zero paper work from it...I just plan on puttering around shore with a trolling motor.

Do I need to register it? Do I need to license it (i assume not since I plan on using a trolling motor)? Do I need to get an operators card? I assume not because you wouldn't need one with a kayak but again I could be severely wrong?

I hate assuming things! We all know the saying!

With all the advertising regarding Boating Operators cards that are required for everyone by 15 Sep 09, regardless of age or boat size or motor size, you would think you might have picked up on that by now.

Haven't seen any advertising, thus why I asked the question.

What about registration? I know I don't have to license it since it won't have a motor.

With all the advertising regarding Boating Operators cards that are required for everyone by 15 Sep 09, regardless of age or boat size or motor size, you would think you might have picked up on that by now.

When do I need to get a card?

The Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations require operators of pleasure craft fitted with a motor and used for recreational purposes to have proof of competency on board at all times. These requirements are being phased in over ten years (see table).

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/debs/obs/...eratorfaq.htm#d

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/debs/obs/...man_powered.htm <--- if there is NO motor there is no need to have a card.

Does an electric trolling motor count as a motor? I guess it does have the word motor in it...

Edited by TC1OZ

When do I need to get a card?

The Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations require operators of pleasure craft fitted with a motor and used for recreational purposes to have proof of competency on board at all times. These requirements are being phased in over ten years (see table).

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/debs/obs/...eratorfaq.htm#d

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/debs/obs/...man_powered.htm <--- if there is NO motor there is no need to have a card.

Does an electric trolling motor count as a motor? I guess it does have the word motor in it...

:huh: I see after giving you the date of when everyone needs the card, I won't go any further except for you to go here and read: http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/debs/obs/paperwork/menu.htm

"Boat Licence Number

A pleasure craft licence is the set of identification numbers displayed on a boat. All pleasure craft powered by an engine 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) or more must be licensed, unless they are registered."

I wont need to get a license for the boat, since the motor will be under 10 HP.

"Boat Registration

Every vessel other than pleasure craft must be registered."

I wont need to register the boat because its a pleasure craft.

I guess my only real question is does a trolling motor count as a motor?.....Since its not man powered I guess it would be? Maybe I'll have to call someone, I know if I call a boating exam place they will tell me anything to get the cash out of my bank!

Again, I'm only asking these questions because I am really new to boating! (never owned one...I can count how many times I've been in a boat on my hands...)

You might be new to boating right now but give a little time on the water and you might have aspirations of moving up in boat size and or bigger areas to fish.It may serve you to do the exam now and have a card that is lifetime plus the experience of learning some dos and dont's on the water rather than wait and either pay more or have to do a more in depth exam later.With summer still kinda here there are booths set up during waterfront events that charge as little as 20 bucks to do the test.Pretty cheap and most of the stuff is common sense.

Mike, getting an affidavit can be done at a local community legal clinic.I had to do mine for my trailer when I got my boat.At that time I paid 20 bucks after swearing on a bible I was claiming it as mine(Had reg. papers for boat no ownership for trailer) .No problem having an ownership made up for it.I just had to separate the cost of the boat/motor and trailer for the taxes at the licensing office.I was fortunate as the trailer still had the manufacturers' serial# tag on it and everything was clear on it save for the owner I bought it from didn't claim purchase originally because it wasn't used on the road but as a cottage site storage unit.

Kerry

With summer still kinda here there are booths set up during waterfront events that charge as little as 20 bucks to do the test.Pretty cheap and most of the stuff is common sense.

Hrmm....my brother just payed $63 dollars in Muskoka at one of these. I told him he was an idiot for paying that much. They must of jacked up their prices because folks who vacation in Muskoka don't really worry much about how much things cost.

I guess my only real question is does a trolling motor count as a motor?.....Since its not man powered I guess it would be? Maybe I'll have to call someone, I know if I call a boating exam place they will tell me anything to get the cash out of my bank!

Again, I'm only asking these questions because I am really new to boating! (never owned one...I can count how many times I've been in a boat on my hands...)

If I'm paddling a motorboat while the motor is off, am I still required to have an operator competency card?

Yes. As long as there is a motor on board, it will be considered a powered vessel and the requirements will apply.

Electric is a form of power so yes you need your card.

If I'm paddling a motorboat while the motor is off, am I still required to have an operator competency card?

Yes. As long as there is a motor on board, it will be considered a powered vessel and the requirements will apply.

Electric is a form of power so yes you need your card.

That's what I figured. Thanks for the info!