custom rods are they worth it?

aplumma

I had a friend on the board build me a rod 2 years ago. (feel free to name yourself you deserve the credit). The rod was built for me with the following criteria. It had to balance a 6.4 oz titanium reel and be able to fight a 30 lb fish and still make a 3 lber fun. Well he built it and it is a dream to use and it will forever be in my arsenal for fishin up North. I had it spooled with 30 lb crystal and it set in the rod rack waiting for it's Northern trip till this Sunday. I decided to spool it with some 12 lb line so I can use it down here for bass fishing. I had forgotten how nice it is to cast a lure all day with a combo that weighs in at 14oz.... I had alot of fun Sunday fishing for smallmouth bass casting rattle traps and other light lures while the largest fish was but 2 lb's the joy and the memory of the person who built it for ME will always be appreciated.

Thanks again and take a bow I hope that you can give someone else the same quality and memories that you gave me today.

If you decide not to step forward I will be happy to give anyone who PM's me his name.

Art

Well I think they are definately worth it Art.

I got Paul one that Spiel made for Christmas. He was so impressed he got Spiel to make me one for my birthday this year. We both love them and use them every chance we get.

Joey

I hate to break it to you Uncle Artie... but those "custom rods" are just some shabby crap they throw together while half drunk and moderating/sanitizing my posts!!!

I'm sure I could do much better at the "clearance" rack at Wal-Mart!!! <_< ... but I still wish I could afford one!!! ;)

I guess when you describe the quality of a rod the builders reputation precedes him. Yes it is an original Spiel rod and one that means alot to me both for the action and the person that built it.

Glen just say the word and I will be happy to order you an original Spiel rod bud...C.O.D. :lol:

Art

consider this

how much are you going to use it ....if your doing alot of fishing then there is nothing better then a perfectly balanced rod that can translate the slightest bump or touch from a fish or river bed all the way back from your bait to your butt....but if your a few times a year type of fisherman the added expense of a custom rod isnt worth the effort unless you have money to burn...

Any hammer pounds nails like any rod catches fish ...ive adapted my hammering technique to "old " style estwings and my fishing style to St Croix and Fenwick at a fraction of the cost..although i do own 1 custom rod that sees the water only a few times each season because of fishing traffic ....( there are alot of "boe boes" out there that dont appreciate the cost or quality of a rod and feel no remorse when they smash their "daisy mart" rod against yours while fishing out of your waders) unfortunately i know this first hand hence the reason it sees water not as often as i like ...

Sheeeeesh I don't know what to say. :blush:

I do appreciate the kind words and I'm pleased to know that you all like the rods.

I suppose I'm the fortunate one though as I have owned dozens of Spiel custom rods. :D

I'm pretty fortunate too!!!

No Spiel's but I got a bunch of Drifter's!!! :lol:

Workin' on 4 new additions right now. B)

I wouldn't own a Spiel rod, it would ruin my fishin career. I couldn't go through life with out Sheephead :D

Plus one of his rods would embarrass my collection. :o

GCD: moderating/sanitizing my posts!!!. I like that one :D

I have to admit, Chris does fantastic work. I've see his own rods "ART" ;)

Why did I know you were going to do that, I've been exposed. Can't wait to Sheephead slim your rod, thats worse than a banana in your boat. :D

GCD: my post has been Sanitized by the Mod :D

Edited by Fish Farmer

consider this

how much are you going to use it ....if your doing alot of fishing then there is nothing better then a perfectly balanced rod that can translate the slightest bump or touch from a fish or river bed all the way back from your bait to your butt....but if your a few times a year type of fisherman the added expense of a custom rod isnt worth the effort unless you have money to burn...

Any hammer pounds nails like any rod catches fish ...ive adapted my hammering technique to "old " style estwings and my fishing style to St Croix and Fenwick at a fraction of the cost..although i do own 1 custom rod that sees the water only a few times each season because of fishing traffic ....( there are alot of "boe boes" out there that dont appreciate the cost or quality of a rod and feel no remorse when they smash their "daisy mart" rod against yours while fishing out of your waders) unfortunately i know this first hand hence the reason it sees water not as often as i like ...

I also own alot of regular rods some as cheap as $35.00 some ten times that cost. It is not actually the cost that dictated the rods purchase it is because it was the correct tool for the job. The rods that were purchased from brand names are perfectly suited for the job I use them for but their is something lacking. They started their life with no owner in mind it was a machine that put them together with only profit in mind. I have another rod that is just as light as the Spiel but it does not make me smile when I remember the story behind the rod that he built for me. I guess it is like looking at your favorite photo of the fishing trip you took with your dad. This post was more to encourage people that have a special rod or item to take it off the pedestal you set it on and use it for the job it was created for it will prevent you from forgetting how much you enjoy the item and the memories it has created and the memories still left to come.

Art