Musky bucktails/marabous

GbayGiant

It took 5 weeks in the mail due to the horrible weather to get the parts but they finally came, my musky cabin fever is on full tilt so I got to work on some bucktails and marabous. I built them with thick .63 wire and epoxied all the layers of thread, mustad hooks, # 8 blades, and the biggest one has the magnum #10 blades, got enough to make about 40-50 for now, I've made bucktails in the past but it's my first time dealing with the marabou and hackle feathers, I would sleep on them if they were hook-less. :sleeping_02:

gallery_322_145_45902.jpg

7 3/4", 1.5oz

gallery_322_145_17863.jpg

9", 2 1/4oz

gallery_322_145_19222.jpg

11", 3oz

gallery_322_145_20025.jpg

13", 4oz

gallery_322_145_32144.jpg

Now I will have a few boxes of marabous like Lew. :clapping: And the wait for musky season begins.

Very good looking baits.. I also make them but not the same as yours. Mine are smaller but they do work. I see one there that I know will take fish in Clair. I see your from G Bay. I fished there in 85 and would love to come back there.

I just wanted to say what a nice looking bait they are. Bob

Sent you a PM Crusty.

Thanks Bob, you should make a trip back to GB there are some nice fish out here, but it's tough fishing, you're lucky if you can raise 1 Muskie in a day but there usually big and I love hunting them. I like the small ones and big ones, those big ones can cast or troll, I like trolling the big ones.

GBay..........

Very nice indeed Bud..they'll get you a few decent fish.

We have a very similar stlye in choice of material and the construction of them.

You should do very well with those babies.

How are you bending the wire for the loop..that is a thick gauge. Ive gone through easily a dozen needle nose pliers, even though the first bend and wrap I bend with my fingers.

I use to use the .051 and when you have a decent fish on it can bend your bait beyond repair so I found you must go to the higher gauge as you have.

Next question....are you weighting them and if so how much?........shoot me a PM if you're gaurding the secret.

Great looking Baits.

-peter

Hey Peter,

If you look at my loops they are not round like usual, but just as good. I bend the wire into a U shape than put it into a vise, bend the top of the U back towards myself, than use small vise-grip pliers to clamp onto the tip of the wire and just pull it around a couple times and cut the extra wire off. (if that makes sense, watch the hooks you don't want to slip ;)

I don't know the exact weight because the digital scales I used were in pounds only, so I'll have to pull out the smaller gram scales to get exact weight, but they are very close to what I put above the pictures. They are tied on 1/2oz spring coils, then I add lead weight if I want a little more.

VERY VERY impressive indeed, John !!

Looks like you've done an excellent job and those should put some nice fish in your boat this year.

Now you need to build a boo-box to hold them all :thumbsup_anim:

BTW, I bought another boo yesterday at the show.......brown with brass, I think it'll work well.

Edited by lew